We should play all our games at the XL Center | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We should play all our games at the XL Center

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Building opened in 1975. We weren't dominating until the late 90's when it was >20 years old.

My point was that when you WIN, people complain rarely. When you lose, people complain about everything and anything.
If we dominate the AAC, you'll hear more noise from the crowd about the game than
about the games location.
My point is everyone loved the building when it was new innovative. Forty-four years later? Not so much.

Reaction Score
If UConn plays a good game vs USF at Gampel next week it will get loud like today.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I was excited to have my 6 year old and my old man with me at the game today. It was knockin like it used to late in the game. If we could have mustered a win it would have done worlds of good for the boys and the fans. Were gonna get there.

Reaction Score
The crowd was loud all game, but they only stood and got super loud when Hurley instructed them. That was somewhere around the five minute mark. CV had tried a little earlier
You can believe what you want but the crowd was into it the whole game. Watching Hurley is not what gets the crowd going. Plays on the court does.

Reaction Score
Polley hitting that 3 late was a great moment to witness. That is why we attend games to be there for times like that. I was happy for him and he has 2 more years to hit more big shots. Games should be played in both venues but for me a great XL game is hard to beat for the fanbase. More students attend at Gampel but they rarely fill the upper level section behind the basket adjacent to UCONN's bench. XL is more for the alumni and general fans. They need to schedule games better during Christmas break which has been mentioned often by Yarders. Today is why big games are at XL.

Reaction Score
You can believe what you want but the crowd was into it the whole game. Watching Hurley is not what gets the crowd going. Plays on the court does.

I was there. My seat lines up with the bench, section 111. No doubt Hurley turned it up a notch. As I said crowd was loud, but my vantage of Hurley gives me no doubt that it is not a belief, but reality

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Team needs to keep the energy going throughout the game. I know that is hard at times, but it should be just in burst like today early on and then the last 8 minutes. The middle 12 minutes were just bad. That can't happen for that long, otherwise we get close loses instead of wins.

Reaction Score
I always prefer Gampel over XL, but today, The XL Center was rocking. I give credit to Hartford when its due, and the Arizona game, and todays game were very good atmospheres. I was at the Texas game in 2010, and the Syracuse game in 2012 which are probably in the discussion for the loudest games in Gampel history.

When it come to the Gampel vs XL argument, I think the opponent is really the main factor followed by day and time. One thing in common with the Texas and Syracuse games is they were both on a Saturday. Weeknight crowds tend to be late arriving and sometimes the noon games in Hartford as well, but if we were to have Duke or UNC on the schedule and they came in ranked in the top 5, I dont think it would matter where and when the game was played, Gampel and XL would be intense.

C

Chief00

When we get a good product out there, and the conference keeps growing and getting better XL will get 10k+ every game besides ECU, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa and USF. Those are the games that should be at Gampel because the AD needs all the xtra money it can get
SMU will be good again. They have e resources.

C

Chief00

I always prefer Gampel over XL, but today, The XL Center was rocking. I give credit to Hartford when its due, and the Arizona game, and todays game were very good atmospheres. I was at the Texas game in 2010, and the Syracuse game in 2012 which are probably in the discussion for the loudest games in Gampel history.

When it come to the Gampel vs XL argument, I think the opponent is really the main factor followed by day and time. One thing in common with the Texas and Syracuse games is they were both on a Saturday. Weeknight crowds tend to be late arriving and sometimes the noon games in Hartford as well, but if we were to have Duke or UNC on the schedule and they came in ranked in the top 5, I dont think it would matter where and when the game was played, Gampel and XL would be intense.

Florida game at Gampel was special too.

Reaction Score
That's stupid. The floor is horrible. Someone is going to get hurt from slipping. Gilbert almost blew out his knee at the end of the game. Having the ice underneath the court does cause a problem. Cincy was having trouble in the first half with slipping, it is just a matter of time before someone does get hurt.

Boy you could not be more accurate on this! In this day and age they should not have guys out there with that kind of moisture on the court. I'm an out of towner, but are they still playing hockey games regularly at the XL?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Boy you could not be more accurate on this! In this day and age they should not have guys out there with that kind of moisture on the court. I'm an out of towner, but are they still playing hockey games regularly at the XL?
Between the AHL Wolfpack and UConn hockey there’s usually 3-4 hockey games there a week

Reaction Score
Felt great in there, yesterday. Hartford was rocking, even if there was only 20-30 students committed to its cause.

Reaction Score
I like both. I get why people are annoyed with the XL Center, but big UConn games are big UConn games.

The Arizona crowd was the nuttiest i've heard in *years* in that place and the only thing that was anywhere KIND OF in its zip code was when we beat SMU in 2016 at home...

Before then it was really the Florida game in 2014, Texas in 2010 and the Cuse game in 12.

There's been so many though.

I remember the Syracuse game at home in 1995 on Big Monday and that was just bananas from tip to end. That's probably the most sustained crazy I can remember a UConn game. Felt like we were at a street fight cheering on our best friend...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn vs Syracuse in 2012 at Gampel is the single best sports environment I’ve ever been a part of.

I’ve been to Yankees/Red Sox games, Bruins and Celtics playoff games and I’m a Georgia football season ticket holder.

This is the reason I’m so passionate about playing more games at Gampel.

That UConn Cuse game was pandemonium. I think I missed maybe 5 Gampel games from 05-13 and that was right up there with the best.

I now watch at home being out of CT and while I usually watch the games on mute or with low volume, I always crank it up real loud for Big Red chants. Still gives me chills. My favorite thing in all of sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That UConn Cuse game was pandemonium. I think I missed maybe 5 Gampel games from 05-13 and that was right up there with the best.

I now watch at home being out of CT and while I usually watch the games on mute or with low volume, I always crank it up real loud for Big Red Chant (. Still gives me chills. My favorite thing in all of sports.
and so on brand. Love the Big Red cheers much better the UConn, Huskies, Woof cheer. Big Red Cheer after a Husky big play or lead change in our fans is definitely a 6th man advantage for us.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom