We're Now Getting Ripped by a Tulsa Columnist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're Now Getting Ripped by a Tulsa Columnist

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Would some of you guys unbunch your panties.
The sum of that excerpt is "UConn is an embarrassment right now and hopefully they get back to prominence for the betterment of basketball"
He's right and it's not disrespectful.
Exactly, isn’t this the type of perception we want out there? For writers/fans throughout the country to EXPECT us to field a good team?

The minute we stop seeing articles like this, it will mean one of two things— either we will have become good again, or we will have become permanently irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Tulsa win CUSA and get a couple of tourney bids right before they joined? I don’t think they’re in much of a position to complain about others not carrying their weight.

They made an E8 run in the late 90’s early 00’s if I remember correctly. But that was a LONG time ago.

Reaction Score
They made an E8 run in the late 90’s early 00’s if I remember correctly. But that was a LONG time ago.

2000. Probably the ugliest, least appealing March Madness, at least in my lifetime (started watching in 1993). NBA was also quite brutal to watch around this time (early 2000s).

Any way, Tulsa made the E8 as a 7 seed and were just 4 points away from making the final four! Lost 59-55 in an ugly one to...ugh....8 seed UNC. Now that I mention it, I recall pulling hard for Tulsa that year (after Uconn went out to Tenn) to beat 2 seed Cincy in the second round and UNC in the E8. That 32-5 season basically thrust Bill Self into the up and coming coaches spot light.

Last time they won a tourney game was 2003 and they lost by a point to Wisconsin in an ugly game in the next round.

They also won the NIT in 2001.

Really have not done much since 2003 though.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Well, I sure hope Uconn can beat a team that offers nothing then, because being swept by a team like that would mean Uconn, CURRENTLY, offers even less...yikes.
Tonights game or any game has nothing to do with the money and what a school has brought to the program
This digs a little deeper than wins and losses - FYI

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
2000. Probably the ugliest, least appealing March Madness, at least in my lifetime (started watching in 1993). NBA was also quite brutal to watch around this time (early 2000s).

Any way, Tulsa made the E8 as a 7 seed and were just 4 points away from making the final four! Lost 59-55 in an ugly one to...ugh....8 seed UNC. Now that I mention it, I recall pulling hard for Tulsa that year (after Uconn went out to Tenn) to beat 2 seed Cincy in the second round and UNC in the E8. That 32-5 season basically thrust Bill Self into the up and coming coaches spot light.

Last time they won a tourney game was 2003 and they lost by a point to Wisconsin in an ugly game in the next round.

They also won the NIT in 2001.

Really have not done much since 2003 though.
@Travelman32 , you are the Tulsa hoops archivist! Although I can go farther back to the early 80's when I was attending a different Missouri Valley school. Tulsa won the NIT under Nolan Richardson and guard named Phil Pressey and had another good guard a few years later named Steve Harris. The MVC was tough back then.

Reaction Score

Tulsa, coached then by Bill Self, made tournament appearances in 1999 and 2000.

I live in Tulsa. Don't get worked up by a Tulsa World (known locally as the Tulsa Whirled) columnist whose primary beat is Oklahoma State football. He probably had an assignment to write something about TU basketball and saw this as a convenient backdoor excuse to direct zingers at Texas, the Sooner state equivalent of UConn/Duke and UConn/Cuse. Beyond that, his point seems to be that UConn used to be good, now they suck, but unlike Tulsa, who also sucks, UConn has/had a more prestigious pedigree in basketball. Hard to argue that one.

Reaction Score
What is the big deal about the AAU? I don't get it. It seems like it is basically just a membership based on federal research dollars and that is the basis for the schools "prestige" according to the AAU. Like an academic country club or something. Yay? Aren't there BETTER ways to measure how elite a school is? Maybe I am missing something, but aren't there other more important academic things Uconn can pursue that add more value to the UNI?

Also, what actual benefits does a membership provide other than the aforementioned perceived prestige that seems to come with it that might be able to be found any way via other avenues?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tulsa, coached then by Bill Self, made tournament appearances in 1999 and 2000.

I live in Tulsa. Don't get worked up by a Tulsa World (known locally as the Tulsa Whirled) columnist whose primary beat is Oklahoma State football. He probably had an assignment to write something about TU basketball and saw this as a convenient backdoor excuse to direct zingers at Texas, the Sooner state equivalent of UConn/Duke and UConn/Cuse. Beyond that, his point seems to be that UConn used to be good, now they suck, but unlike Tulsa, who also sucks, UConn has/had a more prestigious pedigree in basketball. Hard to argue that one.

Yup - I was in Tulsa three times a week from 97-2001 - they all kind of run together for me honestly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Would some of you guys unbunch your panties.
The sum of that excerpt is "UConn is an embarrassment right now and hopefully they get back to prominence for the betterment of basketball"
He's right and it's not disrespectful.
It's Tulsa. Of course it's disrespectful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom