we're a 3 point shooting team | The Boneyard

we're a 3 point shooting team

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and like 3 point shooting teams are prone to do, you win when they're falling and you lose when they don't

Positives from Memphis game
1) a win against a hungry more physical conference rival
2) Gibbs, if he finds his confidence and comfort zone, more three's will start falling
3) Purvis, looking tough and scoring
4) Free throws, 78.8%, the difference between winning and losing close games
5) Nolan and Facey played well, both were productive
6) Dham's rebounding
7) defensive FG % 37.3

The bad:
1) offensive sets, can't get an open 2 point shot
2) rebounding
3) 9 assists
4) Dham's offense (WTF?)

a win is a win, but truthfully I'd prefer we play a great game and lose, I want to see them jell

like everybody else, I want to run better sets on offense and to grab a lot more rebounds

they have the pieces, they can jell on the offensive side of the ball, but I'm a lot less confident about rebounding

Reaction Score
Op you forgot continually feeding the post with SM. very important to develop that for inside outside offense. I haven't seen that consistency of doing it in any of her other games. Loved it as SM deserves to get many touches down there.

willie99

Reaction Score
I want them to feed Miller too, but I would love to see them get him an open 7 footer once in a while, that's what lacking right now

pass pass pass baby jumper

willie99

Reaction Score
I saw someone mention Hamilton needs Brimah, never thought it would be that simple, but he may be right

Hamilton was the one guy that was getting some open looks in the paint

Reaction Score
I want them to feed Miller too, but I would love to see them get him an open 7 footer once in a while, that's what lacking right now

We'll they did get him an open 10 footer early in the game. I'm just loving the post presence as we normally just pass along the perimeter until the shot clock runs down.and go one one one.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

They do and he pump fakes out of it. Also if he's going to be in the pick and pop role he needs to shoot when he's open or let hamilton screen and pop. We need miller on the block because there is no one else

Reaction Score
I think these kids can shoot from all over. Last two games, though, they have been rushing shots. Maybe the new urgency is also making them rush. It's not only Hamilton but also Miller. Purvis is the opposite. A little too hesitant still.

Reaction Score
Before the season people were concerned with our three pt shooting. Purvis is nearly automatic. Gibbs is very good. Hamilton is streaky but can be deadly. Omar and Miller should each get a couple looks a game. Adams doesn't look for it but was very good in HS from 3.

Reaction Score
As limited as they are offensively I genuinely think this team's biggest problems are on the defensive end. I can't remember a UConn team that has struggled this hard to get stops. I understand that the rule changes have made it harder on defenses but yesterday in crunch time(last 7 minutes of game) Memphis scored on 11 out of 13 trips. That is just abysmal.

Reaction Score
TitleTown said:
As limited as they are offensively I genuinely think this team's biggest problems are on the defensive end. I can't remember a UConn team that has struggled this hard to get stops. I understand that the rule changes have made it harder on defenses but yesterday in crunch time(last 7 minutes of game) Memphis scored on 11 out of 13 trips. That is just abysmal.

2006. George Mason scored on 100 possessions in a row.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Before the season people were concerned with our three pt shooting. Purvis is nearly automatic. Gibbs is very good. Hamilton is streaky but can be deadly. Omar and Miller should each get a couple looks a game. Adams doesn't look for it but was very good in HS from 3.

I got the feeling last night that Miller has been told not to shoot 3s. The only time I remember him taking one was very reluctantly at the end of the shot clock.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I think most of those 7 trips involved Shaq scoring against Miller while we played small Facey, Nolan & Enoch on the bench. It drove me crazy. Outside of that Coach's decision, I thought the defense was better last night.
But I totally agree that defense has been our biggest problem. I just thought, outside of that run, we improved. I can't fault Miller for not handling Shaq. I'm a big KO fan but I don't know why he didn't adjust when Shaq was scoring at will.

Reaction Score
I got the feeling last night that Miller has been told not to shoot 3s. The only time I remember him taking one was very reluctantly at the end of the shot clock.
3-7 on the year. I'd like to see him shoot when open.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't disagree. I just got the impression the coach does. Not a great 3 point % in the past and we have a lot of them. Just assuming based on how reluctant he seemed last night.

Reaction Score
Adams is 4-21 from 3.

If UConn need to be more reliant on the 3 where can he possibly play for extended minutes assuming you can't play Miller @ the 5?

Reaction Score
I've noticed that Miller has often been hesitant to shoot the ball when wide open either beyond the arc or sometimes even inside the arc. I am always an advocate of the extra pass, but when open looks are stingy, Miller needs to take those shots more often.

Reaction Score
The Team scored 81 points. I don't think offense is our biggest issue.
We just lost a game where we held our opponents under 60 points. KenPom has us as a top 30 defensive team in the country. We give up some easy buckets and have issues with untimely fouls, but overall were not bad defensively. The offense is an issue.

If Gibbs can stay hot it would solve a lot of problems, though. He's up to 39% 3P shooting on what's been a down year for him. Last night could be huge for him and the team as a whole.

Reaction Score

I completely agree. As bad as our offensive sets are we still scoring 80 points a game. This is some of the worst defense I've seen out of a UConn team. Every single time we make a big offensive play and have a chance to open up a game we fall apart on defense with idiotic fouls or overall poor defense. Ollie refers to kills as 3 consecutive stops. I'll be happy with one or two stops when we need them. We were pretty good defensively last year, so there's no reason we can't be as good or better now.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say we're 3 point shooting team, but the way we're struggling in other offensive categories, knocking down a solid percentage of three point shots seems critical.

With little post offense and their struggles lately to knock down shots in the paint, the 3 ball has kept us in games.

IMO, for this team to be successful, they need to execute their half court more quickly and effectively, and finish better inside the arc. Knocking down 3s helps open things up.

Their half court was horrible against Temple but showed improvement yesterday. Adams and Purvis played with more energy. Gibbs played a tad quicker, though shot it like we expected. Hamilton was a hot mess and can't seem to finish lately, has killed our half court lately. I think DHam feels he needs to force issues when our offense is stagnant, but he's playing out of control and for whatever reason cannot make any shots in the paint. If he can play a little more under control, and begin to finish those shots in the paint, this team will be a lot more dangerous.

I give KO a little credit for finally getting the team to play with a lot more quickness and energy in the half court offense, but now they need to improve their efficiency.

C

Chief00

I saw someone mention Hamilton needs Brimah, never thought it would be that simple, but he may be right

Hamilton was the one guy that was getting some open looks in the paint
That was me.

C

Chief00

Don't worry, you can take credit for Hamilton's poor play being attributable to his Christmas flight being delayed. That one's all you.

Your general displeasure with life makes you blind - In this context I was referring quite frankly to Hamilton not having the Brimah lob option when he gets into the lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom