We're playing Washington on the road next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're playing Washington on the road next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly what I'm saying. Regional
coverage on CBS is not that big of a deal.

The contact pretty much proves that, but if you'd like to obsess over 2 versus 3 games that hardly anyone watches knock yourself out.

On an average Saturday, CBS does a 1.0 to a 2.0. Temple versus Kansas this year? 2.0

And by the way, most of the time, CBS had national games. They did doubleheaders and one tripleheader. In fact, they only showed a game regionally once the entire year (to save on production costs, I suppose). So these are national games.

Say worst case scenario they only pull a 1.0 (like Mississippi vs. Missouri last year). That's 1.0.

That's more than a million TVs nationally tuned into the game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I thought the trip to Washington was now NOT happening next year? This was reported in the last two months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On an average Saturday, CBS does a 1.0 to a 2.0. Temple versus Kansas this year? 2.0

And by the way, most of the time, CBS had national games. They did doubleheaders and one tripleheader. In fact, they only showed a game regionally once the entire year (to save on production costs, I suppose). So these are national games.

Say worst case scenario they only pull a 1.0 (like Mississippi vs. Missouri last year). That's 1.0.

That's more than a million TVs nationally tuned into the game.

And games like NC State and Duke on ESPN beat a lot of them.

Being on CBS just isn't that big of a deal. If you have a compelling game people will watch it anywhere. I imagine you know why Temple and Kansas did a 2.0 and are just being silly inferring something.

UConn has been on CBS hundreds of times and hasn't done them any good to this point - so is the difference between 2 or 3 games this really a big deal.

UConn and Washington can't be on CBS anyway since the Pac 12 owns the rights.

Reaction Score
And games like NC State and Duke on ESPN beat a lot of them.

Being on CBS just isn't that big of a deal. If you have a compelling game people will watch it anywhere. I imagine you know why Temple and Kansas did a 2.0 and are just being silly inferring something.

UConn has been on CBS hundreds of times and hasn't done them any good to this point - so is the difference between 2 or 3 games this really a big deal.

UConn and Washington can't be on CBS anyway since the Pac 12 owns the rights.

Good point about UW, but Stanford has to be a home game.

Have no idea what you're getting at with Temple and Kansas.

Only you could turn a million TV sets tuned to UConn into a "who cares?"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good point about UW, but Stanford has to be a home game.

Have no idea what you're getting at with Temple and Kansas.

Only you could turn a million TV sets tuned to UConn into a "who cares?"

Buddy you miss the point. ESPN gets ratings that are similar or higher. Having 2 versus 3 versus 4 games on CBS just isn't a big deal. Since CBS is paying with pennies and nickels they clearly don't think the games are a big deal either.

Temple and Kansas got a 'good' rating because it had an NFL playoff game lead-in. The rating doesn't reflect people actually watching, just the television being tuned.

This isn't 1990. Being on CBS is not that big of a deal. Having games people want to watch is. Have a good game and it's fine on cable.

Reaction Score
Buddy you miss the point. ESPN gets ratings that are similar or higher. Having 2 versus 3 versus 4 games on CBS just isn't a big deal. Since CBS is paying with pennies and nickels they clearly don't think the games are a big deal either.

Temple and Kansas got a 'good' rating because it had an NFL playoff game lead-in. The rating doesn't reflect people actually watching, just the television being tuned.

This isn't 1990. Being on CBS is not that big of a deal. Having games people want to watch is. Have a good game and it's fine on cable.

Temple v. Kansas was one of 10 games I looked at. Could have picked any other. Ratings were in that range. It did not get the highest ratings as a lead-in to the NFL playoffs.

As for the rating not reflecting people watching, just the channel people had on.... Uh, yeah.

Are you on drugs this morning or what?

How the heck is that conversation going to get us anywhere?

I too would love to see UConn highlighted on ESPN. Nationally. But somehow now a CBS national TV appearance is something to say, "No big deal!" Even though the ratings are similar to ESPNs.

This is one of the craziest conversations ever.

Reaction Score
while we're out there, I'd like to play Gonzaga and then get them at home the following year

Reaction Score
I don't mind that we're getting this one out of the way. Opens the door for adding a new home-and-home to the 2014-2015 schedule instead of keeping a slot open for Washington.

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone can argue that being nationally televised isn't a good thing. Especially at a time when exposure should be paramount as we're essentially in a mid-major conference and need to stay in the national conscious. More TV exposure keeps us relevant and unquestionably helps recruiting (D. Hamilton said he knew he liked UConn after watching UConn-Michigan State earlier this year).

Having the UConn brand more visible nationally is unquestionably a good thing, and to argue that it's "no big deal" is asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom