WER ACC Pre-Season Poll | The Boneyard

WER ACC Pre-Season Poll

Reaction Score
And here we go with this ever so reliable source for insight. At first glance, I believe this will prompt an interesting discussion. @triadduke, small spoiler alert......no hands will need to be thrown. ;)

Reaction Score
The article also excludes ND from conference membership :D
Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

What can I say? I see a few head scratchers in this "committee's" list. Add in the ND error you noticed.....I'm stumped.

It does serve as good fodder to pick at as we wait for the season to start.

Reaction Score
Duke has 1 player in the top 16 but is picked 3rd?

Syracuse turned over its whole roster and head coach but will still be better than SIX schools. Just how bad are those teams?
That's the point. I'm not sure where the logic is. My initial thoughts:

DUKE - Not clear how a team that didn't finish the season and has a lot of turnover through transfers jump from a DNF to #3. Day-Wilson as FOY, I'm 50/50 on. I've seen Olivia Miles make her look average when they faced each other during their prep school days. I'd don't know if I've had them lower than 10 but not where they are.

UNC - They have a good freshmen class coming in, but still a lot of unknowns. Maybe 6/7 for me.

Syracuse - Absolutely no clue how they're 9th with the situation they have. A lot of transfers in, some last minute defections and a new (technically) coach.

ND - I think they'll be much improved, especially with Miles and Citron getting to play together again. Westbeld should get better, which is a scary thought. Hopefully Brunelle is healthy to help spread the offence out. Not sure about their ranking here either.

Reaction Score
Are players that came a semester early going to be considered Sophomores or Freshman. Miles played 6 games, I would say her and Citron have good chances of FOY.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And here we go with this ever so reliable source for insight. At first glance, I believe this will prompt an interesting discussion. @triadduke, small spoiler alert......no hands will need to be thrown. ;)

giphy.gif

Good, I can conserve my energy for the gym.

Reaction Score
Duke has 1 player in the top 16 but is picked 3rd?

Syracuse turned over its whole roster and head coach but will still be better than SIX schools. Just how bad are those teams?
My thoughts exactly. How does one put them in the middle of the pack after all that has happened to that program.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm actually glad this was posted... I was feeling a bit lethargic.. now Im energized. I'm gonna attack those weights like Day-Wilson is gonna attack opposing defences. :cool:

Myself... I think #3 is too high for Duke. I would probably put them #4. Ga Tech is way too low.

Reaction Score
I agree WER about Syracuse. On paper in spite of their personnel losses, they are still better than those that they are ranked ahead of. I don't think some of these posters here don’t know how bad some of those teams are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree WER about Syracuse. On paper in spite of their personnel losses, they are still better than those that they are ranked ahead of. I don't think some of these posters here don’t know how bad some of those teams are.
Syracuse ahead of Wake Forest? That one is debatable. On paper, I would have them ahead of Syracuse.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What I find interesting is the media and many here on the BY have already “anointed” Kara as a “great coach” who will do wonderful things and have much success at Duke despite the fact she was never an assistant coach in a program, has not made any real top recruits sign on to her program, quit in her only season as a HC, worked for one year as an NBA assistant but her most notable coaching was the coach of 3x3 USA Basketball set of squads.

Now, compare this to Niele Ivy who was an assistant at ND for many years, also went to the NBA for 1 year, took over a highly talented yet somewhat dysfunctional ND squad, has top recruits still arriving and on the roster, worked hard last year when she could have quit and persevered.

To me, ND is significantly more talented and had earned their battle scars together vs. anything that Duke could muster. Why or how Duke is 3rd in ANYONE’s mind is beyond my basketball comprehension. While we all like the heck out of Triad and Cameron, this Duke squad to finish in the top 8 would be a significant accomplishment.

NC St, Louisville, GaTech, ND, FSU, UNC all have better squads, talent and coaching experience over Duke.

I respected Kara as a player, really liked her as a commentator and thought the 3x3 teams did well under without knowing what coaching went on for those squads, I have no idea how she will handle running a complete program to get players, develop them, win games in a tough conference and have success in Conference and the NCAA Tournament. No one can predict that.

I will say I do want to see her succeed but no way can I say or agree with so much of the foregone certainty that she will be great.

Now back to the regularly scheduled dialogue….

Reaction Score
What I find interesting is the media and many here on the BY have already “anointed” Kara as a “great coach” who will do wonderful things and have much success at Duke despite the fact she was never an assistant coach in a program, has not made any real top recruits sign on to her program, quit in her only season as a HC, worked for one year as an NBA assistant but her most notable coaching was the coach of 3x3 USA Basketball set of squads.

Now, compare this to Niele Ivy who was an assistant at ND for many years, also went to the NBA for 1 year, took over a highly talented yet somewhat dysfunctional ND squad, has top recruits still arriving and on the roster, worked hard last year when she could have quit and persevered.

To me, ND is significantly more talented and had earned their battle scars together vs. anything that Duke could muster. Why or how Duke is 3rd in ANYONE’s mind is beyond my basketball comprehension. While we all like the heck out of Triad and Cameron, this Duke squad to finish in the top 8 would be a significant accomplishment.

NC St, Louisville, GaTech, ND, FSU, UNC all have better squads, talent and coaching experience over Duke.

I respected Kara as a player, really liked her as a commentator and thought the 3x3 teams did well under without knowing what coaching went on for those squads, I have no idea how she will handle running a complete program to get players, develop them, win games in a tough conference and have success in Conference and the NCAA Tournament. No one can predict that.

I will say I do want to see her succeed but no way can I say or agree with so much of the foregone certainty that she will be great.

Now back to the regularly scheduled dialogue….

What is your definition of a top recruit? Is it an ESPN rank of 15 or higher? If so, I get your point.

Their 2022 class does have a couple top 35 ESPN ranked players in Bollin and Jackson. They also picked up Day-Wilson thanks to the Syracuse fall out and she's listed on the ESPN's list for 2021.

I agree it's too soon to say what will happen at Duke. She seems to be drawing the attention of the highly regarded prospects though. Only time will tell.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND - I think they'll be much improved, especially with Miles and Citron getting to play together again. Westbeld should get better, which is a scary thought. Hopefully Brunelle is healthy to help spread the offence out. Not sure about their ranking here either.

Have noted -- and agreed -- with a lot of the comments on teams, coaches and teams. I'll add two.

- Maddy Westbeld on second team ACC? :confused:

This is what she was named after the 2020-21 season:
  • 2021 WBCA All-America Regional Finalist
  • 2021 ACC Rookie of the Year (Head Coaches)
  • 2021 First Team All-ACC
  • 2021 ACC All-Freshman Team
  • 2021 ACC All-Academic Team
And she's going to regress? Don't think so. Like @cancontent, I think she'll only get better, particularly with Sonia Citron playing wing next to her.

- And, yes, I expect Miles and Citron to do well playing with each other again (not to mention with Westbeld).
Given that Citron was named to the all u-19 World Cup team, I think there's a good chance she'll distinguish herself with her brand of all-round hoops. The Miles/Day-Wilson match-up should be a fun one to watch.

Reaction Score
Have noted -- and agreed -- with a lot of the comments on teams, coaches and teams. I'll add two.

- Maddy Westbeld on second team ACC? :confused:

This is what she was named after the 2020-21 season:
  • 2021 WBCA All-America Regional Finalist
  • 2021 ACC Rookie of the Year (Head Coaches)
  • 2021 First Team All-ACC
  • 2021 ACC All-Freshman Team
  • 2021 ACC All-Academic Team
And she's going to regress? Don't think so. Like @cancontent, I think she'll only get better, particularly with Sonia Citron playing wing next to her.

- And, yes, I expect Miles and Citron to do well playing with each other again (not to mention with Westbeld).
Given that Citron was named to the all u-19 World Cup team, I think there's a good chance she'll distinguish herself with her brand of all-round hoops. The Miles/Day-Wilson match-up should be a fun one to watch.
The Blair Academy vs Crestwood in NC 3 years ago was a doozy. If I had access to it from BallerTV, I'd download it to watch again.

It was interesting to see Day-Wilson be challenged by Miles and Darius during that game. Don't think she expected to face someone with just as good (or possibly better) guard skills.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I'll accept State, Louisville, GaTech, ND..... and I can see FSU and or VPI above Duke in the standings.. but that other school you named.....

oh h no.jpg

I am an unbiased observer here, but aint no way that school that wears that putrid shade of light blue finishes ahead of Duke. Lemme go outside and calm down a bit.

Reaction Score
I am liking this preseason ranking. After NC State, it is going to be interesting, especially if those teams behind NC State step up. I am really interested to see how Florida State bounces back with Coach Semrau returning. ND should have a better year. Otherwise folks in South Bend are going to lose their minds. SMH. Duke is going to be the surprise team. If they can put it all together. Their preseason ranking is going to make sense. Love these rankings. Always a debate.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'll accept State, Louisville, GaTech, ND..... and I can see FSU and or VPI above Duke in the standings.. but that other school you named.....

View attachment 70026

I am an unbiased observer here, but aint no way that school that wears that putrid shade of light blue finishes ahead of Duke. Lemme go outside and calm down a bit.
For clarity, I never said VPI was or would finish higher than Duke…but I do think the Tar Heels will….
Sorry Music Video GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom