We're not supposed to win tomorrow | The Boneyard

We're not supposed to win tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke is a freight train. They're scoring 88 points per game and winning by an average margin of 26.9 points per game. They went into Madison two weeks ago and beat the #3 team in the country by double digits. Jahil Okafor, the #1 player in the class of 2014, is unstoppable. He's averaging 18 points per game on 66% shooting.

There have been whispers that Duke might have the goods to run the table this year. They're on a collision course with college basketballs other behemoth, Kentucky, in what many are projecting to be one of the most anticipated match-ups ever, should it happen.

Meanwhile, UConn - having lost four starters from a season to go - is supposed to be in a transition year. They should be happy to just make the tournament, and thank Duke for a valuable learning experience. Amida Brimah will tell his grandchildren one day that he played Jahil Okafor.

Look - I'm not blind to reality. Duke is better than us. They're probably going to win. Let's just remember, though, that this program we root for has done a lot of things they weren't supposed to. They weren't supposed to win the Duke Invitational in 1999. They weren't supposed to overcome an eight point deficit in the 2004 semi-final with under three minutes to play. They weren't supposed to win the title as a seven seed last year. Duke may have plenty that we don't - including a head coach with a billion wins - but one thing they don't have is a player who has one a national championship.

Incidentally, one other thing UConn's not supposed to do is take over the building tomorrow night. This game is being played in the Meadowlands - not the Barclays Center, not Madison Square Garden, two vastly superior buildings - for a reason: to appease to Duke's alumni base. They're 19-1 all-time there. Duke dictates the terms, because despite our recent success, they're still the more powerful program, with far more national sway.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to go to the game tomorrow. I'm just here to remind you there are more reasons to go. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Duke hasn't been punched in the mouth yet this year. Let's hit them early tomorrow and hang tight. They are still a young team for the most part. So are we. The pressure is squarely on them tomorrow night. Keep it close and hope Amida doesn't get in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Duke is a freight train. They're scoring 88 points per game and winning by an average margin of 26.9 points per game. They went into Madison two weeks ago and beat the #3 team in the country by double digits. Jahil Okafor, the #1 player in the class of 2014, is unstoppable. He's averaging 18 points per game on 66% shooting.

There have been whispers that Duke might have the goods to run the table this year. They're on a collision course with college basketballs other behemoth, Kentucky, in what many are projecting to be one of the most anticipated match-ups ever, should it happen.

Meanwhile, UConn - having lost four starters from a season to go - is supposed to be in a transition year. They should be happy to just make the tournament, and thank Duke for a valuable learning experience. Amida Brimah will tell his grandchildren one day that he played Jahil Okafor.

Look - I'm not blind to reality. Duke is better than us. They're probably going to win. Let's just remember, though, that this program we root for has done a lot of things they weren't supposed to. They weren't supposed to win the Duke Invitational in 1999. They weren't supposed to overcome an eight point deficit in the 2004 semi-final with under three minutes to play. They weren't supposed to win the title as a seven seed last year. Duke may have plenty that we don't - including a head coach with a billion wins - but one thing they don't have is a player who has one a national championship.

Incidentally, one other thing UConn's not supposed to do is take over the building tomorrow night. This game is being played in the Meadowlands - not the Barclays Center, not Madison Square Garden, two vastly superior buildings - for a reason: to appease to Duke's alumni base. They're 19-1 all-time there. Duke dictates the terms, because despite our recent success, they're still the more powerful program, with far more national sway.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to go to the game tomorrow. I'm just here to remind you there are more reasons to go. Go Huskies.

We don't have a chance! WeAreUCONN told us all so...it must be true.

Okay, joking aside that WeAreUCONN is either a troll or is actually one of the most miserable human beings on earth. He is a debbie downer in every post and spews nothing but mopey negative . I'd rather let my girlfriend go out for drinks with Bill Cosby than read his posts.

I will be at the game tomorrow. I'm not going to be delusional and guarantee a win. But I agree with the OP that this program has done remarkable things in the past that nobody (excluding some of us) thought were possible. Im expecting a fight. I hope it's close. If we win its just another chapter for this program and WeAreUconn can eat crow laced with rat poison.

Reaction Score
On paper its a huge mismatch.
Fortunately for us this isn't fantasy BB.
Its played on a hardwood floor with a real ball.
Make our FT,rebound,and don't turn the ball over, and we will see if this Duke team is legit.

Reaction Score
We don't tend to hit teams in the mouth early. We're slow starters. I expect the same tomorrow. But we hang around. We don't give up. And come the end of the game we're right there. That is the formula. We haven't been the finishers we need to be, yet. But this is opportunity knocking.

Reaction Score
How are we expected to win? We have a championship coach who can't recruit. We have a wooden award candidate who can't lead to a ship like the last one. We have a five star frosh who can't pass. We have a seven footer who has no offense. We have a ferrarri who can't hit 5th or 6th gear. We have a NY poy who wasn't a McD's AA. We have an NBA star's son who's too slow. We have a team that can't shoot or play defense. All in all we're a program that can't handle adversity or overcome hurdles and always underachieves. Doomed for shore.

Reaction Score
wasn't last years kentucky team supposed to be more talented than uconn's? they will get their points, we just have to hope our bigs play smart ball.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
If we were healthy all season we'd enter this game undefeated and win easy.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I'm fired up for tomorrow!
Let's rock the izod!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if hype won national championships, Dook would have 25 rings, although they'd be sharing some of those with UK

just think about this, the two most over hyped programs in the country hate us to the core

we tend to pop those hot air balloons, the Zeppelin is going to burst into flames, another national (read ESPN) tragedy is on the horizon

and then their low information assistant coaches can tell the world they would beat us 9 out of 10 times, it's tradition

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Didn't something pretty good happen to us in the Meadowlands in 1990?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In hindsight, that was a dumb post on my part. The bad half involved Duke. Revenge maybe?

it's the thought that counts my friend :)

as for revenge, I don't want that either. 1999 and 2004?

youse drunk?

Reaction Score
If you want to look for some advantages, purvis playing well is key because he is starting and has a mismatch with whoever is guarding him. Quinn cooke + jones are like 3-4 inches shorter, plus rodney can elevate over them. If he is healthy, this is the sorta of game he needs to show out in. It goes two ways though. Purvis can't be ball watching he needs to stay attached to either member of the duke backcourt... they are lights out.

Reaction Score
If you want to look for some advantages, purvis playing well is key because he is starting and has a mismatch with whoever is guarding him. Quinn cooke + jones are like 3-4 inches shorter, plus rodney can elevate over them. If he is healthy, this is the sorta of game he needs to show out in. It goes two ways though. Purvis can't be ball watching he needs to stay attached to either member of the duke backcourt... they are lights out.

I'm worried about Purvis defensively in this game. On the other hand, Tyus Jones can't guard, so if they try to shield him from Boatright, Purvis has to be ready.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
nLQqKHI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads