Weak in the paint | The Boneyard

Weak in the paint

Reaction Score
This sums up our entire season... Thought we'd get better.. We never did...
Unfortunately, I think the end is probably near for this regime...

Whatever happens, we gotta get back to those Calhoun rebounding drills from day 1 of Fall practice... Those drills till a kids starts throwing up... We need to find out who exactly has the desire up front to put their heart on the line in a game and fight for the ball in the paint... You show this you'll get some points in the paint.. Some putbacks and "and one!s" or kick outs to open perimeter players...

I know I know, our halfcourt offensive philosophy sucks... but we need kids to wake up in the paint.. have some pride.. There's talent but clearly untapped... Too dependent on kids on the perimeter to do it all... Breeds stiffs down low...

Gotta change this mindset on the court.. This is NOT UCONN Basketball.. Not even close... We're getting blown out by teams that we should be able to, at the very least, compete against to the very end...

Unacceptable...

Something tells me the kids that we have committed will help change this but it might be too late now for the current coaching staff...

Reaction Score
I like Carlton but he rarely plays with a power forward, He should play with Diarra or Cobb as the 4.

This idea of four interchangeable pieces has been poo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This sums up our entire season... Thought we'd get better.. We never did...
Unfortunately, I think the end is probably near for this regime...

Whatever happens, we gotta get back to those Calhoun rebounding drills from day 1 of Fall practice... Those drills till a kids starts throwing up... We need to find out who exactly has the desire up front to put their heart on the line in a game and fight for the ball in the paint... You show this you'll get some points in the paint.. Some putbacks and "and one!s" or kick outs to open perimeter players...

I know I know, our halfcourt offensive philosophy sucks... but we need kids to wake up in the paint.. have some pride.. There's talent but clearly untapped... Too dependent on kids on the perimeter to do it all... Breeds stiffs down low...

Gotta change this mindset on the court.. This is NOT UCONN Basketball.. Not even close... We're getting blown out by teams that we should be able to, at the very least, compete against to the very end...

Unacceptable...

Something tells me the kids that we have committed will help change this but it might be too late now for the current coaching staff...

Biggest difference - JC had a mixture of young and old talented bigs
This team has no bigs for the young guys to practice against or learn from
Hard for your perimeter players when pass after pass to the hole goes for naught
KO has not recruited any decent bigs

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Weak in the paint, weak in the paint, looking like a fool when you're weak in the paint.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Let’s send out a line of DO, KW, Cobb, Diarra, and Noyes just to see what a little muscule can do.

Reaction Score
Jalen is pretty good when decides to be

He decided to play in thew 2nd half when we were way down. That's enough for most I'm sure. Love the kid but that was an atrocious attempt at coming back form the flu in the first half.

Reaction Score
Carlton has done great considering where he's at as a true frosh... what screwed him over was Enoch's transfer. He could've had a little more time to develop if he were still here. Watch and learn a little more while getting stronger as the season went on... IMO he would've been even better at this point in the season if Enoch were here. Just gaining more experience during practice time against a better big man than anybody we currently have is my point. Onuorah looks the part but he's awful for more than 5 minutes (look like Tarzan, play like Jane)... Diara is still in project mode as well... He's a 4 man, maybe play a little 5 when we go smaller, but he just too raw right now... Whaley shows flashes with his Dennis Rodman type style, but he's just waaay to skinny to impact the paint & has got to get stronger...Was hoping we could strike lightning in a bottle with Cobb, but he's had his issues... and we are just finding out that Kwintin Williams can provide valuable time and physicality on the court that we desperately needed all year long...

Reaction Score
People love Carlton but I don’t see it. He gets schooled by any reasonable big. He isn’t a particularly effective defender. Maybe as a senior he is one of those guys who can become a 3rd 4th option as a scorer. UNC in particular seems to come up with those guys a lot. But I don’t see all this talent some folks do.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He decided to play in thew 2nd half when we were way down. That's enough for most I'm sure. Love the kid but that was an atrocious attempt at coming back form the flu in the first half.
Terrible Hoop smarts. Down 6 late and going in for a lay up.

Reaction Score
Terrible Hoop smarts. Down 6 late and going in for a lay up.

And an awful pass too but that's what happens when you don't play the same in the first half as the 2nd. Things tend to get a little whacked, like the passion they showed but where was it prior?

Reaction Score
It seems like this has been the case ever since Ollie took over as head coach. Shonn Miller and Amida Brimah have been the two best post players that KO recruited, and go figure, the last time we were in the NCAA Tournament was when we had Miller and Brimah in the same year.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Carlton has done great considering where he's at as a true frosh... what screwed him over was Enoch's transfer. He could've had a little more time to develop if he were still here. Watch and learn a little more while getting stronger as the season went on... IMO he would've been even better at this point in the season if Enoch were here. Just gaining more experience during practice time against a better big man than anybody we currently have is my point. Onuorah looks the part but he's awful for more than 5 minutes (look like Tarzan, play like Jane)... Diara is still in project mode as well... He's a 4 man, maybe play a little 5 when we go smaller, but he just too raw right now... Whaley shows flashes with his Dennis Rodman type style, but he's just waaay to skinny to impact the paint & has got to get stronger...Was hoping we could strike lightning in a bottle with Cobb, but he's had his issues... and we are just finding out that Kwintin Williams can provide valuable time and physicality on the court that we desperately needed all year long...

Diarra's biggest problem is his height. He has a 4/5 skillset in a 2/3's size.

Reaction Score
Remind me again about how good Carlton is.
He's got foot work and decent moves down low. He just doesn't have the power or been taught to go up strong and take the hit. I don't think KO really encourages the bigs to take chances and it's clear they are not taught to be productive. Just bad coaching.

Reaction Score
Remind me again about how good Carlton is.

You can see it if you look. He's a freshman who usually plays with no help. Often the back line is Carlton and Adams or Vital.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Usually when a coach is getting fired, it’s not a great idea for fans to bad mouth players with some promise. For all we know these guys already have a foot out the door, but I would be disappointed to see Carlton, Diarra, or Whaley leave. They’re freshman receiving awful coaching. They likely will all be good in time.

Reaction Score
KW changed the momentum of the game
this cannot be emphasized enough.

If we do get a new coach next year I cannot wait to see who comes in and how they evaluate the roster. At this point I have zero faith in Ollie to properly utilize any roster - a new coach could come in a play Kwintin 25 minutes a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom