Welcome to Professor Auriemma's psych class 101 | The Boneyard

Welcome to Professor Auriemma's psych class 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What Geno's and CD's comments tell me regarding the FDU game is Geno know's this team has major potential and class is in session. He is a master at motivating his players and his coaching skills are at full throttle. This was not the worse game he has ever seen and if anything he will accept nothing less than the effort they showed at the Stanford game.

I am actually very encouraged that Geno is taking such a hard approach with this very young team. He must see the potential they have and I believe based on his reaction he now believe's this team is in the run for a National Championship. Not since Sue, Swin, Tamika and Asia have we had freshman with the impact that this years frosh class can have.

It has been years since we could bring in 5 players from the bench without skipping a beat. I don't know what finally kicked in for Heather but she is playing her best basketball yet. Both Banks and Stokes are plaing beyond their years. KML is going to be another superstar.

Work your magic Geno, these kids came to UCONN to be challenged and reach their full potential. No other coach in the game can get what he gets out of his players. It's going to be a great season !

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I think we are going to see some subtle and some not so subtle messages sent to this team today and tomorrow. It wouldn't totally surprise me if some people are benched tonight.

Reaction Score
CTP: wow....grinning here as you just stole my headline......well, almost. Mine was going to be something like "Making Schizophenics 101."

I agree with your conclusions: how terrific Geno is at getting the most out of (most) of his players........going to be a great season. Also agree with alot of whta you had to say within the body of your post. ANd I love his wise-cracking stuff....we .even tape some of his talk shows to enjoy with visiting friends

But, as is well known here, I am not in the "he walks on water" camp. That is, like Chris Dailey, I am a glass-half-full
man who also sees he negatives along with the postivies. Which brings me to "Making Schizophrenics 101."

There is a school of thought which contends that the parents of schizophrenics tended to give their kids alot of mixed messages and conflicting messages. There are many times when I am astonished at the diametrically opposite messages Coach utters - often in proximity to one another. Just last night on his talk show, he was making a very strong point about why he didnt play alot of his squad against Stanford (something which I certainly noticed and did not appreciate, despite the victory):

In essense, his defense of that decision-making was , "I play the kids who play in practice....the ones who are NOT TENTATIVE in practice.....the ones who are NOT AFRAID TO MAKE A MISTAKE....the ones who DON;T OVERTHINK and just PLAY......just play.....be CONSiSTENT.....that is what I look for.....and if you do that iin practice you will play in the game."

Yet in his postgame quote, he says this about Banks who just led the team in scoring, had some nifty steals and some aggressive defense: again this is in essence, not exact quote..........."So Banks is making a bunch of layups......and i tell her to run the half-court offense.....and she gets hold of the ball again and drives the length of the floor and lays it in for two more points. So, we learn that BAnks can make layups." Very funny to read and listen to for a fan, myself included......but comprehensible and USEFUL to a young and senstive player when juxtaposed against the previous message about getting playing time?? CONSISTENT on t he part of Coach himself.....or a mixed message? "The demise of Charde Houston 101?"

I sometimes think about what it would be like to play for Geno, and I think it would be terrific for the most part....alot of learning.....about basketball....about life....alot of success at the highest level....alot of wonderful experiences......and probably a ton of chuckles. But I can see where there must be alot of very confusing moments as well. Banks got about 4 or 5 minutes against Stanford.....after playing some very nice basketball for us several games in a row. Then she went out and "just played" last night.

Reaction Score
That was a pretty bad game. FDU was terrible.

We've now had 2 games in a row in which UConn's offense has underperformed. It definitely is a concern.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Win, I don't think the two Geno comments are in opposition to each other. He wants kids who can be aggressive and not hesitate, but he wants to see that within the scheme of what the team is supposed to be executing. They are supposed to be executing the half court offense and to be agressive and not hesitate within that structure. He is giving that order because he knows that down the road they will need to be able to run that offense to create quality shots against the better teams. He, also, knows that agains thtose better teams no one will be getting loose and going the length of the court very often.

Reaction Score
I agree his approach does not work with all kids. If you look at Rebecca, sue, Swin, tamika, Asia, Diana, Renee, Tina and other great professional players though.....

As far as scoring, offense does not win games. This maybe the best defensive team we have ever had. If you remember the 2010 N.C., we scored 12 points in the first half, the thing that saved us was we kept Stanford to ## points (forgot the score but it was also low).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Asjha not Asia... I just call her AJones when I cant remember how its spelled!

Reaction Score
Despite the misspelle words and-commentary, I still think GA knows what he is doing. And , despite his comment hat he couldn't handle the minds of 15 seventeen year olds (said on the show), he is very much the astute student of the adolescent psyche and he has proven this to be true year after year, player after player. You want Schizo. read todays NYTimes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Geno's target is a specific player--like Bria--it is because he thinks she is capable of more.

I agree with the point that he is not coddling the frosh. He thinks they can be really good.

With all of the players, if they are only "fair," Geno assesses them as "really bad."

Reaction Score
ICE - Certainly understand what you are saying here, point by point, and even agree with it all, EXCEPT for the very first sentence. In fact, I don't think what you've said here is really in conflict with the point of my post. Seems to comfortable coexist. But i do continue to perceive Geno as often issuing conflicting comments. The Banks story was just an example.

Are you gearing up for the 'Nits game vs.Whiskey? Huge. We are - got the blue and white shirt out already. But first I have to split wood.

Win, I don't think the two Geno comments are in opposition to each other. He wants kids who can be aggressive and not hesitate, but he wants to see that within the scheme of what the team is supposed to be executing. They are supposed to be executing the half court offense and to be agressive and not hesitate within that structure. He is giving that order because he knows that down the road they will need to be able to run that offense to create quality shots against the better teams. He, also, knows that agains thtose better teams no one will be getting loose and going the length of the court very often.

Reaction Score
I agree his approach does not work with all kids. If you look at Rebecca, sue, Swin, tamika, Asia, Diana, Renee, Tina and other great professional players though.....

As far as scoring, offense does not win games. This maybe the best defensive team we have ever had. If you remember the 2010 N.C., we scored 12 points in the first half, the thing that saved us was we kept Stanford to ## points (forgot the score but it was also low).[/quote

CTP - agree with you re the notion that this team is capable of some tremendous defense. Hard for me to say if best ever....but sure can see them being in contention for that....

Reaction Score
Asjha not Asia... I just call her AJones when I cant remember how its spelled!

DC - chuckling over here. Glad to know someone else has come to that point.......and developed that strategy for coping. Stay well.

Reaction Score
Despite the misspelle words and-commentary, I still think GA knows what he is doing. And , despite his comment hat he couldn't handle the minds of 15 seventeen year olds (said on the show), he is very much the astute student of the adolescent psyche and he has proven this to be true year after year, player after player. You want Schizo. read todays NYTimes.

TIMED: Clearly, Geno can do some terrific motivating. And, GOOD one on your NY Times quip....still grinning. Stay well.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ICE - Certainly understand what you are saying here, point by point, and even agree with it all, EXCEPT for the very first sentence. In fact, I don't think what you've said here is really in conflict with the point of my post. Seems to comfortable coexist. But i do continue to perceive Geno as often issuing conflicting comments. The Banks story was just an example.

Are you gearing up for the 'Nits game vs.Whiskey? Huge. We are - got the blue and white shirt out already. But first I have to split wood.
I am meeting friends at a local establishment for dinner and the game.
I did not necessarily think what I was saying was in conflict with your thoughts but rather refocussing it in a different way. Geno clearly does say things that can sound diametrically opposed.

Reaction Score
When Geno's target is a specific player--like Bria--it is because he thinks she is capable of more.

I agree with the point that he is not coddling the frosh. He thinks they can be really good.

With all of the players, if they are only "fair," Geno assesses them as "really bad."

MILFORD - you guys are really close to hilarious today.....maybe not all that upset by last night's performance afterall. Your last line a real winner and right on target. Stay well. Not I gotta get to that wood. Mighty cold coming up before too many more days.

Reaction Score
That was a pretty bad game. FDU was terrible. We've now had 2 games in a row in which UConn's offense has underperformed. It definitely is a concern.
No psychology! I think Geno was simply telling the unvarnished truth; UCONN played poorly. They don't run plays, let alone run them properly. Occasionally they remember, oh yeah we are supposed to start the offense through Stef. Then as soon as Stef passes the ball back out ... more passes? ... ah ... noooo ... gun it! They may be great practice shooters, but they are not good game time shooters. They shot 42% against FDU?! It looked like a high school game. In the day coaches got our attention and focus on running plays after a poor game by a practice of nothing but gassers. During the next game if we were not executing, the coach would ask if we wanted another gasser practice. That question was followed by the crispest execution you ever saw.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No psychology! I think Geno was simply telling the unvarnished truth; UCONN played poorly. They don't run plays, let alone run them properly. Occasionally they remember, oh yeah we are supposed to start the offense through Stef. Then as soon as Stef passes the ball back out ... more passes? ... ah ... noooo ... gun it! They may be great practice shooters, but they are not good game time shooters. They shot 42% against FDU?! It looked like a high school game. In the day coaches got our attention and focus on running plays after a poor game by a practice of nothing but gassers. During the next game if we were not executing, the coach would ask if we wanted another gasser practice. That question was followed by the crispest execution you ever saw.
That is in fact a lot of applied psychology.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It called coaching. Psychology is today's alchemy.
Nothing alchemic about psychology itself, although there are certainly applications of pseudo psychology that are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom