We're Doomed! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're Doomed!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Why are kids signing up for that train wreck?
Speed? Thrills? Revenge on the Warden? Academy award nominations?
upload_2017-2-6_16-28-9.png

Reaction Score
Just how stupid can they be to think that! I know, it is hardly a surprise in our everyone gets a trophy world of "raising" kids, plus the muck that hangs around in AAU ball, but if these kids were students of the game they'd know that even among the so called elite college programs there are vast player development difference. Now, Tenn, whole different story. Disaster junkies running to an opportunity.
Most kids that age are not students of the game. They want to play, they don't want to sit and watch others play, even if they could learn so much from it. I will use my kids as an example. They didn't actually sit down to watch a game (in any sport) until they weren't playing anymore.

Reaction Score
I wish Uconn could get recruits that Holly gets that makes her team better as they walk in the door---or is it Tn is that bad?? look at Gabby--almost 3 years to be a difference maker.
KLS or Napheesa --unlike those coming into TN--took a whole year and are still learning. Chong 3 years plus--and still developing.
Danger has potential and saw it once, maybe twice--but --how does Geno miss all those good walk in the door ready ones??
Well, Broadway, it's harder to break into the starting lineup when the kids in front of you are wining NC's. For example, Walker would be an immediate starter next year for almost any wcbb team. But at UConn she will have to fight hard for a starting role.

Reaction Score
Well, Broadway, it's harder to break into the starting lineup when the kids in front of you are wining NC's. For example, Walker would be an immediate starter next year for almost any wcbb team. But at UConn she will have to fight hard for a starting role.

The whole statement was facetious----and in response to another poster. Go back and see what was posted and responded to. Here it is --this is what the other poster said to which I responded: With the talent that Holly has coming in next year its obvious the team will be better. With or without Deshields.
The implication was Recruits coming in could play with Deshields --should she opt to stay.. I.E. Starting right away without fighting for PT

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
"Kids these days!" flashback: As a high school, Barb Turner talked about jumping to the WNBA.

Reaction Score

Your opinion of Thompsons .1 percent of ALL male players (freshman to Senior) from every Div 1 College is more than likely accurate. Mr /Coach Thompson was deeply involved with kids, players, college players, pro players--his number may be suspect--but it may be by the order of magnitude i.e 1 percent rather than .ol. In all the time I listen to Coach Thompson on the radio--i cannot remember one "lie" or mis-truth-or just plain mixing up number--the later is probably more possible. \
All you have to do is look at Uconn to see which easily accept "coaching' , the transfers, the one's geno does not accept---he looks for talent that is coachable.

Your opinion--as mine--are all acceptable here. Does not mean either of us are 100 percent correct.
Just for WCBB, there are 345 D1 programs, so approximately 5000 D1 players. With ~20 seniors making WNBA rosters every year (actually a generous estimate, since many of those do not last by the second year) X 4 since the 5000 players represent 4 eligibility classes = 80 of 5000 will make it for at least part of one season. That's 1.6% of D1 players. The % of H.S. players who make it would be MUCH lower.

Reaction Score
The whole statement was facetious----and in response to another poster. Go back and see what was posted and responded to. Here it is --this is what the other poster said to which I responded: With the talent that Holly has coming in next year its obvious the team will be better. With or without Deshields.
The implication was Recruits coming in could play with Deshields --should she opt to stay.. I.E. Starting right away without fighting for PT
Ok, I went for your head fake, and you ran right by me.:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am finding this thread highly presumptuous on what "we think" how "high school" players think. Having two sons now playing Div 1 sports and knowing the teams at 2 different schools and the other sports programs as well, I call complete "rubbish" on those making these assumptions. HS basketball for both Boys and Girls is usually bifurcated immediately into good programs and significantly ave to below ave. The AAU circuit as well as camps give a good indication to players and their families. While delusion in many D1 Men players may exist, I disagree with Thompson's numerical value being that high. Among girls, let's be frank that very few of the pros make any real money in this sport and would be better served with real degrees and professions that academia provides. Geno made the comment that he looks for girls who want to get better, WANT TO BE COACHED and are motivated. The middle part is key and is demonstrable by past or current habits, not just because they say "they will be". Yes, there are some key athletic types we hear are difficult and maybe their attitude holds them back and we tend to "group" too many players into that camp. Do I think the Tenn players practice hard under Holly- YES, do they practice SMART at skills they need to be better, evidently not. Claiming anyone has an attitude problem with being intimately involved is reckless and rumor mongering. We are better than that.
Your experiences, UCONN WBB, and Girls HS basketball are exactly the wrong prisms to determine that we are being presumptuous or to disagree with John numerical value. For starters you seem to be a very responsible parent, UCONN is an exceptional place because of Geno, & John was talking about MCBB. Kids without responsible parents have no one to tell them about the benefits of getting an education and thus the "delusion" you speak of becomes their only frame of reference=their reality. Geno did make the comment that he looks for girls who want to be coached, he also made the comment about how it is getting harder to find those types of players. What makes UCONN exceptional is that Geno will not compromise that standard and he continues to find those type of players. The significant difference between WCBB and MCBB is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or the NBA contract. You are correct in that very few get to collect on the pot of gold. The infinitesimal odds of cashing in also become part of the delusion because these men feel like they know someone who has cashed in by name who didn't even have to go to college to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Ok, I went for your head fake, and you ran right by me.:)
Naaa---it was a terrible attempt at being funny---I never got anywhere with the head fake---I'd say look over in the center of the 2nd row--get a look at that--took longer but more fell for that then my head fake. Dad told me they are no good if you have to explain them..

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I told Geno this past summer, on the golf course, that Walker was a risk--he should be seeing what Tenn wanted
Then follow their lead--and then offer those recruits more. I'm sure Sue and DT and now Stewie would gladly drive them around ESPN or the Atlanta Airport. --The last time I looked back --he was just shaking his head---Flies I assumed!!
images

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Agreed on the playing time. I also think from a recruits mind, that they think "we are going to be the class that ends all the losing and bring back the championships" or "why not us?" "We can start our own legacy".

Tennessee is going to get it share of top talent just because of the name. A lot of these ladies grew up as little girls watching Tennessee. They have playing time and possibly those thoughts above to choose that school. Just my two cents.
thats getting old... these girls have been watching from Maya Moore 2008 and since... almost 10years, since they were 6,7,8yrs old.

They dont know anyone from Tenn except WNBA Candice Parker... but watching the W they may think Maya is more popular and which school she went to?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom