We should play all our games at the XL Center | The Boneyard

We should play all our games at the XL Center

Reaction Score
That's stupid. The floor is horrible. Someone is going to get hurt from slipping. Gilbert almost blew out his knee at the end of the game. Having the ice underneath the court does cause a problem. Cincy was having trouble in the first half with slipping, it is just a matter of time before someone does get hurt.

Reaction Score
If they do that UConn will rack up the injuries. Most slippery playing surface on the planet... lucky that Gilbert didn't get hurt when he want down late in the 2nd half due to the terrible floor.

Reaction Score
agree. I bet this team would’ve drawn 8k for this game at Gampel. Uppers begins the basket and corners almost empty.

Reaction Score
When we get a good product out there, and the conference keeps growing and getting better XL will get 10k+ every game besides ECU, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa and USF. Those are the games that should be at Gampel because the AD needs all the xtra money it can get

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It sounded awesome on TV. Wish I was there. XL is a blast when it rocking.

(FWIW, Tom got a little screen time today.)
Looked like he was apologizing to someone who was trying to exit the row while he was mid-chant, which should be almost as inexcusable as doing so during the National Anthem.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I don't remember many complaints about playing in either of our current venues when we were dominating the real BIG EAST
for more than a decade. When the team plays consistently hard, the noise usually follows. We played really hard the last 8 minutes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, and I don't remember many complaints about playing in either of our current venues when we were dominating the real BIG EAST
for more than a decade. When the team plays consistently hard, the noise usually follows. We played really hard the last 8 minutes.
Then you weren't paying attention. If your point is that people complained less about the XL when it was the brandy new Civic Center, I agree. Time gets us all eventually.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's a nut job in many respects, but he doesn't lack energy or passion.
I felt bad for him that he had to shame the crowd into participating. It’s bad enough that he still has to tell his players to huddle with and support each other on the floor. For a few minutes there he was commanding everyone except the refs and Cincinnati and I was thinking that he was losing his mind. But then it started happening and it was great; it would have been an epic win imo, because he single-handedly willed it to happen.

Calhoun always spoke about the power of believing and he gave a great speech to that effect when he introduced KO as head coach. And for a couple years that team got by simply because they believed.

Somewhere along the way we all stopped believing—the coaches, players and fans.

When that madman almost conjured a win from sheer force of will today, I started to believe again. It was fleeting, but it was there. I am convinced he will do anything and everything he can to win, and eventually we will again. Because he believes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
^This
That is so not true. The crowd was loud at every opportunity throughout and remained standing at least the last 5 minutes. They were cooking at the end of the first half and was ready to go at the start of the 2nd but the team let then down. But the they got cooking again. Hurley was riding the wave. I'm calling shenanigans on anyone minimizing how good the crowd was today.

Reaction Score
How about any Big East game at Gampel?
Louisville 2014? Florida 2014? Texas Boatright's senior year?
Put a big game in Gampel with a competitive UConn team and it will rock.

UConn vs Syracuse in 2012 at Gampel is the single best sports environment I’ve ever been a part of.

I’ve been to Yankees/Red Sox games, Bruins and Celtics playoff games and I’m a Georgia football season ticket holder.

This is the reason I’m so passionate about playing more games at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Then you weren't paying attention. If your point is that people complained less about the XL when it was the brandy new Civic Center, I agree. Time gets us all eventually.

Building opened in 1975. We weren't dominating until the late 90's when it was >20 years old.

My point was that when you WIN, people complain rarely. When you lose, people complain about everything and anything.
If we dominate the AAC, you'll hear more noise from the crowd about the game than
about the games location.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That is so not true. The crowd was loud at every opportunity throughout and remained standing at least the last 5 minutes. They were cooking at the end of the first half and was ready to go at the start of the 2nd but the team let then down. But the they got cooking again. Hurley was riding the wave. I'm calling shenanigans on anyone minimizing how good the crowd was today.
I agree that the crowd was good early and was ready to go in the second half until the team did what we’ve come to expect and started to tank. Then it got silent and disinterested, just like those of us watching at home. When we got it back down to ten points Hurley visibly egged on the crowd for several minutes and urged them to stand up and cheer, and it worked.

Reaction Score

The crowd was loud all game, but they only stood and got super loud when Hurley instructed them. That was somewhere around the five minute mark. CV had tried a little earlier

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
That crowd rocked. Rarely hear that kind of jet engine roar at Gampel.
Strange, for me. All the games in Hartford on my TV I barely heard anybody. Today, my TV was roaring. I could not believe the crowd. I am starting to think CBSS has terrible audio. This is the first time I heard XL rock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom