Week 3 - game thread | The Boneyard

Week 3 - game thread

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ugh - wish we had real games last night - these dry thursdays are tough.

Some games that interest me beyond UConn visiting Michigan. Guess I found 16 others that interest me.

1) Miami at Texas A&M - So much here; midnight yell vids are beyond bizarre, tyler van dyke!, pressure on jimbo, battle of the two biggest NIL programs.
2) Purdue at Syracuse - Sorry UConn nation - I am intrigued by what the Orange have done the first two weeks. I am curious where they go this year.
3) Texas Tech at NC State. Whoa - TT playing a game in the EST, in humid conditions. NC with high expectations on the season and TT venturing to the eastern time zone makes this an interest game. Plus we visit NC State next week, so this is near must watch.
4) Cal at ND - Tremendous pressure on the Irish here...can't help but want to look in. Plus, CT native Drew Pyne gets the start at QB. Cal surprisingly 2-0.
5) Penn St at Auburn - Both 2 and 0, rare opportunity to see a B1G vs SEC clash outside of a bowl.
6) BYU at Oregon - Does BYU punch through to another level with a win on the road? Oregon will desperate every weekend from now until B1G accepts them...which may never happen.
7) Kansas at Houston - Leipold alert game - a win here and Leipold moves higher on the coaching radar. Meanwhile P6 commish Aresco needs convincing win.
8) USTA at Texas - What are the chances Texas lays an egg here after last week's effort? USTA is a bit dangerous.
9) Maine at BC - Two winless teams collide...can BC turn it around?- offense has been putrid.
10) Michigan St at Washington - Every Pac game vs the P2 is a blood game now.
11) Miss St at LSU - IDK, could be interesting - but I don't really care what happens here just yet. Kelly is in his honeymoon still and its too early to think too much about Miss St. That said, I suppose the actual game could be interesting.
12) Stony Brook at UMass - What are the odds here? One site I see has UMass +2.5. Both teams are winless.
13) SMU at Maryland - The American conf wants this win bad.
14) Fresno St at USC - Just continue to be curious about future opponent Fresno St.
15) Florida St at Louisville - Clash of the athlete no show/no books athlete schools. Could be good- I guess.
16) Rutgers at Temple - No plans to watch this, but I will check the box score. Can't help but take interest in the northeast FBS schools.

Reaction Score
Syracuse will be the surprise team of the ACC this season.

If you think it can’t get worse for UConn then take a closer look at UMass this season. Utah State would have put 50-60 on them.

Texas A&M has a real chance to go 1-4 or so to start the year. Their offense has the players but they don’t have the system. How can they handle Miami when they couldn’t overpower App State?

Reaction Score

If you think it can’t get worse for UConn then take a closer look at UMass this season. Utah State would have put 50-60 on them.

Texas A&M has a real chance to go 1-4 or so to start the year. Their offense has the players but they don’t have the system. How can they handle Miami when they couldn’t overpower App State?
Especially with Cristobal as coach at Miami. Dude just straight up can coach any team to a win.

Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to the continuing debacles at Iowa and Nebraska.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Add...

Oklahoma at Nebraska: it feels like one of those weird games where somehow Nebraska finds a way to win. Coach gone....noon start....home game. Probably not....but would be fun to see

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Add...

Oklahoma at Nebraska: it feels like one of those weird games where somehow Nebraska finds a way to win. Coach gone....noon start....home game. Probably not....but would be fun to see
Yeah, got to keep an eye on this one, the Nebraska saga has not yet hit a lull.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The officiating at the end of Indiana/WKU is about what you would expect when a Big 10 team is on the ropes. Two dodgy PI calls and then a facemask on WKU that happened long after the play should have been blown dead. Indiana scores a TD and gets the 2 point conversion (where the refs threw a flag just in case the IU receiver dropped the pass).

This kind of officiating doesn't happen in P5 vs. P5, and it makes the sport look bad.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ending of Syracuse game was crazy. Crazy penalties - crazy catches. Crazy QB play.

Seems Syracuse is decent- but I think this game took a bit of air out of their momentum despite the amazing come from behind desperation win.

Reaction Score
Purdue took the lead, got penalized and kicked off from their own 10. Syracuse scored a TD, more penalties on Purdue and Syracuse kicked off from the Purdue 35. Insanity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU looks a little over-amped for this game against Oregon. This could turn into an Oregon romp if BYU doesn’t settle down.

Reaction Score

The UMass QB isn’t that bad, but their defense is worse than UConn’s by quite a margin.

Reaction Score
The end of the Syracuse game:
4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties
1 ejection
1 defensive holding
1 pass interference
1 completed pass

Syracuse wins. Schrader should've had a pick but #17 (who was the ejection) on Purdue dropped it after a terrible ball thrown behind a crossing route. He completed the one that he needed though. The final drive had everything, there was an overturned play on replay, the penalties were pretty clear penalties (on the interference call the Syracuse WR had a dislocated or separated shoulder), so it wasn't the officials. Purdue simply killed themselves (and the unsporstmanlike penalty called on the coach was the most egregious one, simply inexcusable and pretty much guaranteed Syracuse the ball at midfield); they scored the "winning" TD. Couldn't shut-up. Got the sealing interception; couldn't hold on and ultimately couldn't make the final cover for what was the real winning score.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What happened to Syracuse in the first half? How was Purdue stopping them so easy?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What happened to Syracuse in the first half? How was Purdue stopping them so easy?
I looked in from time to time- seemed like the Syracuse running game was contained and Purdue DL and DBs were disruptive all game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Kansas climbs back in quickly to tie it at 14; game now in a weather delay.

Reaction Score
The end of the Syracuse game:
4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties
1 ejection
1 defensive holding
1 pass interference
1 completed pass

Syracuse wins. Schrader should've had a pick but #17 (who was the ejection) on Purdue dropped it after a terrible ball thrown behind a crossing route. He completed the one that he needed though. The final drive had everything, there was an overturned play on replay, the penalties were pretty clear penalties (on the interference call the Syracuse WR had a dislocated or separated shoulder), so it wasn't the officials. Purdue simply killed themselves (and the unsporstmanlike penalty called on the coach was the most egregious one, simply inexcusable and pretty much guaranteed Syracuse the ball at midfield); they scored the "winning" TD. Couldn't shut-up. Got the sealing interception; couldn't hold on and ultimately couldn't make the final cover for what was the real winning score.
Purdue deserved to lose- unbelievably dumb penalties by players. So often everyone blames the coach for poor outcomes. In this case -the players collectively gave away a sure Purdue win to Syracuse

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big 10 dodged some bullets late in some of these games:

Refs gift Indiana a win over WKU.
Rutgers hangs on against Temple
UCLA pulls out a 32-31 win over South Alabama

Reaction Score
The big question is how can Missouri state field a team that can be leading Arkansas at the half
You know we couldn’t do that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So Pitt's on their 3rd string QB to start tonight as both 1 & 2 injured last week. So far he's 3 for 3, 78 yards - all deeper routes, really nice touch and accuracy. Even had a 3rd and 18 and completed for 19.

Kid's name is Nate Yarnell. 3-star, 152nd rated QB in TX. 1036th rated QB nationally.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom