We (UCONN) no longer have #1 recruiting class for 2017!? | The Boneyard

We (UCONN) no longer have #1 recruiting class for 2017!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those rankings are rather bogus, because they don't weight for the recruits. A school landing the #1 player should be rewarded with a higher rating than a school getting four players who rank from #30-#60. Tennessee did get three of the top twelve players according to ESPN. But UConn landed the top player in the nation.

ESPN's ranking system is seriously flawed.

Reaction Score
Holly needed strong class to help save her job.
Also Vols needed players. Next year's roster will have 13, but 5 of those will be seniors, and 2 others will be the desperation players they took in the off season to get some bodies.

Reaction Score
Those rankings are rather bogus, because they don't weight for the recruits. A school landing the #1 player should be rewarded with a higher rating than a school getting four players who rank from #30-#60. Tennessee did get three of the top twelve players according to ESPN. But UConn landed the top player in the nation.

ESPN's ranking system is seriously flawed.
Almost seems that late signees get more value assigned in these silly surveys. Geno had most of his class early on-appears writer(s) may have forgotten.

Reaction Score
After watching some of the Penn State Tennessee game tonight I would say that the Volunteers could have the #1 and #2 recruiting classes and they would still be a mess........................never has so little been done with so much

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Let's talk in 4 years. The class includes 2 strong NPOY candidates in Azura and Meg.
More than that, as you pointed out, Azura will, according to Geno, likely be the #1 pick in the WNBA after her RS senior year at UCONN. And just look at the wonders the Tenn coaching staff has done with Diamond and Mercedes.

I tend to agree that it's mystifying why any top player would still want to go there to play, but from what I understand, Holly and her staff have spent TONS of time recruiting not only the players, but the families as well. However, Holly spends so much time recruiting she has no time left to learn how to actually coach the players...

Remember Diana and Ashley Robinson (#'s 1 and 2 who went to UCONN and Tenn). Remember Maya and Angie Bjorkland? Let's talk in 4 years when discussing Megatron and Evina. And I'll go out on a limb now and say Lexi and Mikayla will both be better players than the #9 and 12 kids Tennessee got. Why? Coaching and effort. Either way, like you, I love our class, and when you add in Stevens and Camara, just wow...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Until Tennessee proves it can develop the talent it gets, I ain't worried. How many supposedly blue-chip recruits have gone to Tennessee only to plateau by the middle of their sophomore year? And that's a trend that pre-dates Holly.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Diamond will opt for the "W" at the end of this season...just my opinion...no intel. Additionally, we have already seen what happens to Tennessee when they bring in a monster class...ie., "Six Pack". I think regardless of how you rate these two classes, at the end of the day...UConn's class will be the more accomplished class of the two.

With regards to next year's class...it really is impossible to compare classes while ignoring both Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara as both players will be immediate impact players due to their skill set and experience. When you add in Stevens and Batouly it is UConn with the best group of new players next year and then everybody else. You might as well as say that UConn has two number one players of the year coming in next year...Megan Walker consensus number one while Azura Stevens, was only ranked 29 (ESPN.com) coming out of High School. Azura's 6.6 body and experience have caused Geno to say that if she stays for her senior year that she will be drafted number 1 by WNBA. Throw in Batouly Camara who was the number two power forward coming out of high school (All Star Girls Report) and the number 9 best player in the country (ESPN.com); Makayla Coombs number 14 (HoopGurlz); Lexi Gordon #29 (HoopGurlz); Andra Espinoza-Hunter #37

UConn:
Megan Walker #1
Batouly Camara #9
Makayla Coombs #14
Azura Stevens #29 (but actually given her late blooming skill set, experience and size should be much higher...probably top 5)
Lexi Gordon #29
Andra Espinoza- Hunter - #37

Tennessee:
Evina Westbrook #2
Anastasia Hayes #9
Rennia Davis #12
Kasiyahna Kushkituah #55

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will take our class over Tennessee's any time. No slight to the Lady Vols class which is great but Geno will get more out of this class than Holly will out of hers.
And that is precisely the sad state of UT WCBB, indeed many young ladies throughout WCBB. Talented young ladies with fine futures limited by mediocre coaching.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
How is a class made of 3 five star and 1 four star recruits become a better class than 4 five star recruits? Not that it bothers me but I'm struggling to see the rationale esp noting that CT has the #1 recruit

Reaction Score
How is a class made of 3 five star and 1 four star recruits become a better class than 4 five star recruits? Not that it bothers me but I'm struggling to see the rationale esp noting that CT has the #1 recruit
They add in Junior College players when ranking classes, so eligible transfers should be counted too.

CBear01

Reaction Score
They add in Junior College players when ranking classes, so eligible transfers should be counted too.

Gosh, if we are going to include transfers then with the 6 newbies next year there ain't 2 teams combined that could outrank the huskies!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't really care about class ranking because it is based on numbers and not on the actual players. I would take a class of one by the name of Stewart over next years uconn or TN classes for example, and you can replace Stewart with DT, or Maya, or Griner, or Parker.

And I prefer Uconn not get the #1 rated class - that way Brenda can't use it as an excuse for the next four years (but she will anyway! :rolleyes:)

CBear01

Reaction Score
I would take a class of one by the name of Stewart over next years uconn or TN classes for example, and you can replace Stewart with DT, or Maya, or Griner, or Parker.

I'm glad you included Parker, she was (still is !) a game changer for the women's game as much as anyone up there.

Wow
Stewie with 4
DT with 3
Maya and Parker with 2
Griner with 1

That's twelve titles between them, and that's college only. Let's not get into WNBA titles and GOLD medals

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what other teams are ranked when it comes to college recruiting classes. Every player comes in with their level of potential and some are unfulfilled they just play BB and move on and others become All-Americans, top 5 WNBA Draft picks and Hall of Famers, and they have a degree from Geno Auriemma's school of Championship BB that gets them to the mountaintop!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm glad you included Parker, she was (still is !) a game changer for the women's game as much as anyone up there.

Wow
Stewie with 4
DT with 3
Maya and Parker with 2
Griner with 1

That's twelve titles between them, and that's college only. Let's not get into WNBA titles and GOLD medals
Those 5 players account for 12 of the last 15 championships. Add Sophia Young, Kristi Tolliver, and Danielle Adams, and that covers ALL of them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Those 5 players account for 12 of the last 15 championships. Add Sophia Young, Kristi Tolliver, and Danielle Adams, and that covers ALL of them.
While you name three very good players, none of those three rise to the level of the ones I listed - they represent the typical kind of #1 ranked player or top 5 ranked player that you see most years - it is only the occasional HS class that has a game changer at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom