Weist Bashing: Why the 3-5 argument does not hold any weight. | The Boneyard

Weist Bashing: Why the 3-5 argument does not hold any weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of all let me qualify my comments by mentioning the fact that I want the best coach for the program, not necessarily the biggest name, or a coordinator from a big school or conference. If we can find a wonderful coach that no one knows about, i'm all for it. I'm looking for results, improvement, also important is longevity ( which means if we hire a coach who is successful for 2 years and leaves right after, that's a bad hire).

Appearances can be deceiving, so i think its best for WM to be completely impartial and evaluate coaches to the highest extent possible. Weist might not be the best candidate, but he is a good candidate. A good coach, a motivator, and he has shown that he can learn for his mistakes! I would not be surprised if this team gets to a bowl game next year if he is HC (based upon momentum and the improvement of the underclassmen). Anyone that uses the 2 1/2 game argument is quite stupid and naive.

Now lets address this 3-5 record.

Louisville- 11-1 record, 7-1 in the conference
at UCF-11-1 record, 8-0 in the conference
at Cincinnati 9-3, 6-2 in the conference.

These teams lost one game in the conference, where they did not play each other Cincinnati lost to USF in South Florida.

We were not going to win those games ( we got blown out by Buffalo and Towson keep that in mind), No way in hell !

and to hold Weist responsible for those 3 losses, when he did not have an off-season, did not have a training camp. and had only a bye week to prepare as coach Is the height of stupidity and ignorance.

That changes the record to 3-2 ( as far a winnable games). Now the USF game was on Weist, and his inexperience as a HC, we should have had that game, he gave up on the run, and threw the ball too many times. The decision to start Boyle was not a smart decision for a coach with a mandate to win now. Had me scratching my Head with that one. Boyle may have the most raw talent of the QBs but that doesn't mean that he is ready to start, the speed of the game was too much for him at this point in his young career.

SMU was a winnable game also, however, the defense was horrible and CC had some turnovers late and it was a road game.

Weist can build this program, if he is not the HC it better be a damn good replacement, and not just some name that looks good from a distance and will bring us back to square one. This program has taken a step forward and is not at rock bottom like before. Also keep in mind that PP credited Weist with helping recruiting last year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think it's worthwhile to ask if we really were rock bottom. I think PPGDL's game day incompetence made us think the talent was worse than it really was. Clearly we are still behind, say, Cincy and Louisville. But the fact that we had decent players should factor into evaluating /weighing wins and losses.

Reaction Score
Bill Parcells might disagree with Jungle. . . . .obviously the program is in a much better place than after the Buffalo game and TJ deserves a lot of things -- respect, credit, more money. UConn has a short window to get a next-level coach like Narduzzi-Lembo-Clawson. But the quality of the opposition in the last three was much, much lower than Cincy-Lou-USF.

Geez I hate this. If Warde and his superiors had done the right thing last December we wouldn't be having this disucssion.

Reaction Score
I think it's worthwhile to ask if we really were rock bottom. I think PPGDL's game day incompetence made us think the talent was worse than it really was. Clearly we are still behind, say, Cincy and Louisville. But the fact that we had decent players should factor into evaluating /weighing wins and losses.
It wasn't just the X's and O's. It really wasn't. It was the lack of enthusiasm and enjoyment. Lack of just plain having fun.

Reaction Score
Bill Parcells might disagree with Jungle. . . . .obviously the program is in a much better place than after the Buffalo game and TJ deserves a lot of things -- respect, credit, more money. UConn has a short window to get a next-level coach like Narduzzi-Lembo-Clawson. But the quality of the opposition in the last three was much, much lower than Cincy-Lou-USF.

Geez I hate this. If Warde and his superiors had done the right thing last December we wouldn't be having this disucssion.

Agreed. PP should have been fired after last season. As for TJ . . . I really do like him as an Xs and Os head coach. He managed what I thought was an impossible task - it turn UConn into a pretty good passing team, who could actually score touchdowns. Randy and Paul lived too often on FGs because they automatically go "turtle" and revert to run, run,run in the red zone.

My only concern about TJ is can he recruit at this level (or actually at a level that would match Cincy, Louisville, Maryland and other comparable programs)? UConn cannot make a mistake hear or this program will be a long time coming back. Whoever is named must be a talented recruiter first and foremost.

Reaction Score
Agreed. PP should have been fired after last season. As for TJ . . . I really do like him as an Xs and Os head coach. He managed what I thought was an impossible task - it turn UConn into a pretty good passing team, who could actually score touchdowns. Randy and Paul lived too often on FGs because they automatically go "turtle" and revert to run, run,run in the red zone.

My only concern about TJ is can he recruit at this level (or actually at a level that would match Cincy, Louisville, Maryland and other comparable programs)? UConn cannot make a mistake hear or this program will be a long time coming back. Whoever is named must be a talented recruiter first and foremost.

Very fair argument.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Actually my point (if it wasn't clear) was that in evaluating those three wins WM should factor in the fact that TJ had as good or better talent than our opposition. The effect being to not overstate the wins. Maybe some of the five losses can be partially discounted (though I still disagree with those that are making excuses for losing to USF and SMU) but at the same time I think we should avoid over-weighing the value of the wins. I do think it is valid to say TJ got the boat turned around in the right direction. So he deserves credit for that. But to play devil's advocate for a second, if the schedule markets had put UCF, Cincy and Louisville at the back end, would the 'Yard have the same opinion right now? Maybe TJW would have gotten a better performance against those teams but I would not put money on us finishing with bowl eligibility.

Reaction Score
If TJ had been coach the whole year he very likely would have been 6-6 -- add Towson and USF and would have found a way to steal one more.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with wins and losses for TJ. It has to do with getting a coach who can recruit, keep kids academically and off the field in line and winning. How TJ dealt with Bullock's suspension has as much to do as the last 3 wins. This is where Manuel is doing his due diligence.

Reaction Score
Everyone is stupid and naive for having a dissenting opinion. Only the OP is a genius. Why again is he posting here and not hiring head coaches for a living.

Again, if Warde goes through the process, and hire TJ based on the criteria you outlined, including longevity, then I'll get behind TJ.

For the life of me I cannot understand the euphoria in this place after beating a bad team, in a meaningless ball game in December. I'm as a big a fan of throwing the ball and offensive fireworks as much as anybody, but all this over analyzing on such a small sample size is too much to take.

I say the above, still willing to admit that every time TJ speaks publicly I'm impressed. A year ago, after Kyle Flood started 7-0, and had save their previous year's recruiting class, RU fans were worried that if they didn't pay him they'd lose him. Now they'd be willing to pay him exhorbitant amounts of money for him to go away. Try a little perspective and try not hurting yourself patting yourself on the back for seeing what the rest of us idiots cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom