Week of 1/1/24 Other Games | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Week of 1/1/24 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
yes im disgusted with myself that i know this much about tulane's basketball program, hopefully it all exits my brain in the years to come.
Apparently everything else has so I think it's safe to believe you'll get your wish.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gonzaga made a run to take the lead, but they just aren't very good.

I like the Thursday night West Coast games. The WCC and Big West games are fun, but College basketball is going to lose something when the Pac 12 games just become random matchups.

Reaction Score
Dausters recent podcast laid out defensive numbers pre/post clingan injury.
We were somewhere near the top 10 with DC (despite him being on min limits, and despite not having castle).
But we are 120+ without DC (maybe he said 132?).

I think if we take the numbers after he comes back, with he and castle in the lineup at full strength, we will be comfortably in the top 10 in both.
On Bart Torvik’s site, we were 5th overall before Seton Hall. 3rd on offense, 32nd on defense

IMG_4184.jpeg

From Seton Hall on? 36th overall, 17th on offense, 130th on defense.

IMG_4185.jpeg

Keep finding ways to eek out wins without him, and get him healthy for March. Our ceiling is the highest of anyone when healthy.

Reaction Score
Wow, I picked a bad time to stop watching then lol
They were great against Arizona, in fact both teams were great that night. I saw some of the Tulane game, and they didn’t look like the same group.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga screwed that one up pretty good. I don't particularly like then so I'm good with it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That was some serious two way choking by Santa Clara and Gonzaga. The team that had the ball last was going to lose.

Reaction Score
Mick Cronin might be cooked in LA, I'm sure him botching Peyton Watson's freshman year did him no favors in the LA recruiting scene either

Reaction Score
Mick Cronin might be cooked in LA, I'm sure him botching Peyton Watson's freshman year did him no favors in the LA recruiting scene either
He’s been the most Successful UCLA coach in how long? 1 year is really that damning?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He’s been the most Successful UCLA coach in how long? 1 year is really that damning?
Other than the final 4 run in the year they barely made the tournament, Alford had similar results. Mick is also crapping the bed on the media relations /accountability side of having a season like this.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga and Santa Clara playing a great game.
Top-four of WCC is very good.

Going into the season, I though Saint Mary’s was the best team in the conference, but it could honestly end up being any of Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s, Santa Clara and San Francisco.

Personally, San Francisco is my favorite to watch. Jonathan Mogbo is a treat: was 6’0 as a 16 year old and is now a 6’9 225 beast.

Reaction Score
Tonight, Fairfield tries to make it nine wins in a row visiting Niagara.

Interim head coach Chris Casey is my pick for MAAC Coach of the Year. The program was sputtering after Jay Young and an offseason incident led to Young’s resignation. Ended up the best for the program.

Reaction Score
Other than the final 4 run in the year they barely made the tournament, Alford had similar results. Mick is also crapping the bed on the media relations /accountability side of having a season like this.
2 sweet 16s as well. He’s been good at UCLA. He’s always been a media nightmare . They knew that when they hired him

Reaction Score
I said at the time that Gonzaga win was not going to be worth very much come Selection Sunday and, well...

We have basically one signature win that still looks impressive (UNC), but the rest you're kind of squinting to convince yourself that they matter. Texas and Gonzaga are down in the 40's in NET (i.e. barely Quad 1 as neutral site wins). Indiana is below 100.

Xavier and Butler are Quad 1 road wins, but in the 50-60 range, so not really impressing anyone.

The Marquette and Creighton games are going to matter. A #1 seed probably requires winning 3 out of the 4-5 expected matchups against them, especially with both of them falling off lately.

Reaction Score

Interim head coach Chris Casey is my pick for MAAC Coach of the Year. The program was sputtering after Jay Young and an offseason incident led to Young’s resignation. Ended up the best for the program.

I love your enthusiasm for college basketball. I don't know how you have the time to know this much stuff but I dig it.

Reaction Score

I hope Fairfield can make the NCAAT. I like seeing other Connecticut teams in the NCAAT. Remember this guy, Brycen Goodine? He dropped 40 points in one game and is their leading scorer. He was a transfer from Providence. I could never imagine him being the top dog on a team and scoring 40 points in a game. I don't think he scored 40 points in his entire career at Providence.

Reaction Score
2 sweet 16s as well. He’s been good at UCLA. He’s always been a media nightmare . They knew that when they hired him.
Still just as weird of a fit now as when they hired him. Very curious to see how he rebounds from this, especially with their move to the BIG. I foresee a lot of mediocrity in his future.

Reaction Score
I hope Fairfield can make the NCAAT. I like seeing other Connecticut teams in the NCAAT. Remember this guy, Brycen Goodine? He dropped 40 points in one game and is their leading scorer. He was a transfer from Providence. I could never imagine him being the top dog on a team and scoring 40 points in a game. I don't think he scored 40 points in his entire career at Providence.

Goodine was also at Syracuse before Providence.

In his fifth season of college basketball, he's finally healthy. He's never played more than 23 games in a season. Happy for him.

Another fun fact about Fairfield:

I've always thought of the MAAC as a guard-based league and Fairfield has four guards playing starter's minutes, which of which start.

I highly recommend catching a Fairfield game. Their new arena is beautiful and it has a big arena feel despite a small capacity. This season, I've had the pleasure and privilege covering two games there.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
2 sweet 16s as well. He’s been good at UCLA. He’s always been a media nightmare . They knew that when they hired him
Alford had 3 sweet 16s, 1 missed tournament and was fired mid year after a bad start. But yeah, they didn’t even want mick. That coaching search was a disaster.

Reaction Score
Mock Cronin is not long for UCLA. Should've stayed at Cincy.
They were a 2 Seed and in the Sweet 16 last year and probably an injury away from playing us in the E8. They were a 4 seed in the Sweet 16 the year before that. And they were in the Final Four the year before that.

It's possible the UCLA boosters and press are sick of Cronin's curmudgeonly behavior, or that he'll leave because of their lack of NIL, but the man has been successful there multiple years in a row. If his team sucks next year, well, then we'll see.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
They were a 2 Seed and in the Sweet 16 last year and probably an injury away from playing us in the E8. They were a 4 seed in the Sweet 16 the year before that. And they were in the Final Four the year before that.

It's possible the UCLA boosters and press are sick of Cronin's curmudgeonly behavior, or that he'll leave because of their lack of NIL, but the man has been successful there multiple years in a row. If his team sucks next year, well, then we'll see.
Ben Howland made Final Fours all the time at UCLA and got shown the door. They want Wooden or nothing

Reaction Score
Ben Howland made Final Fours all the time at UCLA and got shown the door. They want Wooden or nothing
He got fired five years after his last Final Four or Sweet 16 and there were issues he was having off court that (unless there's more going on with Cronin) were fairly problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom