OT: - Weirdest ingredient in your kitchen? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Weirdest ingredient in your kitchen?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why then do I have five different vinegars?

Five should be a basic starting point!
White
Red
Apple
Balsamic
Rice Wine

And then add Champagne, white balsamic, several flavored vinegars, and if you're putting your various oils on the same shelf, you've filled a cabinet!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Mayo

85008a.jpg

Reaction Score
Five should be a basic starting point!
White
Red
Apple
Balsamic
Rice Wine

And then add Champagne, white balsamic, several flavored vinegars, and if you're putting your various oils on the same shelf, you've filled a cabinet!

Champagne - wonderful for deviled eggs

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We keep a variety of bush medicine ( plants, herbs, etc.) from South America and the Caribbean. We bring it back on our own. Theres also a dehydrated milk product that my wife’s family grew up on from South America that always shows up whenever someone takes a trip View attachment 43790

Where in South America is she from? I remember Dos Pinos products from living in Argentina

Reaction Score
So seeing that post above. I have red, white, apple cider, balsamic, rice wine, malt, champagne and a jar of rice wine with chili peppers soaking in it. Eight vinegars.

I also have mayo, wasabi mayo, kewpie mayo and mustmayo. Ketchup, sriracha ketchup and curry ketchup.

Reaction Score
I've still got some "ten toes sauce" from the Ollie era, is that weird??

In reality probably minced ginger for making Indian/Asian chicken dishes primarily

Reaction Score
I never use Paprika, but when Ames was going out of business in the early 2000s I bought a massive container from the Ames at the Pyramid Mall in Ithaca. It was so cheap I had to buy it. I moved it to 5 different apartments/houses before I finally tossed it a couple of years ago (wife made me). That was some old, sentimental, unused paprika.
Pyramid mall. Wow. 80s flashback.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The most unusual thing I have in my kitchen is not really odd at all, but I imagine most people are unfamiliar with garlic scapes. I just picked them out of my gardens and they are great in stir fries and pestos. It is basically the stalk that the garlic flower would eventually form off of and they are a more delicate garlic taste with a different texture.
I've never grown the things but buy them at farmer's markets in late spring. Season for them is very short, at least in Pittsburgh. But yeah, love scapes. And ramps. And fiddleheads. All great with quick sautee or stir-fry.
Tonight's special pie at Bufalina:

Pizza Special:
Roasted garlic scape pizza
buffalo mozzarella & bacon

I don't know why I tortured myself by looking. We had Bufalina on Saturday night and we already have dinner planned for tonight. But like @August_West , I am kicking myself for missing the special pie they had with ramps a few weeks ago, and now it looks like I am going to miss this season's scape pie window, too.

Damn.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having absolutely no comprehension of the 1L workload, I thought it would be a good idea to pack some saffron from my Long Island kitchen, you know, in case I wanted to cook in my spare time.
Since your 1L days are way in the rear view mirror and you may have occasional free time @Hans Sprungfeld , you can grow your own. Saffron that is, USAmerican home grown. I’m thinking of giving it a go ...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would not be the least bit surprised if Fishy lived off a gray liquid drink from the future that provided his full daily nutritional needs.

That's because he's the only one of us not currently stuck in the Matrix. When a poster vanishes....unplugged.

Reaction Score
Other than Budweiser, the American swill, a well intended spouse bought in error many months ago ...

... a quick look suggests some possibilities from one cabinet:
Dried Mushrooms x6, best tasting variety appears like a white birch bark/rattlesnake skin hybrid
Pork lung chili sauce
Sweat Beam Sauce (not sweet bean, nor Jim Beam)
Black bean chili oil
Rose bean curd
Fermented bean curd with sesame oil
Sesame Jam (paste?)
Crisp Chili Oil with Soy Protein
Sweet Osmanthus (tea olive) Flower - know it’s used as dessert
Ohgon No Aji “Mild” BBQ Sauce (ingredients: apple, peach & plum purée, soya, honey, sake, sesame oil)
Uhaghi Sushi Sauce - last 2 not so obscure

I received my unusual-boneyard-pantry Amazon order this afternoon. Crisp chili oil is incredible. This may be my second favorite post ever on the Boneyard, after Makers Muppet.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I received my unusual-boneyard-pantry Amazon order this afternoon. Crisp chili oil is incredible. This may be my second favorite post ever on the Boneyard, after Makers Muppet.

Just placed mine earlier this evening.

Reaction Score
Bacon Salt, its 10 years old and barely used. I refuse to throw it away, only to remind myself to never purchase it again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom