Week 18 - March 4 to 11 (conf standings, NET, conf tourney games) | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Week 18 - March 4 to 11 (conf standings, NET, conf tourney games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In the Big South Conference Final, Presbyterian College advances to its first NCAA tournament in school history (men's and women's) with a rout of Radford 60-37. Down 4 players to season ending injuries, the Blue Hose accomplished what the critics say couldn't be done.

My Blue Hose

pc.jpeg

Reaction Score
Talk about a misrepresentation of what happened.

She was called for the intentional foul on Fulwiley. She didn't "drag her down" since Fulwiley never fell to the ground. The contact with Watkins was a mutual bump, didn't see a shove either way.
And the intentional foul caused a stop in play. Watkins and Johnson were chirping during the stoppage. From what I saw, I thought Johnson did make a move to get Watkins out of her way in response to Watkins bumping her.

The refs opted not to penalize either one of them, but they could have if they wanted to if you ask me. At the same time, a lot of this could have been prevented if the referees were more involved in nipping this earlier in the game. There was a lot of bumping that could have been called or players getting a warning well before this debacle.

Reaction Score
Since you are all about cherry picking results, Nova beat Wake Forest by 9. The same team who went 2-16 in conference and 7-25 overall. Care to comment?
Wake Forest is the best 7-25 team in history.
Ouch, what did Wake do to deserve this except have a pretty poor women's basketball team?:(

Reaction Score
Then what did she do? Because pulling a player down intentionally and pushing another doesn't make it seem like she was interested in any peace offerings.
You're exaggerating what happened. Yes she pulled the jersey and prevented her from a clear path. Fulwiley never went down on the play.

Watkins didn't seem interested in being the better person and not getting into a jawing match. Let's not omit that action before Johnson's push. Neither team can say their hands are clean in this.

Reaction Score
What a crazy display between LSU and South Carolina. Hair pulling, shoving and elbows. I’m not a pearl-clutching fan usually but if people thought the Reese’s shenanigans last year in the championship game were embarrassing, this was certainly an order of magnitude worse.

Of course Mulkey is not apologetic at all.

Reaction Score
You're exaggerating what happened. Yes she pulled the jersey and prevented her from a clear path. Fulwiley never went down on the play.

Watkins didn't seem interested in being the better person and not getting into a jawing match. Let's not omit that action before Johnson's push. Neither team can say their hands are clean in this.
I don't think anyone particularly cares whether their hands were completely clean in it.

LSU wanted a certain game and they got it.

The officials could have stopped it but they weren't to be bothered.

I agree 100% with Mulkey on that at least.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This...is wild! On brand for Mulkey, however.
Indeed. As if to nail the hammer in the coffin, tonight's appalling behavior only cements my assessment from a few months ago:

With the exception of Muffet McGraw, I actually can't think of a coach who's made more headlines for "controversy" in the past decade than Kim. Think Brittney Griner's coming out after college. Think her bizarre remarks on Baylor's sexual assault scandal. Think Kim's silence about Griner's captivity in Russia. Think Kim's stonewalling about Reese's absence. Think her jackets and her jacket tossing. Love her or not, there's no one more controversial in WCBB.

Reaction Score
I know ND lost Watson to injury yesterday, but why is NC State playing only 6 today.
That’s what State does. Laci Steele and Maddy Cox are the 7 and 8 players in the rotation but in big games Wes has proven to only play them when fouls are an issue or injuries or for very few spot minutes. For better or worse that’s been the formula.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone particular cares whether their hands were completely clean in it.

LSU wanted a certain game and they got it.

The officials could have stopped it but they weren't to be bothered.

I agree 100% Mulkey on that at least.
Said the same about the refs in a separate post. Could have been nipped in the bud early in the game. That tweet of Cardoso and Reese bumping in the paint is being celebrated when that was the first indication of when the refs should have gotten involved.

Reaction Score
Wow Oregon has PLUMMETED as a program since Sabrina left.
It was always way more than just Sabrina. Maite Cazorla at the other guard, a WNBA draft choice and now a star of the Spanish national team. Satou Sabally, the unicorn, of course and Ruthie Hebert, leading the nation in FG percentage, #2 in Oregon career scoring, #3 in career rebounding. Overlooked sometimes is deadeye sniper Erin Boley, a serious 3 point threat with a .426 career pct. Those teams could shoot… always at or near the top in 3 pt pct and FG pct. This season’s team could not. Pretty simple. Curable? We’ll see.

Reaction Score
The most contentious team-team issues in recent years I can think of

• SoCar vs LSU
  • SoCar vs Mizzou

Hmm. Interesting,

Reaction Score
There is. Teams/people come at the #1 program loaded for bear and all amped up most games. Comes with the territory I suppose, but most fans wouldn't have much reason to know this.

True I can recall all the altercations that Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, and UConn have had over the last 30 years.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
True I can recall all the altercations that Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, and UConn have had over the last 30 years.
Yeah, when folks have been accusing us of being "nice girls from Stanford" for the past three decades, what they actually meant is that we're worse than pit bulls crossed with WWE wrestlers. ;)

There is. Teams/people come at the #1 program loaded for bear and all amped up most games. Comes with the territory I suppose, but most fans wouldn't have much reason to know this.
Boy do I know it. When Stanford was coming loaded to bear against #1 SCAR in 2021, we were so amped up that Haley Jones and Fran Belibi charged at Boston after her miss, even after the play was dead. Talk about excessive contact!:
Womens Basketball Hug GIF by NCAA Championships

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member