Week 15 games (Mar. 1-7) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 15 games (Mar. 1-7)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
KY in a battle with Fla and Ore trailing OreSt again
Oregon, after seeming to start the season very strong (some people saw them as a potential Final Four team), has been fading hard.

Kentucky never can beat the scrubs easily.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In what will be one of the biggest upsets in the Conference tournament season...... in the SoCon... Last Place ETSU (1-10) defeats First Place and defending Conference Champs Samford (11-2) 68-61 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the second SoCon game of the day Wofford is leading UNC-G (my spartans) 41-21 at the half.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm under the impression that Plebe doesn't think much of the ACC... I could be wrong.

Well, at least DePaul actually has a good nonconference win. And I'd rather see Marquette make the tournament than any of those other fat-on-the-hog over-budgeted teams.

Which is better.... Depaul's victory over Kentucky... or Wake's victory over Missouri State?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
In what will be one of the biggest upsets in the Conference tournament season...... in the SoCon... Last Place ETSU (1-10) defeats First Place and defending Conference Champs Samford (11-2) 68-61 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the second SoCon game of the day Wofford is leading UNC-G (my spartans) 41-21 at the half.
Just goes to show you can't overlook anyone when it comes to a one and done tournament.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm under the impression that Plebe doesn't think much of the ACC... I could be wrong.

Which is better.... Depaul's victory over Kentucky... or Wake's victory over Missouri State?
Ha, somehow I forgot about Wake Forest. Funny how that seems to always happen :cool:

But I'm glad someone's passing the attention test

Edit to add: But given a choice I would much rather see Wake make the tourney than Notre Dame.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Seeing that Wake is from a P5 Conference and beats a Mid Major, I would say the Mid Major over a ranked P5 is better. So I say DePaul over Kentucky is better.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Going back and watching the last few minutes of the ETSU-Samford game... ETSU's roster consists of a Mykia, a Kaia, a Shynia, a Amaya, and a Jakhyia :confused:

Just goes to show you can't overlook anyone when it comes to a one and done tournament.

That's one of the reasons I prefer watching these one bid league mid-major tournaments, the #1 seed in a bigger conference is still assured of a NCAA bid if they get upset... but in this type of tournament.. the whole season is on the line as a #1 seed. The Samford team/bench looked stunned at the end as they retreated back to the locker room. They had beat ETSU by 20 just a few weeks ago. Pure joy and jubilation on the other end of the court.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

There is a reason this time of year is referred to as March Madness.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I guess that means Mercer now the heavy favorite to win the Southern Conference. Would be good to see Suzy Gardner get another chance at an NCAAT.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Going back and watching the last few minutes of the ETSU-Samford game... ETSU's roster consists of a Mykia, a Kaia, a Shynia, a Amaya, and a Jakhyia :confused:

That's one of the reasons I prefer watching these one bid league mid-major tournaments, the #1 seed in a bigger conference is still assured of a NCAA bid if they get upset... but in this type of tournament.. the whole season is on the line as a #1 seed. The Samford team/bench looked stunned at the end as they retreated back to the locker room. They had beat ETSU by 20 just a few weeks ago.
I would rather see a mid major who won their regular season conference get in the tourney over a team that finished eighth or ninth in their conference. The NCAA only cares about the P5 conference when it comes to seeding. I believe that in any conference the max that can go to the tournament is 6 or 7 no more, and no team can participate if they have a losing record in conference play, unless they win the conference tournament.

Reaction Score
Oregon, after seeming to start the season very strong (some people saw them as a potential Final Four team), has been fading hard.
Downside of a frosh-heavy team, esp in this year, perhaps?
Thankfully UConn has been able to avoid that, so far.

Reaction Score
15-3 CSU Rams travel to NM to face the 13 - 3 wandering Lobos, home at last with first place in the Mountain West at stake.

This afternoon's game is at 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time on the Mountain West network. Tomorrow's regular season finale and perhaps deciding game for the regular season championship will also be at 5:00 p.m.

Colorado State Rams running Arizona State offense. Trailing Lobos 18-9 at the end of first quarter.

Reaction Score
Stanford taking USC to the woodshed. 43-16 at half.
Stanford is playing so well, talented, deep, deep, versatile bench. Toughest out in NCAA Tournament.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well the NC based SoCon schools are out on the first day... My Spartans of UNCG fell at the hands of the fierce Terriers of Wofford, 78-66. My Catamounts of Western Carolina have their season end at the hands of the Mercer Bears 76-67.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
LSU d Miss St, so even more disappointment in Starkvegas

MD pounded Michigan 88-63 (led by 20 at half), so Wolverines ending up in top 16 not looking good

UNC bubble probably popped with loss to Wake

Reaction Score
Colorado State Rams running Arizona State offense. Trailing Lobos 18-9 at the end of first quarter.
Lobos win by 13. Winner of tomorrow's game is regular season champ.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Many interesting games today. My top 2 picks (which I've marked in dark red in the header post) are:
  • Ohio State–Rutgers. Amazingly, this is only Rutgers' second home game vs. a NET top 50 opponent (the first was their loss to Maryland). A great chance for the Knights to bolster their resume.
  • Arizona–UCLA. A top-11 night-cap matchup in the Pac-12 semifinals.
It's quarterfinal day in both the ACC and SEC tournaments. A few teams are playing for their bubble lives:
  • Ole Miss. Yes, you heard that right. Now with two wins over Kentucky and a win over Arkansas, Ole Miss is definitely in the conversation. An upset win over Tennessee, I dare say, would secure an at-large bid.
  • Wake Forest. Currently Creme's next-to-last team in, the Demon Deacons could really use an upset over Louisville today to guarantee themselves a spot.
Question about LSU: Did the NCAA, in view of the COVID-shortened schedule, soften or waive its usual requirement of a minimum .500 winning percentage to be tournament-eligible? LSU is now 9-12 overall, but Creme has them among "next four out."

Reaction Score
Question about LSU: Did the NCAA, in view of the COVID-shortened schedule, soften or waive its usual requirement of a minimum .500 winning percentage to be tournament-eligible? LSU is now 9-12 overall, but Creme has them among "next four out."

Ahhhhh, you are correct.

To provide ultimate flexibility for teams due to COVID-19, the committee also announced that for the 2020-21 academic year, it would waive the .500 rule, which normally requires teams to have overall won-lost records of .500 or better to be considered for an at-large selection. This is in keeping with the NCAA Competition Oversight Committee recommendation for all fall and winter sports.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ahhhhh, you are correct.

To provide ultimate flexibility for teams due to COVID-19, the committee also announced that for the 2020-21 academic year, it would waive the .500 rule, which normally requires teams to have overall won-lost records of .500 or better to be considered for an at-large selection. This is in keeping with the NCAA Competition Oversight Committee recommendation for all fall and winter sports.
Just another excuse for the NCAA to add more P5 schools to the DANCE. There is no way they would add a Mid Major with a losing record, only a P5.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ahhhhh, you are correct.

Ask and ye shall receive :) thanks for the find.

And just like that, we have a 9-12 team on the bubble.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Just another excuse for the NCAA to add more P5 schools to the DANCE. There is no way they would add a Mid Major with a losing record, only a P5.
Normally I am on the bandwagon of leading the charge for more mid-majors making the tournament over "also rans of 4-10 conference records in P5" but in reviewing the list of mid-major conferences, other than the Summitt, I don't see the depth of teams that would warrant an at large bid. The Summitt should have at least 2 in SDSU and SD with ND State as a sleeper. So if I follow the bubble logic of the noted bracketologist and our esteemed "bubble-ites" I am reading these schools either in or out:
Ole Miss-I just don't buy a 4-10 in season record as worthy but....
LSU-again, a net rating of 61 doesn't seem to warrant a bid
Wake Forest- just don't see it but rather have them over-
Notre Dame-who have 4 bad losses of Ohio, BC and 2 to Clemson
VPI-more in than out
FSU-I guess in but I am not sold that Brooke did such a great job filling in for Sue. She's still better than Ivey.
Clemson-while I am elated in their win over ND, not a NCAAT team in my view
Not sure I am aware of any other P5 schools on the bubble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom