We pretty much shredded the much bally booed press. | The Boneyard

We pretty much shredded the much bally booed press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As long as we don’t dribble too much we are a fantastic press break team. Karaban and Jackson are great passers with size. Newton can get a little sloppy but as long as we move the ball we litterally can’t be pressed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
An attacking offense turned the press into dunks. Nice to see.
We opened the game by mincing it for an easy basket. Every time they brought it back we did the same. Pitino didn’t even run it most of the game. We ran a clinic on beating it with pace leading to easy baskets.

Reaction Score
Andre might be the best press breaker I’ve seen in college basketball. The combo of speed and vision makes him really hard to contain.
Wish what’s best for him but he’d be what we need next year.

Reaction Score
Sanogo/Jackson had a few awesome plays breaking it. Must have been a bit demoralizing for the other team

Reaction Score
I guess you weren't around for the Dream Season.

The team with 3 NBA players and Nadav on the roster? We were more talented than all but a handful of teams in the country. We played in the best conference in the country. That's not a remotely relevant comparison to Iona.

Reaction Score
First, it’s easier to slow down a team than speed one up. I am expecting a rock fight.
And brilliant move by Coach to have Andre inbound the ball then get it back in different spots which we got fast break hoops off. Pitino then took off the press and only used it when Andre was out. We go as Andre goes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The team with 3 NBA players and Nadav on the roster? We were more talented than all but a handful of teams in the country. We played in the best conference in the country. That's not a remotely relevant comparison to Iona.
It’s was also a zone press. While we could pick guys pockets, what I remember most was the way we invaded the passing lanes. It was a wild defense and one that could work against motion offenses in ways man presses won’t against good players.

Reaction Score
It’s was also a zone press. While we could pick guys pockets, what I remember most was the way we invaded the passing lanes. It was a wild defense and one that could work against motion offenses in ways man presses won’t against good players.

I've watched every game of that season that has been posted online probably a dozen times. My AAU mentor worked for Calhoun back when his teams were pressing so much. I LOVE pressing. Anyone who would suggest we weren't more talented than all but a few of our opponents is out of their mind.

Reaction Score
It didn’t even really occurred to me that Iona pressed. If they did, it was not impactful

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They’re a MAAC school.

Their press isn’t even a tiny bit ballyhooed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is our identity. We need to rebound aggressively on the offensive offensive and defensive boards. And off those defensive rebounds we need to get out in transition.

Reaction Score
I've watched every game of that season that has been posted online probably a dozen times. My AAU mentor worked for Calhoun back when his teams were pressing so much. I LOVE pressing. Anyone who would suggest we weren't more talented than all but a few of our opponents is out of their mind.
You two are kind of both right. Looking back years later, UConn was very talented. But Calhoun pressed because he said on paper we definitely were not more talented than most of the Big East. Syracuse, Georgetown and St John’s were all more talented. You could also make an argument that PC and Seton Hall were too. UConn’s press was a difference maker in several of those games versus more talented teams. We would not have beaten them playing their game. UConn needed steals to convert easy points and more shots to offset the talent gap. And - it worked!

Reaction Score
Henefeld made that press special.
He was smart enough to recognize when a ball handler was limited as to where he could go or pass by the sideline, mid-court line, and one or two defenders and was ready to intercept passes made out of double teams or a simple man to man press.

Reaction Score
It was a great time to hold a student season pass to Husky basketball

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What Iona press? That was a half arsed effort by a team that looked like they were trying it for the first time. Much like UConn when they tried a zone this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom