Week 14 preview (Feb. 7-13) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 14 preview (Feb. 7-13)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
#1 SC 31 #17 GA 11

Is SC actually under the radar? Seems possible they’re not getting enough attention for their dominance.
I commented in Chat that they have very much stabilized the ship since the calamity in (the other) Columbia. Re-solidifying their status as the team to beat.

Georgia, meanwhile, has looked downright mediocre since they took down NC State.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Louisville crushing ND 58-37 after 3Q

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, whatever else happens today, I will have gleaned some glee from Louisville's utter demolition of Notre Dame of Northern Indiana.

Jeff Walz will forever be grateful for the reverse jinx provided by a certain Boneyard poster who confidently declared Louisville to be the "most overrated team in the country" after the first game of the season.

It's too bad that ND's quitter of a former coach "retired", or else she could have taken another earful in the handshake line again :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCF sweeps the season series against USF. 55-33. The Knights now have a two game lead for the regular season title in the American.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Michigan loses to northwestern in double ot
Two somewhat bad losses in a row for Michigan, after their high-water mark at #4 in the AP poll after beating Indiana. The loss to Michigan State can be explained as a rivalry game; to Northwestern, not so much. I guess they're missing Leigha Brown.

Some other notable results:

— UCF asserts control of 1st place in the AAC with a sweep of South Florida, going away in the 2nd half. Final score 54-33. I believe both of these teams will make the NCAAT, although S. Florida needs to stop losing to the weaker teams.

— Rhode Island maintains its half-game lead over Dayton in the A-10, with a solid win over Fordham. URI plays Dayton on Wednesday, the first of two meetings vs. the Flyers in 11 days to which will likely determine 1st place.

— Villanova hasn't exactly followed up well on its win over UConn: needed OT to beat Marquette, and now lost by 12 to Seton Hall. 'Nova reverted to its usual over-reliance on Siegrist, who scored more than half their points. Garzon, who lit up UConn, was 0-5 from 3 and only finished with 4 points.

— Georgia Tech narrowly averted what would've been a horrible loss to bottom-feeder Clemson, in overtime. I'd say that keeps alive GT's hopes of hosting first weekend.

— NC State pulls away from Duke in what was a very close game until the last 4 minutes. Wolfpack close on a 17-5 run.

Numerous other significant games, including potential upsets, are still in progress.

Reaction Score
Two somewhat bad losses in a row for Michigan, after their high-water mark at #4 in the AP poll after beating Indiana. The loss to Michigan State can be explained as a rivalry game; to Northwestern, not so much. I guess they're missing Leigha Brown.
Something is off, not the team I have watched all year.

Reaction Score
Something is off, not the team I have watched all year.

I agree. Missing Brown is part of it, but it shouldn't have as much impact as it has.

I don't know what it is either. Guard play? Outside shooting issues? Defensive lapses? Anyone's guess as I'm stumped.

Reaction Score
I agree. Missing Brown is part of it, but it shouldn't have as much impact as it has.

I don't know what it is either. Guard play? Outside shooting issues? Defensive lapses? Anyone's guess as I'm stumped.
It’s a long season and it takes a toll on everyone at some point. They probably hit a wall and the loss of Brown has just made it even worse

LSU looked like they were at ground zero a couple weeks ago but have slowly gotten back into the swing of it. I expect the same from Michigan.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Saw the second half of VA vs Wake Forest with a chance to see Mir and she is like a Tsunami on the boards and drawing at least 4 off fouls when VA ties it up in the 3rd. But then it all sought of dissipated in the 4th as WF won by 15. I was hoping for VA to get an ACC win but very little discipline

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Game was blacked out, so had to follow the play by play. Valiant effort for the blue devils, but alas.... another tough defeat. State shot 91% in the 4th quarter today.... egad

TriadDuke will be happy, UNC falls to VT

any joy lasted about 30 minutes.

Well, whatever else happens today, I will have gleaned some glee from Louisville's utter demolition of Notre Dame of Northern Indiana.

Jeff Walz will forever be grateful for the reverse jinx provided by a certain Boneyard poster who confidently declared Louisville to be the "most overrated team in the country" after the first game of the season.

It's too bad that ND's quitter of a former coach "retired", or else she could have taken another earful in the handshake line again :)

Just a hunch, but I don't think Plebe is that fond of Notre Dame

Reaction Score
It’s a long season and it takes a toll on everyone at some point. They probably hit a wall and the loss of Brown has just made it even worse

LSU looked like they were at ground zero a couple weeks ago but have slowly gotten back into the swing of it. I expect the same from Michigan.
Hope that's the case. They have a big match up next Sunday with Maryland coming to Ann Arbor.

Reaction Score

I’m not fond of Louisville or Walz. I don’t like a whiny man
not having it basketball wives GIF by VH1

However I’ll acquiesce to your happiness

Reaction Score

your internet musta gotten disconnected during the Nc st Louisville game or you were hiding.

Plebe

Reaction Score
your internet musta gotten disconnected during the Nc st Louisville game or you were hiding.
So the worst thing you can say about Louisville is they lost a true road game to a top 4 team? Oh yeah, that's turrible.

Reaction Score
So the worst thing you can say about Louisville is they lost a true road game to a top 4 team? Oh yeah, that's turrible.
and when Louisville beats a Uconn team missing their 2 best players what was your reaction? Pumping your chest like that was an accomplishment. Struggling at home vs a 6 win Syracuse team, losing to Arz again another top ranked team in a neutral/road court beating this overrated team. Enjoy your "run" because when March/April comes, my guess is Louisville won't be going far.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maybe only during the fourth quarter. Late in the first half, at one point Louisville nearly doubled NC State's score, 34-17, and NC State scored all of six points in the second quarter. And Louisville won three of the four quarters and just ran out of gas in the fourth.

I really don't think it's unreasonable at all to give the tip to Louisville when comparing the two teams' bodies of work this season.

One thing to remember at the end of the regular season is the ACC's pod system when comparing State to Louisville. State's pod includes home and home with their bitter rival in baby blue.. Duke, and VPI.. as well as uva. Louisville pod includes ND, Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt. I think State has the harder pod to navigate, and I played a better non-conference schedule than Louisville.

Although Louisville should have won in Raleigh, I still think that when both teams play their A-game... State has the better squad. I think most people with ACC interest want to see a State-Louisville matchup in the ACC Finals. I'd prefer Duke vs VPI..... but don't think that will happen.

Plebe

Reaction Score
One thing to remember at the end of the regular season is the ACC's pod system when comparing State to Louisville. State's pod includes home and home with their bitter rival in baby blue.. Duke, and VPI.. as well as uva. Louisville pod includes ND, Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt. I think State has the harder pod to navigate, and I played a better non-conference schedule than Louisville.
I mean, this pod strength analysis sounds plausible in theory ... but NC State already laid a big fat egg against Notre Dame and narrowly averted a loss to Boston College. Louisville is 3-0 against those two teams, with two of those games being 30-point blowouts and was never in danger of losing the 3rd.

Reaction Score
Indiana just validated my last-minute reranking of them from 5th to 11th in the BY poll when I finally got some coffee in my system. Their SOS was actually not nearly as impressive as I was assuming for a team most people were pegging at fifth in the country, and their only "good" win was OT at home vs. Maryland, a team I think is quite overrated when you actually look at their schedule and output.
Indiana is missing one of the best players in the country

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom