Weird Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Weird Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
AZHuskiePop said:
What happened to Hartford ,that place use to Rock. We had some of our biggest wins in the history of the program in front of incredible crowds at that place. Has the state's love affair with UConn basketball died? Did all the negative press UConn got for years take its toll or is it the lack of recognizable opponents? I don't think blaming the venue really gets at the problem.

It's way more than that. There are factors that have nothing to do with the states love affair with UConn that play into it. Less entertainment dollars, entertainment options splintered in a million directions. 300 channel HD tvs at home. Internet. Everything. Times have changed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What happened to Hartford ,that place use to Rock.
I just think nobody is willing to pay money to see us play such bad teams. Heck, teams like East Carolina and Tulane are playing in Hartford. No doubt in my mind if we were in the Big 10 and Michigan State or Indiana were playing in Hartford, every game would be at least 85-90% full.
It's way more than that. There are factors that have nothing to do with the states love affair with UConn that play into it. Less entertainment dollars, entertainment options splintered in a million directions. 300 channel HD tvs at home. Internet. Everything. Times have changed.

Other reasons, that I think are important. In the 90s, UCONN was up and coming. The fan base was just starting to really build. There was energy and excitement. Tickets were cheap. The journey from 'The Shot' to "We shocked the world!" was electric, and all of CT was on board for the ride. Then UCONN just kept winning. Ticket prices rose. Expectations rose. Without being number 1, some weren't interested. Many lukewarm fans moved on to other things. The fervor died off. It's actually a pretty normal life cycle. But it gets compounded by being in CT, the land of suburbs and the Wine and Cheese crowd.

And in general, in the 90s, Hartford was more happening. The Whale was in town. UCONN was another draw. Things were kicking off.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I notice that many of Dham's misses are short, not sure why. It's too early in the season to blame it on being tired, we need him to break out of it soon.
He's been short arming those tweeners all year. I think it has to do with him fading back to avoid the bigger defender. My guess is that when he practices the shot he doesn't face opposition. He may have to put more height on his ball.

Reaction Score
Thankfully Georgetown isn't bringing Patrick Ewing and David Wingate with them Saturday.
I think a Carl Hobbs led UConn team actually beat Ewing at least once and gave a couple more away at the end. I remember we had the ball and the lead with seconds left and couldn't imbound the ball.
UConn was seldom blown out even in those games , the joke was ,Perno always figured out away to lose.
I was at a St Johns game in Hartford where their old Redman mascot and the Huskie got into an actual fight.
We blew a decent second half lead in that one after the tussle,
I remember the St John's faithful chanting "Where's the Puppy Now"a we faded in the last minutes.
As we exited ,crushed it was Huskie fan" low point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Other reasons, that I think are important. In the 90s, UCONN was up and coming. The fan base was just starting to really build. There was energy and excitement. Tickets were cheap. The journey from 'The Shot' to "We shocked the world!" was electric, and all of CT was on board for the ride. Then UCONN just kept winning. Ticket prices rose. Expectations rose. Without being number 1, some weren't interested. Many lukewarm fans moved on to other things. The fervor died off. It's actually a pretty normal life cycle. But it gets compounded by being in CT, the land of suburbs and the Wine and Cheese crowd.

And in general, in the 90s, Hartford was more happening. The Whale was in town. UCONN was another draw. Things were kicking off.
My friends and I faithfully attended many UConn games from their time in New Haven until we were priced out by the wine and cheese crowd. It was the happening thing. On Saturday games we would stop for big breakfast at the Diner off off 84 and Rte 10. Weekday games would be dinner usually in Hartford.
Those were great times even when we weren't that good.
Once you get out of the habit,it's difficult to recreate especially when your group breaks up for various reasons. My son was an unofficial member of the group from the time he was 10. Him and I would go occasionally until he moved to AZ. years before me.
He did get to see the famous Arizona game in Tuscon ,and some UConn NCAA games.
We're already planning to go to Tuscon if that game happens and this old Huskie is still able. But without my old buddies some of who are gone it's not the same.
Sorry I rambled but those were great times in Hartford ,especially being a part of our birth as a National Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom