went to gampel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

went to gampel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
oh so you were facing the benches and stuff

Yerp, that'd be me. Pretty good seats.

I've walked through there a couple of times, but never really sat down and watched. Walking through today and seeing Kemba on the court was a good enough reason for me to sit down and watch for a while. It was pretty awesome seeing the team practice, the first time for me. So my eyes were glued to the court.

Reaction Score
I must have gotten there after practice. Jimmy and ESPN's Andy Katz were talking for at least 20 mins. DD was shooting around all behind the three point line, seemed to be hot and cold...would make four or five in a row then clang a couple. He's really skinny too. Drummond taking foul shots for awhile. Olander and Giffey taking jumpers on the side courts. Pretty sure Joe D'Ambrosio was hanging out. Hartford Courant writer Dom Amore was there too walking around in a three piece suit. He's a big boy. When I left Katz had set up a camera on a tripod and was taping an interview between him and Kemba. That's all I have for details.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I must have gotten there after practice. Jimmy and ESPN's Andy Katz were talking for at least 20 mins. DD was shooting around all behind the three point line, seemed to be hot and cold...would make four or five in a row then clang a couple. He's really skinny too. Drummond taking foul shots for awhile. Olander and Giffey taking jumpers on the side courts. Pretty sure Joe D'Ambrosio was hanging out. Hartford Courant writer Don Amore was there too walking around in a three piece suit. He's a big boy. When I left Katz had set up a camera on a tripod and was taping an interview between him and Kemba. That's all I have for details.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the updates guys, they really are appreciated.

I envision Calhoun sitting up in the stands like a lion looking over a heard of wilderbeast, scanning for the weak and looking for the injured. The master of his domain.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
He just sits with his legs and arms crossed, usually having someone next to him who he chats with

Reaction Score
Went over to Gampel today to check things out. The team was scrimmaging. Started off with Boatright, Kemba, Hasheen, Olander and Roscoe vs. DD, Shabazz, Drummond, Lamb and Oriakhi. Really good basketball overall. Giffey, Okwandu and Wolf subbed in after the first game and the bigs just kinda rotated after that. The guards/SFs played the whole time. Calhoun and Blaney quietly watched in the front row for as long as I was there. Ollie, Miller and Hobbs came at the end. They went HARD for the time I was watching (about 45 minutes) and were still playing when I ended up leaving. They would stop for about a minute in between games then get right back to it, I think the games were up to 7 or something. Lots of fun to watch. Here were some of my impressions:

- Boatright is REALLY impressive. Very, very quick with a tremendous handle....as quick if not quicker than Kemba. Very shifty, great acceleration on the fast break. Always looking to push it going north. Not afraid at all to sky for a rebound amongst the big guys. Made a bunch of shots too, not just a passer. Vocal on the floor, quick to pick guys up after a good play. Some really nice drives to the basket with a couple highlight-level reverse layups complemented by some textbook pull-up jumpers ala Kemba. Came away most impressed with him. He's gonna be a really good one.

- Shabazz impressed too. He reminded me a lot of Marcus Williams when he was running the show a couple years ago, in that he is always in control and eyes focused on everything happening around him. He plays quick but seems to keep the game slow, if that makes sense. Seems to really dictate the pace and flow of the offense the way Marcus would. Better shooter than Marcus and def quicker. Probably more vocal than I had expected, always telling guys where to go and what plays to run as you would expect a team leader/PG to do. Very fluid out there, very smooth. Made a couple nice threes. Looks like he added about 10-15 pounds of muscle, certainly more filled out than last year. He looked really good.

- Lamb clearly the best player on the floor, with the exception of Kemba. Made every open shot I saw him take including a handful of threes. For all the games I saw, Kemba and Lamb were matched up on each other. Lamb really impressed defensively, was able to hang with Kemba the whole time without any problems. Very good handle with the ball, Kemba's clearly a solid defender and Lamb showed no problems with a smaller, quicker guy guarding him. Quietly excels offensively and defensively when he's on the floor.

- Drummond didn't really stand out as much as I had expected. Seemed to MAYBE roll his ankle just a bit early on so that may have affected him the rest of the way. Has a little trouble finishing around the basket if he doesn't have a clear dunk. Tendency to flail around a bit in the paint. Not as active in rebounding as I would have thought. His size is impressive though, not as toned but certainly as big as Oriakhi, bigger than Okwandu. Andre was matched up against Olander when he was in there.

- DD was impressive. He surprised me with his ball handling for a big man, especially when he was in transition or driving to the hoop. Flat out drained a couple really nice threes. Not afraid to mix it up with the bigger guys in the paint. I like him a lot.

- Giffey had some nice shots. Doesn't "wow" offensively but very solid overall. Clearly a good shooter. May have added some muscle over the break, more filled out than I remember. Made every shot I saw him take.

- NBA guys were as you'd expect: Kemba was great, Hasheem didn't separate himself as you would like a 1st rd pick to do. Had a couple nice elbow jumpers which was a bit of a surprise. Just seems to kind of get lost in the shuffle a little. He was matched up against Oriakhi the whole time, who is clearly a more physical player. Alex tended to beat him with muscle and tenacity. I know it was just a scrimmage but if you didn't know the players and you had to pick the 5 most likely to be in the NBA, Hasheem wouldn't make the list.

- Roscoe and Oriakhi were as you'd expect, solid overall, nothing flashy. Roscoe had a couple nice threes. Always nice to see him crash the boards too. He was matched up against DD the whole time. AO was solid as I said earlier. A couple nice jumpers on the baseline. Was jarring a little big with Shabazz at one point....couldn't tell if it was just trash talk or what. Seemed to go on for longer than I would have thought though which was a little suprising and led me to believe it was more than just good natured trash talk. Who knows though, just as easily could have been two friends needling each other. The team overall though is clearly very close, which is always nice to see. Olander was very active, lots of hustle. Couple nice dunks off of rebounds, some nice baseline shots here and there. He quietly does a nice job, and like the other guys he clearly filled out a little bit over the offseason, probably moreso than anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score
Was jarring a little big with Shabazz at one point....couldn't tell if it was just trash talk or what. Seemed to go on for longer than I would have thought though which was a little suprising and led me to believe it was more than just good natured trash talk. Who knows though, just as easily could have been two friends needling each other.

Bev and Adrien used to go at it talking trash and arguing during some of the scrimmages I saw and they were close off the court. Just part of the game.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Wolf didn't play at all? I'm really interested to see how his game-speed play has developed.

Reaction Score
Wolf didn't play at all? I'm really interested to see how his game-speed play has developed.

He rotated in at center. He didn't look out of place but he didn't exactly do anything memorable either haha.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Wonderful write up. Thanks. How did players look defensively?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great, insightful write up!

If you had brought a video camera in and started to film, would you have been asked to stop or leave? Just curious as it would be great to see.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Wait yeah I just thought of it: they didn't kick you out of a scrimmage? Lucky.

Reaction Score
Excellent report. One thing that seems to stand out in your post is how well some of the players shot the ball. I've been to my share of pick-up action and most of the time I see a lot of missed shots, and it's not like they're playing lock down D.

This is a very good sign. With the shot-maker Kemba no longer on the team, they're going to need to spread out the scoring, but it seems they have enough weapons to do so.

I'm not surprised by Daniel's handle. In the clips I've seen, for a kid his length he handles the ball like a guard.

The report on Boatright is very encouraging. He's the one player who has to play at a relatively high level right out of the gate. Bazz can't play 40 minutes, so Ryan will be called upon to fill in at both guard positions, particularly the point. From the game I watched on TV, he seemed to have a mature game. I expect him to contribute just as much if not more than Bazz did last season.

Lastly, as for AD, he seems like a kid who JC will need to light a fire under. Remember how he sat Alex last season for a good part of a game or so when he wasn't happy with his effort. I would not be shocked to see something similar happen to Andre if he doesn't play aggressively. We know Alex is going to log big minutes, but Olander, Bradley, Wolf and even Roscoe (at the 4) are all going to be gunning for front-court minutes. Nothing will be given to Andre just because he's big, talented and highly ranked. He's going to have to earn it. He was very passive in the paint during one of the summer tournament games I watched on TV. He had the habit of just standing there when the ball was coming off the rim on the offense end of the floor. Hopefully he'll respond to JC and the other coaches and gear up that motor of his.

Thanks again for the detailed report. I can't wait to see these kids in action.

Reaction Score
If you had brought a video camera in and started to film, would you have been asked to stop or leave? Just curious as it would be great to see.

Haha that might have been a little different. I was just sitting and watching so I don't think they cared much. Plus, apparently the Goal Patrol meets there before the soccer games, because when I went in there were about 30 kids all watching and the doors to Gampel were propped open.

Wonderful write up. Thanks. How did players look defensively?

Very good, they were all working hard. It didn't hurt that Calhoun and Blaney were watching the whole time either.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Monday again, went after class around 1. AD and Wolf came out first. AD was at the far basket working with one of the younger "coaches" (not sure what to call then since they definitely aren't actual coaches) and you could definitely tell the staff is trying to get his release higher. He was standing on the "Big" of the Big East logo in the key, then later at the line just shooting, making sure he brings his elbow up higher before releasing. Honestly, it didn't look very good and he was missing alot of shots left (rolling off his right thumb?), but I guess that's what comes with altering your shot that has done you well for god knows how long thus far. I hope he starts getting the new mechanics of his shot down in the next 3.5ish weeks.

Then the rest of the team came out. The bigs, including RS, were on the far side working on setting screens and preparing to make/receive passes off said screens. The guards, NG and DD were on the near side working on various mid-range moves and shots. DD still has the prettiest shot, but NG was shining amongst them all, especially coming around a pick and roll. RB still goes HARD in the paint.

Then everyone got together, presumably to start scrimmaging, and I knew I was about to be thrown out so I just got up and left around 1:50

Reaction Score
Looks like today's practice is 3:15 at Gampel. I'm gonna try to do a lot of Tweeting, if anyone is interested I'm at @tayjlaw on Twitter.

Reaction Score
Watched about 15 minutes of practice in '04 betw. BET and NCAAT. Before being thrown out. It was awesome.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Watched about 15 minutes of practice in '04 betw. BET and NCAAT. Before being thrown out. It was awesome.

Calhoun actually invited us inside to watch when we were camped out before the Nova game in 06. Ray Reid bought us pizza. Then Geno came over and yelled at us for not coming to the women's games. Cool experience all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom