Weakness of American - sigh | The Boneyard

Weakness of American - sigh

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I keep hoping that over time, UConn will help lift the overall strength and competitiveness of the AAC. A look at the league record at the end of OOC play suggests I need to wait another year at least.

Whereas in each P5 conference there is only one team with a losing record, there are 4 in our league.

I’m still sore at BC for their role in breaking up the Big East and then helping block our entry into the ACC so I’m delighted to see they have the worst record to date.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I’m still sore at BC for their role in breaking up the Big East and then helping block our entry into the ACC so I’m delighted to see they have the worst record to date.
If you mean Women's Basketball, I don't think the BC Athletic Dept. cares about it. It's all about Football, and to a lesser extent Men's Basketball. To be fair, UConn men have their hands full in both those sports in the American.

Also, to be fair, UConn Women would dominate ( go undefeated) in any of the P5 leagues. That's just the way it is.

Reaction Score
What's sad is that last year, in terms of WCBB, there were some real bright spots among teams that had shown absolutely nothing up to then. But this year, the league seems to have taken a step back. SMU had this Australian, Alicia Froling, who was a lot of fun to watch. Now I notice that when you Gooigle her name, it says she is an Australian professional basketball p-layer now playing college ball at SMU. They can do that? Or maybe that's why she has not been seen in a game this year. In any case, take her out of the equation and SMU is not good at all.

Central Florida was not great but very scrappy. Looks ,like they haven't advanced much this year, South Florida is always good, though I am not a fan of their two gunners, Jesperson and Laksa, who just don't seem very consistent to me.

It's hard to believe there could be schools like Cincinnati in the same league as UConn. That's Cincinnati, as in the team who the administration stuck in a high school gym when their regular arena went under construction. What decent player would want to play in a place where the school just doesn't care? Other teams, such as Tulsa, never are good. And when the league added a team, did they reach upward? Hell, no. They got Wichita State.

It's just sad.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I keep hoping that over time, UConn will help lift the overall strength and competitiveness of the AAC. A look at the league record at the end of OOC play suggests I need to wait another year at least.

Whereas in each P5 conference there is only one team with a losing record, there are 4 in our league.

As I pointed out yesterday in another thread, aside from UConn, the rest of the AAC is 5-25 this year against P5 schools with zero wins against top 25 teams.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the desire to see other AAC schools other than USF up their game is pretty much false hope. The fact that the UConn program is pretty much a break even program at best financially with all the success we've had has to have the other schools in the AAC question whether or not is prudent financially to make that kind of commitment; dollars are stilll the driving force. It will be interesting to see how recruiting goes with us in the AAC when Geno moves on....

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe there could be schools like Cincinnati in the same league as UConn. That's Cincinnati, as in the team who the administration stuck in a high school gym when their regular arena went under construction. What decent player would want to play in a place where the school just doesn't care? Other teams, such as Tulsa, never are good. And when the league added a team, did they reach upward? Hell, no. They got Wichita State.

It's just sad.
But Wichita State is really good in football, right?

(ooops)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many really good teams want to join the AAC? Wichita State was probably as good as they could do.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The league is still VERY young and it takes time to build competitive momentum. A single player can make a huge difference for any team, but generally it is a slow journey from mediocrity to respectability. The teams in the AAC only 'moved up' three years ago. It was a bit easier in the distant past because fewer schools took women's team seriously.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Well it's a hope against hope that is rarely reflected on any level of sports. Just look at the AFC East for example. The Pats have dominated that division for years while the other teams have barely been good enough to make the playoffs, nonetheless come up with a viable quarterback.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What's sad is that last year, in terms of WCBB, there were some real bright spots among teams that had shown absolutely nothing up to then. But this year, the league seems to have taken a step back. SMU had this Australian, Alicia Froling, who was a lot of fun to watch. Now I notice that when you Gooigle her name, it says she is an Australian professional basketball p-layer now playing college ball at SMU. They can do that? Or maybe that's why she has not been seen in a game this year. In any case, take her out of the equation and SMU is not good at all.

Central Florida was not great but very scrappy. Looks ,like they haven't advanced much this year, South Florida is always good, though I am not a fan of their two gunners, Jesperson and Laksa, who just don't seem very consistent to me.

It's just sad.
The Wichita State men are 10-2 and are ranked #8. The team is considered a contender for the men's title.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cincinnati has been in the same league as UConn since 2005 when the Big East added Cincinnati, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville and South Florida.

Cincinnati's men's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 and are a better team than the UConn men these days.

Reaction Score
. And when the league added a team, did they reach upward? Hell, no. They got Wichita State.

Wichita State in men's basketball has been one of the top ten teams in the nation over the past eight years collectively. Better than any AAC team, including UConn, SMU, or Cinci. Unfortunately women's basketball is not much of a factor on who gets taken.

Reaction Score
Who ever thought SMU would be dominating AAC men's basketball at all? The Big East gave UConn the chance to excel. Now the AAC will allow for more schools to develop their athletic departments. ECU is adding women's lacrosse.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If you mean Women's Basketball, I don't think the BC Athletic Dept. cares about it. It's all about Football, and to a lesser extent Men's Basketball. To be fair, UConn men have their hands full in both those sports in the American.

Also, to be fair, UConn Women would dominate ( go undefeated) in any of the P5 leagues. That's just the way it is.
Actually BC cares about Hockey first, second and third, then football. They are overmatwched in all the ACC sports with some being specifically abysmal like Swimming, soccer, volleyball, baseball and basketball. But hey, they get their money, regardless if the AD actually puts anything back into the facilities.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

It's just sad.
I agreed with all your observations up to this one-as you well know the renovation is for one year and as Cincinnati averaged 827 fans last year, it doesn’t make sense to rent a big arena. On top of tha, the gym they play in is fairly new and I saw the Xavier game against them on ESPN app and it looked pretty good, not like the “gyms” most of us recall. The school, like 85% on field teams because they must to fulfill title IX and put in minimal amount to be competitive and collect the NCAA football and MCBB tourney fees.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The high school gym thing isn't all that uncommon. Years ago, West Virginia played in one while they spiffed up the Coliseum. It was memorable because the Rutgers fan club ran a bus trip to the game. We had a bit of trouble finding the school.

That said, in general, I don't think Cincinnati really does care that much about their Women's Basketball Program. Actually I don't think a lot of schools do. Part of the American's issue - as I see it - is the schools don't have the football TV revenue stream that the P5 does. So there is less money to spread around the various programs - money that is scarce enough even many P5 schools.

Reaction Score

It's just sad.
Especially if they previously played high school ball in a better facility than they are now!

Reaction Score
Wichita State in men's basketball has been one of the top ten teams in the nation over the past eight years collectively. Better than any AAC team, including UConn, SMU, or Cinci. Unfortunately women's basketball is not much of a factor on who gets taken.
In last 8 years Wichita State hasnt won a NC! Uconn Mens Basketball has Won 2 out of 8 NCs!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In last 8 years Wichita State hasnt won a NC! Uconn Mens Basketball has Won 2 out of 8 NCs!
Yes, including the 2014 National Championship, UConn's second dual national championship. So, yes, stamford misspoke.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Careful for what you wish! When Geno retires you may being happy the AAC is as weak as it is.

Reaction Score

Wonder if BC got what they wanted with their move to ACC. Once with strong basketball and football teams, seems like today they are glad to just have winning record. While they are making more money, alums likely not thrilled to see 2nd tier teams in most major sports.

Reaction Score
Careful for what you wish! When Geno retires you may being happy the AAC is as weak as it is.
How do you think the Big East improved over the years! AAC has 3 NCs and the rest of WCBB has only 1 Since AAC was formed!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom