Well this is strange...update on Beckie Francis (Oakland) firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
LINK

From the article...

■ Fixated on their weights, to a point that photos were taken of players in their sports bras and Spandex to chart body changes and that some players developed eating issues.
■ Pushed her religious beliefs, insisting players attend church services on trips and showing Christian-based videos on bus rides.
■ Engaged in intimidation and emotional abuse, “head games” far beyond common motivational methods used by coaches.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Also, her husband was the president of the university at the time. This is the same Oakland that we played last season.

Reaction Score
She has a pretty sad background - sexually abused for years by her father growing up (on a skimming, I didn't see if the article mentioned it - I imagine an article of that length must have). Whatever helped her get through that mentally, I can understand - but obviously being in a position of power over young females wasn't a great thing for her, in hindsight.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It mentioned it, but her treatment of these athletes was appalling, regardless. She wanted them to all be skinny, and would comment on their weight incessantly. (Most coaches want their players to bulk up!!) She pressured a Muslim player to convert to Christianity, and suspended a girl for not cheering loudly enough on the bench after a made free throw. She had something like 36 players transfer out in the past seven years.

The sad part is that since she was married to the president of the university, the players did not feel they had any recourse for their complaints. It wasn't until players started complaining anonymously that the allegations were looked into.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
seems like her sexual abuse had something to do with her "abuse of power"

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Coaches who feel the need to pressure kids regarding their religious beliefs are incredibly tiresome. Good riddance, I say.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
And did no one notice the conflict of interest with her husband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom