Wenyen in The Courant | The Boneyard

Wenyen in The Courant

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I love Mustafa Heron's comments about not wanted to stay home. I bet Fairfield U. is crushed to read that.

Reaction Score
I love Mustafa Heron's comments about not wanted to stay home. I bet Fairfield U. is crushed to read that.

Sounds like someone he's been close to his whole life got to him ;). Couldn't go to his hometowns HS then went to a prep and couldn't stay and now in Waterbury because they had a really good team blah blah blah this kids recruitment plays like a bad broken record. And it's not on the kid.

Reaction Score
Sounds like someone he's been close to his whole life got to him ;). Couldn't go to his hometowns HS then went to a prep and couldn't stay and now in Waterbury because they had a really good team blah blah blah this kids recruitment plays like a bad broken record. And it's not on the kid.
Think he's waiting on a Kentucky offer, if it comes he joins the squid.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The schools that have come hardest at him, he said, are Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, UConn, Notre Dame, Texas and Miami.

Gabriel is 185 pounds, very spindly, so in evaluating destinations, he is trying to figure out what style would suit him best.

"I'm kind of thin right now, kind of position-less right now," he said. "So I need to figure out where I would translate for the NBA."

The things Gabriel is looking for:

"First, good relationship with head coach and success in the past," he said. "I want to know if I can make it to where I want to go from that school. … I want to go to a school where the interest is [mutual], where they're recruiting me hard."

Taking him at his word, it would seem that we fit his criteria better than any other school he's considering, with Duke and Kentucky also in the mix.

Some interesting quotes from him in the recent Zags piece:

Gabriel broke down what he likes about several of those schools:

Kentucky: “We [me and Calipari] talk a lot. He’s one of the few schools that would like me to play on the wing. Since he can bring in a lot of big guys, he can allow me to do that so that’s kind of appealing.”

Duke: “Coach K says Duke is a great fit for me. He really wants me to come come down. He says once I get the feel for the campus I’ll have a better idea what he’s talking about.”

He added: “A lot of people think since I liked Duke [growing up], I was going to go to Duke but that’s not the case. I’m still looking for what’s best for me.”

Maryland: “I like their style of play. I like the whole atmosphere there, it’s kind of nice.”

UConn: “I think it’s cool [that they play small forwards at the four spot] because at the next level they’re able to translate that and play the three. A lot of schools have been doing that. A lot of schools say that they can play you at the four but I don’t know if they want you to stay at the four all year. That’s going to play a role.”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Pessimistic about getting him. We have beaten the big boys irregularly. Ollie was on him early. Maybe that will help.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some interesting quotes from him in the recent Zags piece: UConn: “I think it’s cool [that they play small forwards at the four spot] because at the next level they’re able to translate that and play the three. A lot of schools have been doing that. A lot of schools say that they can play you at the four but I don’t know if they want you to stay at the four all year. That’s going to play a role.”

Hopefully we are selling time at the three too. Doesn't really sound like it here? But it's just one quote and I don't really know.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hopefully we are selling time at the three too. Doesn't really sound like it here? But it's just one quote and I don't really know.
Tough to tell in context, but my read is that he isn't sure what he wants to/can/should be yet and wants to have both options available as he develops, and he likes that we have a history of developing 4s with his skill set, which essentially gives him the ability to play the position based on the way he develops.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It will be cool to have our first Chinese player in Wen Yen. I hope he can have the same impact as Jeremy Lin had with the Knicks.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This kid ain't playing the three anywhere. Anyone telling him that is lying

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Terry Larrier is here as a tall SF. Gabriel needs to be willing to do what the team needs or go elsewhere, IMHO. I would not like to see a change in the JC approach that did not promise playing time to anyone. Maybe that was not completely true, but I have never heard anything that disputed this approach for JC or KO, for that matter.

Reaction Score
Pessimistic about getting him. We have beaten the big boys irregularly. Ollie was on him early. Maybe that will help.
How do you beat someone 'irregularly'? Maybe We should give them a laxative!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom