We're Right Back Where We Started | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're Right Back Where We Started

Reaction Score
I'm just hoping we find a way to beat Yale at this point. Might be our best shot for a win this season. Even UMass put up 28 on BC.

Reaction Score
At some point we need to collectively move beyond denial and toward acceptance.

We need to accept that, right now, we are a middle of the road FCS team. We need to judge our team by whether they are playing to the level of a mid-tier FCS team or not, because that's the best they can do. Obviously we should hold the program to a much higher standard, but I'm over getting angry at the team's performance. I've accepted who this year's team is.

Purdue beat us 49-0. They outgained us by 300 yards. If we're Lehigh (and, on a talent level, we're Lehigh), we say, "hey, that's not so bad -- we gained 250 yards against Purdue!"

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is where our program should be or where we should be setting our goals. But I am saying anyone who thought this wouldn't be the outcome of today's game is in denial about who our team is right now and what the UConn Huskies are capable of accomplishing.

Nothing is getting magically fixed next week. The same mid-level FCS squad is going to show up against Army and we should set our expectations accordingly. Maybe they'll give us a few reasons to cheer.

Believing this is an FBS team or an FBS program means you're living in denial. This is an FCS team and an FCS program that's been grandfathered into the FBS level. In the long term, we need to accept that we're right back where we were when we were transitioning up from I-AA, but perhaps without the hope and energy that come with that upward mobility. This time there's no BCS conference waiting for us on the other side.

Thanks for writing all of those paragraphs. You added literally nothing.

Reaction Score
There's no silver bullet when you have a young group of players, poorly coached, holes in the OL and a clueless OC. Belichek might be able to eek out a couple of wins but this is a project and a testament to a stubborn guy who couldn't adjust to his players or the game, and a University caught in a tight spot trying to turn back the clock on the cheap. My biggest frustration has been ringing the bell about this o-line, but now I'm convinced this coaching crew couldn't have delivered even with better players there. The rest of the year will be torture until we can put a staff in there that gives us some hope. I believe we have a core group including the recruiting class (as it stands) that can move forward fairly quickly. But we need a Head Coach to stop the bleeding and shore up a few holes. He'll need to be a proven winner with an entirely new approach.

Reaction Score
Look at the schedule and results from Edsalls first year in 2017. It's amazing how much more competitive the team was. The team sucked but they didn't lose 45-0 and 49-0. Then Edsall made changes and 4 years later the team is infinitely worse. I had forgotten that even a team filled with Diaco players could actually beat an FBS team.

It's official...Randy Edsall is a worse head coach than Bob Diaco. How the hell does UConn keep getting worse at hiring head football coaches?

View attachment 69727
Love your “handle!”

Reaction Score
I think some UConn fans, as well as Edsall, have not adjusted to the new normal in college football. The average points scored by the winner in college football yesterday was 41 points. I think Edsall thought you could still win games 20-17: but those type of games are unusual today. You have to expect your opponent to score, but you have to score as well.
I was saying this when Edsall was here the first time. Sure he won a few games, but was sowing the seeds of a boring, 1960's style program, that was not going to be attractive to high school football players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom