Weekly Press Conference Tidbits (Tulane) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Weekly Press Conference Tidbits (Tulane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not a bad thing since he's been right a lot more than you guys have. You treat everyone with a difference of opinion than yours as an Enemy of the State.

Burning a redshirt on a promising offensive lineman in game 6 or beyond would be laughable.

Reaction Score
I don't understand. If Oak can play and is ready to contribute, why not play him? Burning a RS is out the window this year in every position. This coaching staff has said repeatedly that the best way to evaluate and improve is through game action. Will he struggle as a true FR? Probably. But I'd rather play FR than some of our upper classmen who clearly aren't getting the job done.
I mean we have nothing but young guys especially next year. The second half of the year you begin to shape what next year is going to look like and see what happens.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For Art to say others are attention seekers is hilarious. If you've had me blocked as long as you claim to have how would you know what I think about anything anyway?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
That a 270 lb true frosh OL looks ready to play now, is probably more of an indictment of the other guys coaches are seeing in practice right now. That guys like Rugg, and Nwokeji, can't get a sniff on an OL this bad really tells the story of how the OL recruiting fell of the map between P and the end of the Edsall era.

Ding.

270 lb Olinemen should not be playing. Don't care if they are coming on. If he hits 295 with more muscle than fat, then we can talk.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This isn't saying that Diaco isn't the answer or Diaco has no clue.

But: He clearly can't decide if he's playing to win in 2014 or if he's using 2014 to build for the future.

By not picking one or the other he is accomplishing neither.

If you can't see that I don't know how to help you.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That Oak may in fact at this moment be capable of outplaying Mateas at center speaks volumes of what was inherited in terms of offensive line play. Add to this the fact that is would be difficult to point out another offensive lineman who Mateas hasn't played better than. This just magnifies the fact that two true freshman were our backups guards from day one for no reasons other than two highly praised recruits (Shafenacker & Rugg) could not show enough to warrant placement on the two deep.

I hope to hell that we don't end up burning the redhirts for all of our offensive line recruits from this past class. I don't believe that praising Oak in a press conference means that Oak will see the field soon but if this could help solve at least some of our offensive line woes I imagine I could get over the number of burnt redshirts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If Oak has been taking reps at Center then he is, at best, 3rd string. My guess is that Coach Diaco is just commenting on the young man's ability and potential. I really don't think there is anything to see there.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Anyone else thing this means that Boyle sees a few more series at least?

desmondconner12:36pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on QB Tim Boyle: "He's going to be the QB of the future. He's going to be the QB in 2015 and 16. Want to get him in games now" #UCONN

UConnFootball12:37pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: Tim Boyle is going to be our QB in 2015 and 2016. He needs to play in meaninful snaps each game. #RiseUp

Nope - just saying what the Local UConn fans want to hear so as not to alienate anymore from attending games.

MattSchonvisky 12:37pm via Twitter Web Client
Unless he gets beat out, Tim will be our starting QB in '15 & '16 - Diaco

he is the QB of the future until the next one comes along...thats how it goes.

Reaction Score

But: He clearly can't decide if he's playing to win in 2014 or if he's using 2014 to build for the future.

Been saying the same thing for a while. I've stayed away bit because I don't want to sound so damn negative, but I see no reason for Kamal Abrams to be taking snaps away from Lemelle, Bradley, Noel Thomas, etc. Kamal is a nice story of perseverance, but at least in games he drops more passes than he catches. The three young kids have done some things in games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am having a little trouble reconciling what Coach is saying vs. the playing time he's been handing out:

desmondconner 12:36pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on QB Tim Boyle: "He's going to be the QB of the future. He's going to be the QB in 2015 and 16. Want to get him in games now" #UCONN

image.png

UConnFootball 12:37pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: Tim Boyle is going to be our QB in 2015 and 2016. He needs to play in meaninful snaps each game. #RiseUp
whaaat-i-dont-even.jpg

Unless he gets beat out...

Ohhh!

Reaction Score
Any questions regarding Knappe's health (leg) and what they've been working on the past week? Assuming he gets the whole game.

And if Boyle is healthy we can expect to see him more this week I guess. Is he healthy?

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I am having a little trouble reconciling what Coach is saying vs. the playing time he's been handing out:

desmondconner 12:36pm via TweetDeck

image.png

UConnFootball 12:37pm via TweetDeck
whaaat-i-dont-even.jpg

Unless he gets beat out...

Ohhh!

Yeah - he is a smooth operator. I bet he had all the lines for the ladies when he was single...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Any questions regarding Knappe's health (leg) and what they've been working on the past week? Assuming he gets the whole game.

No - HIPAA laws prevent Coach Diaco from commenting on player injuries...or we are hiding it for competitive advantage.

Reaction Score
From the tail end of a Fuller article/post:

>>He also said he'd like to continue to use multiple quarterbacks but how much he utilizes sophomore backup Tim Boyle will be determined by how he is feeling.

"Nothing too crazy," Boyle said of his lower-leg discomfort, "I am physically able to go but just some discomfort here and there.

"I'm very anxious, this discomfort has been there for a little bit. I am fighting through it, doing rehab. I can't wait to feel 100 percent and excited to get out there."<<

@Jimdish255 - most of the article is on Knappe. http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/10/uconns-knappe-staying-calm-in.html - Getting his first start Saturday.

Reaction Score
I didn't read it that way... he said he's coming on and looks like a guy who he can put into the game right now. Absent an injury...

More of positive reinforcement to Dan O - than a "I'm playing him". Never no I guess.

That's how I read it as well, but given Diaco's proclivity for strange decisions I don't know what to think . . .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:

Given where we are BD's decision is becoming more prudent. Two weeks ago it was absolutely wrong, but given that he thinks Boyle isn't quite ready to take the reins (I agree) or the beating (ditto) it makes sense to give him some time assuming he is healthy (don't think he is).

It's the idea that he is some sort of savior is really what bothers me. He's not good enough to win the job (says something, something not good) and I understand BD saying he's the starter beyond this year (keeps him with the program) but I personally am not expecting much at this point from guys who can't compete on this team for starting spots outside true freshmen.

I am sure a few will click as upperclassmen, maybe Boyle is one, but I'm looking to over recruit every position on offense plus LB on the defensive side.

We have reached show me time, for everyone associated with the program from player to coach to AD. BD has a pretty short leash next season fair or not if we don't show a lot of improvement to end the season. A <3 win season followed up by another non bowl season just isn't going to be tolerated.

Warde's fate is tied to Diaco's success. We are not asking for conference championships, though we should. We are simply asking to not be embarrassed to support this team. Right now I feel embarrassed.

Reaction Score
Nope - just saying what the Local UConn fans want to hear so as not to alienate anymore from attending games.

Unless he gets beat out, Tim will be our starting QB in '15 & '16 - Diaco

he is the QB of the future until the next one comes along...thats how it goes.

Unless I get beat out, I will be the starting QB in 2015.

Reaction Score
Ding.

270 lb Olinemen should not be playing. Don't care if they are coming on. If he hits 295 with more muscle than fat, then we can talk.
I didn't think those weights on the roster were truly updated witht he underclassmen....

Reaction Score
I didn't think those weights on the roster were truly updated witht he underclassmen....

They've only been on campus since July. Not sure how much more up to date we can expect.

Reaction Score
They're not, but if facts are a prerequisite for commenting here, we will all start hearing crickets

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing on your last point...replacing Mateas, team captain, might send a mixed message. Maybe they will shift him to G? Tough to put a true FR in at C unless they are absolutely desperate.

No, we have 2 frosh at OG, and there is no reason to play Oak unless we absolutely need him.

While the vitriol spills here, does anyone here have a clue why Oak's name came up or in what context HCBD made reference to him. I don't imagine it was Newsome will get more carries and, oh by the way, Dan Oak looks ready to play. While folks are wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth at the prosepct of a red shirt being burned (because you can't RS after the freshman year :rolleyes:), do you have any idea what it is you are arguing about?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No, we have 2 frosh at OG, and there is no reason to play Oak unless we absolutely need him.

While the vitriol spills here, does anyone here have a clue why Oak's name came up or in what context HCBD made reference to him. I don't imagine it was Newsome will get more carries and, oh by the way, Dan Oak looks ready to play. While folks are wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth at the prosepct of a red shirt being burned (because you can't RS after the freshman year :rolleyes:), do you have any idea what it is you are arguing about?

image.png

LOUD NOISES!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member