Weak P5 Teams Getting Dropped? | The Boneyard

Weak P5 Teams Getting Dropped?

Reaction Score
This is a very real possibility: Joel Klatt gives warning on potential game-changing next step in conference realignment

The writing is on the wall for leeches like BCU.
It'll be interesting to see how in the long run (5-15 years) how the deletion of P5 weaklings (e.g. Vanderbilt, etc.) would impact casual fans in terms of two dynamics:

1- better games/higher level competition across the regular season

2- will there be a perception with less undefeated/one loss teams that parity is not wanted (i.e. as much as I watch the NFL I don't get excited about games not involving my team when it is two 6-6 teams playing).

It just seems that for 50 years the casual college fan has been programed to only care/care more about no loss or 1 loss teams.

So, will net-positive point 1 above outweigh net-negative point 2 above?

Reaction Score
I agree. You need somebody to beat if you are Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State. You do not want to play equals week in week out. Alabama NEEDS to fatten its record against the Ol’ Misses and South Carolinas of the world. Ohio State and Michigan need to whoop up on Indiana and Northwestern. Norte Dame used to play the toughest schedule in the country every year. Now they typically play a couple of G5s they expect to beat, Navy and 4 ACC teams who are often patsies too. Why? Because it was too hard. The idea that Tenn State and Centeal Michigan woul BOTH be on the Irish schedule would cause Ara to faint.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a while. You have to do it. At some point there is no more juice to be squeezed from the fruit, so the only thing left to do is reduce the mouths to feed. It's basically late stage capitalism for college sports.

Reaction Score
Someone has to be fodder for the conference biggies (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc).
Toss a bone to the midlings every once in a while (LSU, Arkansas, Wisconsin, etc).
Lotsa luck to the fodder (Vandy, South Carolina, Northwestern, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc).
It’s got to suck to be a sports fan for a fodder school.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A team like Vandy isn't getting dumped. It's in a fun city, opposing teams can get all the tix they want to watch their team club the Commodores and it's an easy drive for almost all the SEC teams.

Wake Forest is easy for many fans to go to and easy to get tix.

A school like 'cuse or BCU better be nervous. Boston is probably a cool city to visit but is it a place ACC fans want to visit? IMO, It really doesn't have the cache' as a must visit city for southerners or Mid-atlantic states.

Reaction Score
A team like Vandy isn't getting dumped. It's in a fun city, opposing teams can get all the tix they want to watch their team club the Commodores and it's an easy drive for almost all the SEC teams.

Wake Forest is easy for many fans to go to and easy to get tix.

A school like 'cuse or BCU better be nervous. Boston is probably a cool city to visit but is it a place ACC fans want to visit? IMO, It really doesn't have the cache' as a must visit city for southerners or Mid-atlantic states.
Really? I think Boston is a must see for all Americans. The history is exceptional.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t want to jump the gun, but I’m so close to starting a thread on schools UConn should block forever…
No Way Do Not Want GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't lump South Carolina in with Northwestern, Rutgers etc guys :eek:
Agreed. A team that routinely fills a 77k seat stadium isn't one of the weak links.

Interesting to see if this happens. At some point, a cheaper alternative to FBS football would be smart for many of the schools currently in FBS. It's cost prohibitive.

Reaction Score
I agree. You need somebody to beat if you are Alabama or Georgia or Ohio State. You do not want to play equals week in week out. Alabama NEEDS to fatten its record against the Ol’ Misses and South Carolinas of the world. Ohio State and Michigan need to whoop up on Indiana and Northwestern. Norte Dame used to play the toughest schedule in the country every year. Now they typically play a couple of G5s they expect to beat, Navy and 4 ACC teams who are often patsies too. Why? Because it was too hard. The idea that Tenn State and Centeal Michigan woul BOTH be on the Irish schedule would cause Ara to faint.
That's an easy problem to solve. The conference can easily add additional OOC games against these cannon fodders. They can still get their Ws that way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Very expensive trip for a family because you cant drive
You can't? A lot of people do. Fanuel Hall gets 18 million visitors a year. There are some hotels with parking.

Reaction Score
Very expensive trip for a family because you cant drive
New England/northeast native? Different perspective, but Mid-Atlantic, SE and beyond families annually drive much longer distances than smallish state New Englanders, including for visits to Boston, New England, and the northeast in general.

Reaction Score
Someone has to be fodder for the conference biggies (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc).
Toss a bone to the midlings every once in a while (LSU, Arkansas, Wisconsin, etc).
Lotsa luck to the fodder (Vandy, South Carolina, Northwestern, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc).
Were we fodder for play-off hopeful Tennessee football last year? or Clemson? For Georgia during the many times we beat the Top 5 ranked bulldogs. Ohio State has never beaten us. Michigan's record against us is far less than dominating

No, we haven't been playoff contenders in the two or four team playofferas - , but "fodder?" We turn out a good number of NFL players and are frequently capable of beating the big boys and middlings. We have spoiled a number of seasons

BTW I think LSU is more than "middling" in football. Arkansas? We're on about the samelevel?

NOW, if you are talking Men's BB. - Yeah. WE FODDER!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Were we fodder for play-off hopeful Tennessee football last year? or Clemson? For Georgia during the many times we beat the Top 5 ranked bulldogs. Ohio State has never beaten us. Michigan's record against us is far less than dominating

No, we haven't been playoff contenders in the two or four team playofferas - , but "fodder?" We turn out a good number of NFL players and are frequently capable of beating the big boys and middlings. We have spoiled a number of seasons

BTW I think LSU is more than "middling" in football. Arkansas? We're on about the samelevel?

NOW, if you are talking Men's BB. - Yeah. WE FODDER!
My new mental image of @visitingcock:

1685638540072.png

"We are your fodder
"​

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
S. Carolina fans were the best I've run into at any bowl game or Final Four. My one quibble is that I heard more "SEC" cheers than "USC" cheers from them.

Reaction Score
S. Carolina fans were the best I've run into at any bowl game or Final Four. My one quibble is that I heard more "SEC" cheers than "USC" cheers from them.
How many other SEC fanbases have you mingled with in bowl games? ;)

We wandered in the wilderness of being an independent for decades after leaving the ACC. It was huge to us when we finally joined a power conference. Thus, we are probably more SEC SEC SEC than others - but not as much as you would think. Every SEC fanbase (even Bama) is going to chant it at some time when playing football or baseball out of conference. Half the teams in the conference have won modern national titles in those two sports. Men's basketball? Not so much because Kentucky has been carrying the conference since . . . well . . forever. Women's basketball? Well, yeah it happens there too but not as much (though LSU's ascension may change that.).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I wouldn't lump South Carolina in with Northwestern, Rutgers etc guys :eek:
Or Ole Miss. There's really not a lot of truly weak links in the SEC. Even Mizzou is occasionally good. This fanbase wouldn't think of it but Kentucky is a bottom 3 team for football. Vandy is good at baseball.

Reaction Score
Or Ole Miss. There's really not a lot of truly weak links in the SEC. Even Mizzou is occasionally good. This fanbase wouldn't think of it but Kentucky is a bottom 3 team for football. Vandy is good at baseball.
I was driving to Nashville from Ky in the 1997 and I was listening to UK , Bama football game . I think Ky had a lead and the announcer said if they held on it would be their first win over Bama since 1922 . That’s about as one sided as you can get . That series started in 1917 and it’s 38-2-1 all time . They didn’t play during Bear Bryant’s UK stay in the 1950’s when he had some decent teams.
However it was the UK BB inner circle , who told me if UConn went D1 in football and got into a Bowl eligible conference it was a no brainer as bad as UK football was it made more money than its storied basketball team . I never was aware of the disparity between those sports until then .

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm replying again. I'm not angry and only mildly annoyed by being called "fodder." I've had my say regarding that subject. Let's assume we (and Ole Miss) ARE fodder in football. So, I declare peace.

And yet. Here's an Idea of what football "fodder" schools get to spend on sports infrastucture and non football sports without the students and taxpayers footing the bill:

The Top 25 Most Valuable College Football Programs, courtesy of GoBankingRates:

1. Texas (Tie) – $147
1. Texas A&M (Tie) – $147M
3. Michigan – $139M
4. Alabama – $134M
5. Ohio State – $132M
6. Oklahoma – $129M
7. Georgia – $125M
8. Notre Dame $120M
9. Florida (Tie) – $117M
9. Auburn (Tie) – $117M
11. LSU – $114M
12. Tennessee – $113M
13. Penn State – $104M
14. Oregon (Tie) – $96M
14. Florida State (Tie) – $96M
16. South Carolina (Tie) – $95M
16. Arkansas (Tie) – $95M
18. USC – $93M
19. Washington – $92M
20. Nebraska – $91M
21. Iowa – $89M
22. Michigan State – $87M
23. Wisconsin – $86M
24. Ole Miss – $84M
Clemson – $77M

ALSO - and you can see why Clempson about ACC profit sharing.:cool:

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm replying again. I'm not angry and only mildly annoyed by being called "fodder." I've had my say regarding that subject. Let's assume we (and Ole Miss) ARE fodder in football. So, I declare peace.

And yet. Here's an Idea of what football "fodder" schools get to spend on sports infrastucture and non football sports without the students and taxpayers footing the bill:

The Top 25 Most Valuable College Football Programs, courtesy of GoBankingRates:

1. Texas (Tie) – $147
1. Texas A&M (Tie) – $147M
3. Michigan – $139M
4. Alabama – $134M
5. Ohio State – $132M
6. Oklahoma – $129M
7. Georgia – $125M
8. Notre Dame $120M
9. Florida (Tie) – $117M
9. Auburn (Tie) – $117M
11. LSU – $114M
12. Tennessee – $113M
13. Penn State – $104M
14. Oregon (Tie) – $96M
14. Florida State (Tie) – $96M
16. South Carolina (Tie) – $95M
16. Arkansas (Tie) – $95M
18. USC – $93M
19. Washington – $92M
20. Nebraska – $91M
21. Iowa – $89M
22. Michigan State – $87M
23. Wisconsin – $86M
24. Ole Miss – $84M
Clemson – $77M

ALSO - and you can see why Clempson about ACC profit sharing.:cool:
Fair enough. I concede SC is not fodder but in the middling category.

Reaction Score
I don’t think they’ll dump the weaker teams from the conference as the stronger teams need to rack up wins. I think the stage is being set for the low performance teams to get less than a full share. Eventually, the networks are not going to want to pay huge money to teams that are never going to be highlighted on the national broadcast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom