We're playing Washington on the road next year? | The Boneyard

We're playing Washington on the road next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm on my phone so I can't copy/paste, but Borges just tweeted that it looks like UConn will be traveling to Washington next season, despite the fact that we may faceoff in MSG.

Reaction Score
Yup. I just saw that tweet as well. You know what ill take it. If we get them twice im sure it will only help our RPI. You can never underestimate road games vs quality opponents. Somebody has to post the video of the 1998 sweet 16 for good luck...Hamilton...

Reaction Score
This OOC schedule is stacked. Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Harvard, Washington, Stanford, Washington.

Couple that with 2x Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati.

That should be at least 11 games against top 25 teams.

And another thing. CBS is going to show 12 games on network TV, only half of them are going to be AAC games.

Seems to me that Florida, Washington and Stanford are going to be prime targets for that Saturday afternoon network slot. The Indy, Harvard and Maryland games may already be spoken for since they are part of the early season tourney/one-off schedule.

After that, CBS will have interest in showing UConn-Louisville, UConn-Memphis and UConn-Cincy.

Seems to me that UConn may grab as many as 4 of the 12 CBS national network spots.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This OOC schedule is stacked. Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Harvard, Washington, Stanford, Washington.

Chances are really good we play BCU at MSG, then only one of Indiana/Washington. So I really doubt we play Washington twice plus Indiana.

Reaction Score
Chances are really good we play BCU at MSG, then only one of Indiana/Washington. So I really doubt we play Washington twice plus Indiana.

Ugh, BCU. We have enough cupcakes on the schedule.

Reaction Score
I think this has happened before...feel like it was an in-state game though. Details are fuzzy.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
December should be a fun month. Except for finals week of course.

Reaction Score
In 2011-12 we almost played Harvard twice. If we had beaten UCF in Atlantis, we would have faced Harvard in the finals (after they upset Florida State). As is turns out, we still got to play Florida State in the consolation game.

Note on that UCF game: at the time most of the board, and even Andy Katz ("UConn will be fine. The Huskies will still challenge for the Big East title and a spot in the Final Four.") shrugged it off. But looking back we can easily see how it portended dysfunction and a weakness of leadership.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In 2011-12 we almost played Harvard twice. If we had beaten UCF in Atlantis, we would have faced Harvard in the finals (after they upset Florida State). As is turns out, we still got to play Florida State in the consolation game.

Note on that UCF game: at the time most of the board, and even Andy Katz ("UConn will be fine. The Huskies will still challenge for the Big East title and a spot in the Final Four.") shrugged it off. But looking back we can easily see how it portended dysfunction and a weakness of leadership.

I think we just had players set on the NBA Draft and not the college season. Water over the dam now.

Reaction Score
UConn played Gardner Webb 2x in the 07-08 season after they upset UK in the 2K classic, they're the reason the rule has changed to where a host team advances even if they lose in an early round.

Reaction Score

And another thing. CBS is going to show 12 games on network TV, only half of them are going to be AAC games.

Seems to me that Florida, Washington and Stanford are going to be prime targets for that Saturday afternoon network slot. The Indy, Harvard and Maryland games may already be spoken for since they are part of the early season tourney/one-off schedule.

After that, CBS will have interest in showing UConn-Louisville, UConn-Memphis and UConn-Cincy.

Seems to me that UConn may grab as many as 4 of the 12 CBS national network spots.

The article originally posted that said the UConn-UF game would happen said it was an ESPN, made for tv job. ESPN had felt there was a real lack of quality games between Feast Week and the start of conference play. They would have the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the Jimmy V doubleheader, but aside from that, there were a whole lot of nothing. They really felt this during the NBA lockout a few years ago when there just wasn't enough quality scheduling to go around. Since then, they have worked hard to fill their week night college hoops slots in December with quality games. UConn vs Florida appears to be one of them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if they are fairly decent next year.

Boston College did show a pulse later in the year. Still hard to think they could even get to the bubble but at least they should compete most of the season.

Reaction Score

It seems a bit overly optimistic to me to think UConn would grab 4 of the 6 spots CBS is devoting to the AAC. Louisville-Kentucky will certainly be one, Louisville-Memphis will definitely be another, and then you have to consider rivalries like Cincy-Xavier, other appealing OOC games like Louisville-North Carolina, etc. You would think Louisville-UConn would get at least one spot, along with UConn-Memphis and/or UConn-Cincy. But it's tough to see us getting to four even with us being one of the two brand names in the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wish someone could explain to me why being on CBS is a big deal. Wow regional coverage. Exciting.

Reaction Score
It seems a bit overly optimistic to me to think UConn would grab 4 of the 6 spots CBS is devoting to the AAC. Louisville-Kentucky will certainly be one, Louisville-Memphis will definitely be another, and then you have to consider rivalries like Cincy-Xavier, other appealing OOC games like Louisville-North Carolina, etc. You would think Louisville-UConn would get at least one spot, along with UConn-Memphis and/or UConn-Cincy. But it's tough to see us getting to four even with us being one of the two brand names in the AAC.

12 spots, not 6. 6 AAC and 6 OOC.

Reaction Score
I wish someone could explain to me why being on CBS is a big deal. Wow regional coverage. Exciting.

Washington v. UConn or Stanford would mean West Coast and East Coast coverage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Washington v. UConn or Stanford would mean West Coast and East Coast coverage.

It still matters what the other game is. If it's Kentucky and Indiana or something it's still marginalized. It's not like they get huge ratings especially during the non-conference games. Butler-Indiana got outrated by the New Mexico Bowl.

Reaction Score
It still matters what the other game is. If it's Kentucky and Indiana or something it's still marginalized. It's not like they get huge ratings especially during the non-conference games. Butler-Indiana got outrated by the New Mexico Bowl.

What exactly are we arguing here? That being on CBS network on two coasts during a winter Saturday afternoon is no big deal? Every team wants that spot. There is no better spot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What exactly are we arguing here? That being on CBS network on two coasts during a winter Saturday afternoon is no big deal? Every team wants that spot. There is no better spot.

Exactly what I'm saying. Regional
coverage on CBS is not that big of a deal.

The contact pretty much proves that, but if you'd like to obsess over 2 versus 3 games that hardly anyone watches knock yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom