Welcome Kaitlyn! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Welcome Kaitlyn!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi, KK, Shade, Ziebell, Cheli & now Chen. Thats not counting Q & Caroline who are listed as guards.
Who's going to rebound? Who's going to defend the size that the top teams have?
is there a rule that it's illegal for guards to rebound and defend against the terrifying BIGS??

those folks you listed fully are capable of rebounding and harassing giants, but if that would be a violation, it's probably not good to try to board or defend bigs. OTOH, since have an abundance of guards ... well, maybe it's ok if most of them foul out.

or, hawk points out some great alternatives in post #38.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the future holds, and neither does anyone else here on the BY. I expect we will discuss who starts and how many minutes, etc. until we are ready to slash our wrists :) . One thing I do know and can say with confidence is that Kaitlyn has been very well coached, possibly by the future HC of the UConn Huskies.

Welcome aboard!

Reaction Score
Great addition, welcome Kaitlyn! I’m really pleased with this. She will provide proven experienced guard depth to a young team with a ton of question marks.

We have 4 players who have never played a college basketball game, 5 players coming off of season ending injuries, and we’ll have a combined 8 underclassmen eligibility wise. And assurance against injury is top of mind recently!

While some think we don’t need the additional guard help, I don’t think it could hurt! Excited to see what Chen brings to the squad.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm glad that Kaitlyn has decided to come to UConn. At first I was not all that interested in her being a portal addition. I based that on watching her play three times late in the Ivy League season and tournament. Two of games were against Columbia and I didn't think that she played all that well.
But it isn't fair to make my judgment on those three games late in the season.
Looking forward to seeing play for our Huskies.

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget how the team struggled when Nika had to leave the game.

So now we have a point guard with 4 years of experience who has the stats that says she's a really good player.

She has been learning from a coach that learned from Gino, now she is going to be studying under her teachers teacher. I'm thinking this will be more of a continuation of how to play the game, not learning how to play for Geno & CD but more like refining & preparing for the next level.

KK needs more time. This will take the pressure off of KK.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of people liking this young lady.
This. We need a steadying presence. Takes pressure off the youngsters and gives them more time to develop.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see Kaitlyn join the team. She an experienced point guard that will likely be able to contribute right out of the gate; will take the pressure off Allie and Morgan and let them integrate into the UConn system, which can take time; will let the back court play fast and aggressively without fear of foul trouble or fourth quarter exhaustion; will provide injury insurance.

I looked at her stats to see what we can expect:

She shoots well - career 47% and 49% last year. Career 50% on twos and 52% last year. She's not a great 3 point shooter at 29% career and 32% last year. If she can make mid-range shots and lay-ups there are others who can carry the 3 point load.

She had 147 assists last year along with 38 steals.

Question - she was at Princeton for three years, wky is she a grad transfer with one year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see Kaitlyn join the team. She an experienced point guard that will likely be able to contribute right out of the gate; will take the pressure off Allie and Morgan and let them integrate into the UConn system, which can take time; will let the back court play fast and aggressively without fear of foul trouble or fourth quarter exhaustion; will provide injury insurance.

I looked at her stats to see what we can expect:

She shoots well - career 47% and 49% last year. Career 50% on twos and 52% last year. She's not a great 3 point shooter at 29% career and 32% last year. If she can make mid-range shots and lay-ups there are others who can carry the 3 point load.

She had 147 assists last year along with 38 steals.

Question - she was at Princeton for three years, wky is she a grad transfer with one year of eligibility?
The Ivy League didn’t allow their teams to play for the Covid year. They also won’t allow their players to use their covid year. So she played 3 years but did 4 years of school. So she has to go somewhere else to use her last year of basketball eligibility. She entered the portal last summer and has been recruited during the season due to this.

Reaction Score
I don’t get why this is so hard to understand. She won’t stop KK’s development, if anything she’ll challenge her and make her better so that she’s more than fit to run the team after Kaitlyn and Paige leaves next year. She scores, facilitates and plays defense. An amazing pickup if you ask me.
I think there are two obvious things that most of those who post perhaps are not keeping in mind

It will be a welcome and tremendous accomplishment, if Azzi is ready for the start
Of the season let alone be at full strength i’m sure the hope is that she would be at full strength by feb
In a 3 guard lineup which im certain GA will play
It does not force freshman into having to play
Significantly early in the season

Secondly -the four guard lineup utilized last year worked extraordinarily well
Especially on the defensive side
I think GA was very comfortable with that lineup
And While I don’t believe that will be his base starting lineup. I believe there’s times where he will go to the Four guard line up

I believe Ms Chen will be one of 4 guards in the rotation of a 3 guard lineup
And play 20-25 minutes in “meaningful games”

Having watched her play the number of times, including the game against UCLA last year and the game against UConn the season before the thing that did stand out for me is that she’s not afraid of the big moment and definitely has the eye of the Tiger

I look forward to watching her play

Reaction Score
Who's going to defend the great guard play UCONN has? The entire league could barely handle Clark. UCONN adding now another shooter/scorer. In addtion Sarah Strong is a "rebounder."
Lol this constant fascination and having to have big players it’s hard to understand

It’s about having a really really good players who can play with each other regardless of size

I think many people have basketball PTSD
From the final against South Carolina, where we got completely overwhelmed inside
It wasn’t for a lack of size
Ono at 6:5 Allyah 6;3 and Caroline 6:2
UConn just wasn’t good enough that day
A year later, Iowa beat t basically the same team with the tallest player being 6/3

That being said I Ms Beers decides to come, that would be very significant

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom