Welcome to UConn, Ashlynn! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn, Ashlynn!

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma on Ashlynn Shade:

"When I talk about getting tougher, getting physically tougher, and getting more athletic, I don't think there's anyone like Ashlynn who's physically tougher and who's that athletic and has that kind of midrange and is that competitive defensively.

"You can't even pigeonhole her into any position, you can just say she's just a really good basketball player".

Reaction Score
I can definitely see a Carla Berube vibe from Ashlynn but a stronger vibe that I have thrown out before is that of Shea Ralph- A punishing & physically intimidating style of play.

View attachment 80527
I love the form in both these photos. The release point is high and at the top of the jump. They are strong enough to shoot the ball without needing the impetus of the jump itself.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Surprised no one has made the Kelly Faris comparison - incredible strength and athleticism and ability to defend anyone. Shade may have more offense but Kelly had a 3.76 A/TO on about 80 assists per year and was everyone's nightmare on defense.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I am always very reticent to comment on recruits, because after scouting players for a number of years, the jump from HS to D1 is huge and projecting IMO is an inexact science to say the least. A good friend whom I did a fair amount of scouting with through the years still scouts but being older, like me, he now works almost exclusively the women’s game; it is just way more “old school” basketball than the mens game.
Anyway, knowing it was THE thing I always looked for first, a year or better ago, he called me to tell me that he saw a young lady play at a tournament that was as ferocious a competitor as he had seen in a long, long time. It turned out he was referring to Ms. Shade, which I confirmed with him after starting to read about her here. That and her “in today‘s game” very unusual highly advanced mid-range game made a very lasting impression on him.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn is also a consummate team player, and this on a team not stacked with future D1 prospects. She made her team better, found her teammates open shots when she could, even in big moments. She’s a scorer and is not afraid of taking the big shot. But like Paige, she knows that only the team can win.

We will love this about her.
Yes! Thanks for mentioning that part about the consummate team player. She has that ability to understand the flow of the game. When to attack and when to dial it back and let others get that shine. That is such a huge factor, to me, being that ultimate team player.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn seems to do a ton with little kids in her area. She's a local hero for sure and an excellent role model. She seems to be a young woman who is truly dedicated to being the best she can be. Good things happen when you associate with such people. We are very fortunate to have her. I hope she enjoys her time at Uconn. If she just continues to try her best it will all work out for her. Even if she doesn't make the pros ( which I see no reason why she couldn't have a pro career ), her experience can give her a great career as a coach or athletic trainer or AD or any other related endeavor. Uconn is one of the highest profile schools in the world in her field. It's like going to harvard is academically only for women's basketball. It's a door opener and an asset in NIL etc. Who knows what she can become but if she has faith in the process and gets a degree she already will have a pedigree for life in her sport.

Reaction Score
I don't get any reason why her rating should have dropped. She's only gotten better, including last year where she had a tremendous year. She was a lock for Miss basketball this year but transferred to a private school. Imagine the demands on this kid's time already as a leading celebrity in the state. She seems to be making very mature decisions about her life. I just hope she can compartmentalize the pressure. Do her best but not worry about the outcome. She must feel a lot of pressure given her situation. All these kids must. No matter what, it will all be ok for her going forward and I hope she tries to remember that. Ashlynn Shade — UConn recruit and Miss Basketball lock — leaves Noblesville for prep school

Reaction Score
Ashlynn is a pure baller. She has a court presence second to none. A very good scorer, shooter, driver, FT maker. Also, very good on D. Can make steals, rebound a stopper. Will have a great Uconn career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ashlyn’s team beat Ayanna’s team in the Indiana tourney. She also edged Ayanna for one of the Indiana POY awards. Reportedly, she worked hard on her 3-point shooting this summer. She’ll like working out with Azzi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom