Week 4 preview (Nov. 29–Dec. 5) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 4 preview (Nov. 29–Dec. 5)

Reaction Score
After trailing 12-2 in the first, the Jacks settle down and defeat Weber State 83-79.

Great team victory punctuated late in the 4th by a monster block by Emily Rodabaugh.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, so I watched all the games last night and was looking forward to a certain ACC fan who's team had a signature win and huge statement made last night during the 9 PM slot, yet NOTHING!

I mean come on, has anyone checked in on @triaddukefan ? Yes, Iowa was coming off a Covid 2 week hiatus and only had practiced 2 days (Tuesday was their 1st time together) and the rust clearly showed as many easy shots were missed, bad timing on passing and Caitlin Clark forced far too many wild shots, but still Duke looked pretty cohesive on offense and defense. I was impressed and especially with the freshman guard who decommitted from Syracuse. Still a bit sad on the lack of fan support there but maybe @CamrnCrz1974 can shed insight into those efforts. Congrats Duke and ACC fans, one heck of a showing. Wait, there has been a Triad siting-
Happy Well Done GIF

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok, so I watched all the games last night and was looking forward to a certain ACC fan who's team had a signature win and huge statement made last night during the 9 PM slot, yet NOTHING!

I mean come on, has anyone checked in on @triaddukefan ? Yes, Iowa was coming off a Covid 2 week hiatus and only had practiced 2 days (Tuesday was their 1st time together) and the rust clearly showed as many easy shots were missed, bad timing on passing and Caitlin Clark forced far too many wild shots, but still Duke looked pretty cohesive on offense and defense. I was impressed and especially with the freshman guard who decommitted from Syracuse. Still a bit sad on the lack of fan support there but maybe @CamrnCrz1974 can shed insight into those efforts. Congrats Duke and ACC fans, one heck of a showing. Wait, there has been a Triad siting-
Happy Well Done GIF

I mentioned a few months ago when they announced the tipoff time that 9pm was too late for a East Coast tip on a weeknight, and that it would lower the attendance. That being said, not sure how it came across on TV, but it was loud and alive in the building. Others in attendance said it was the most raucous its been in several years... and that the student turnout was tremendous. Definitely the most students I've seen since the first Duke-UNC game in Jan 2018. Just wait until the ACC season starts... I expect attendance to really take off.... especially for the Sunday games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In a match up between former MEAC and current MEAC... The 0-7 NCA&T aggies host the 0-6 SC State Bulldogs. It's the north carolina HBCU land grant vs the south carolina HBCU land grant.. And both schools have bulldogs as mascots. I don't have to tell yall what that means. Game time is 2pm Est on Espn +.

Reaction Score
Sat., Dec. 4
Mississippi State at Oklahoma (3p, no TV?!). Big 12/SEC Challenge.
Seeing this game on my cable guide as being on Bally Sports South so check your Bally regional channels for available viewing in your area. Otherwise, I ssume it will be online on ESPN+.

Reaction Score
Seeing this game on my cable guide as being on Bally Sports South so check your Bally regional channels for available viewing in your area. Otherwise, I ssume it will be online on ESPN+.
Not on ESPN+

Reaction Score
MSU providing online viewing link to Bally Sports.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So I'm just now learning that the "Bally" sports channels are the new name for the Fox regional sports networks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Big South is off to a great afternoon, although at the expense of a few of my rooting interests. In a major upset.. Winthrop gets its first win of the season 71-55 over the mighty Catamounts of Western Carolina. The game was 57-51 midway through the 4th quarter, but the eagles went on a 14-4 run to end the game. SC-Upstate shocks Powerful UNC-G in a 57-46 final. If there is any team in the country that struggles to score more than My Spartans.... I havent seen them. :oops: In some canine on canine action... the Aggies of NCA&T mollywop the Bulldogs of SCSU 86-46. The Aggies pick up their first win of the season, the Bulldogs remain winless. In a bit of useless trivia. Audra Smith formerly the head coach at Clemson, is now the coach at SCSU. Has to be the first coach to ever coach both the Land Grant Institution and the HBCU Land Grant in the same state.

Later action include the battle of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel... the snooty elitists of Hampton battle the public school for the regular people Norfolk State. And last but not least.. this evening.. the Holy War between High Point and Liberty tips off at 7.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Later action include the battle of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel... the snooty elitists of Hampton battle the public school for the regular people Norfolk State.
I have no idea about either of these schools, but that is hilarious.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Horizon is gonna be halfway thru their conference schedule by Christmas. Okay, maybe not quite. A bunch of conference games today, that's 4 already for most of them. Weird.

Reaction Score
Some observations from the far flung corners of the world.

1. Wright State - It has been jarring to watch a team that upset Arkansas in the tournament last year start out the season 0-7 -- despite returning 3 of their top four scorers. Angel Baker's transfer to Ole Miss was a huge loss for this team in the offseason -- and Wright State did forfeit two games to add to their current tally of losses.

2. Central Florida - Since a loss to Tennessee, Central Florida has been racking up some wins of questionable quality -- but they are serving notice to the American by beating the likes of Southern California, Belmont, and perhaps most impressively, Arkansas. Central Florida is now 6-1, and marching onwards towards marquee matchups against Iowa and Princeton in the next few weeks.

3. UMass - Sam Breen and Sydney Taylor have formed a potent duo for the Minutewomen as they've quietly impressed -- even putting a scare into the mighty Cyclones of Iowa State -- they were within a point with under 3 minutes to go. A win over traditional, albeit weakened power, South Dakota State has UMass among a plethora of early contenders for an A-10 Title.

4. Brigham Young University - The Cougars have put together what is perhaps the best resume thus far for a non-P5 team. BYU edged out wins over West Virginia, Florida State, and beat Arizona State. The team will really be tested in coming weeks against Oklahoma and Washington State -- so room for the team to pick up more quality tourney worthy wins if they somehow lose the WCC Tournament.

In any case, much more fun to be had this weekend and this season!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no idea about either of these schools, but that is hilarious.

Oh yeah... former foes in the MEAC... before Hampton left to join the Big South a few years ago. Campuses probably separated by 15-20 miles. Hampton has long been known as the HBCU for uppity blacks who wanted a co-ed experience. The uppity females who wanted to attend an all-female HBCU.... went to Spelman. I knew quite a few people who went to Hampton...... and yep.. they were uppity. Knew a few females who went to Spelman... dated a few Spelman girls. All were uppity... well all except for one.

<---------- trying to help educate the boneyard since 2018 :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
2. Central Florida - Since a loss to Tennessee, Central Florida has been racking up some wins of questionable quality -- but they are serving notice to the American by beating the likes of Southern California, Belmont, and perhaps most impressively, Arkansas. Central Florida is now 6-1, and marching onwards towards marquee matchups against Iowa and Princeton in the next few weeks.

In any case, much more fun to be had this weekend and this season!

That Iowa-UCF game is gonna be interesting to watch. Talk about a contrast in styles and philosophy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
4. Brigham Young University - The Cougars have put together what is perhaps the best resume thus far for a non-P5 team. BYU edged out wins over West Virginia, Florida State, and beat Arizona State. The team will really be tested in coming weeks against Oklahoma and Washington State -- so room for the team to pick up more quality tourney worthy wins if they somehow lose the WCC Tournament.
While my expectations for Utah were lowered quite a bit after they got thumped by Gonzaga, Utah-BYU could still be an interesting grudge match. That's today.

Reaction Score
Bally bought the old Fox regional sports networks I believe. They have an app for online viewing.

Reaction Score
Wow Okla blows the doors off Miss St.
94-63

New coach making a big difference at OU, or a neg diff at Miss St, or …. ?

For MSU, Anastasia Hayes (the senior/Tenn one) had 21 pts. Aislyn had 0. Alasia (the ND one) didn’t play.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma has really been off to a good start. I'd give them a pass on the Oregon loss because Oregon was actually healthy for that one with Pao Pao and Sabally both playing.

Oklahoma last season started 4-7, with losses to Houston, Georgia, Kansas, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Baylor. They beat mighty Texas State, South Dakota, Arkansas Pine Bluff, and Texas Tech. Compare that to this season's 7-1 start, with the only loss to Oregon. They've beaten Buffalo, Minnesota, Mississippi State, and South Dakota. It's hard to read too much into the start, but they are definitely off to a good start -- just remains to be seen how good they will be this year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
BYU withstood a furious rally by Utah, held on 85-80. Were up by 15 in Q4 and lead got all the way down to 3. Big game for Harding, 33. Gonzales chipped in 22. Kneepkens, Fr. for Utah w/ 29.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow Okla blows the doors off Miss St.
94-63

New coach making a big difference at OU, or a neg diff at Miss St, or …. ?
Jennie Baranczyk showed at Drake that she is a great offensive coach and she's continuing to show it at Oklahoma. She has some solid, experienced players (Llanusa, Robertson, Williams ...) to work with, and they have taken quickly to her system. It's a noticeable uptick from the past few years (although to be fair, Coale had them trending up toward the end of last season and they narrowly missed the NCAAT).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom