We picked the all-time starting 5 for UConn women's basketball | The Boneyard

We picked the all-time starting 5 for UConn women's basketball

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
AUTUMN JOHNSON | SEPTEMBER 5, 2020

Happy Labor Day everyone. Here is some fodder for the Boneyard faithful to gnaw on today from NCAA.COM.

Along the programs' successful journey, some of the most notable names in basketball have put on a Huskies jersey. UConn has had 38 players drafted into the WNBA, 14 of which were selected to the league’s All-Star Game, and four of which went on to win the league’s MVP award. Nine UConn players have won at least one gold medal at the Olympics.

NCAA.com analyzed each position to create an all-time starting five for UConn's women's basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't argue with that starting line up. In a team of 12, who are the additional 7 one would pick to fill out an all UConn team?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She excluded a few decent players who might be ok reserves. . Svetlana, Shea, Tiffany, Stefanie just to name a few.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I can't argue with that starting line up. In a team of 12, who are the additional 7 one would pick to fill out an all UConn team?

That’s what i said in the other thread. The bench is the hardest to pick IMO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok, maybe the most interesting exercise now is to pick the top 5 (+7) team taken from the pool of all the non UConn teams (from 1985 forward) and then get the teams playing. Does the rest of the BB world have a chance?

Reaction Score
One player I want on my team, who coming off the bench will give me great rebounding, leadership, grit, and will bang heads with anyone..............................my favorite (not the best) player ever.................................Jamelle.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Ok, maybe the most interesting exercise now is to pick the top 5 (+7) team taken from the pool of all the non UConn teams (from 1985 forward) and then get the teams playing. Does the rest of the BB world have a chance?

Lisa Leslie, Cheryl Miller, Sheryl Swoopes, Katie Smith, and Lindsay Whalen.
Bench: Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker, Teresa Edwards, Cynthia Cooper, Sabrina Ionescu, EDD, and Sylvia Fowles.

Not 100% that I'd start Whalen over Edwards or Ionescu. Also, maybe Dawn Staley instead of Cynthia Cooper. Maybe. Also, maybe Jennifer Azzi over Katie Smith.

Reaction Score
For the next five: Lobo (you cannot not get her in the mix), Sales (it shouldn't be forgotten how good she was), Jefferson (if you have a chance to have Mo as your point guard, take it), Cash (she could do so much so well), Collier (she did her job as well as about anyone). This five would be really entertaining watch!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hold on 1 darn second. The BY has been picking UConn’s all-time starting 5 and/or Mt Rushmore for over a decade now. I’m calling out the NCAA for plagiarism.......

OD, I admit to posting this as a bit of a tease. When I read it, I knew it would cause a stir. It's something to discuss on a slow day here in the yard. The boneyard collective will NEVER agree on the THE BEST starting 5 players to play fro Geno, or the 5 best players regardless of position.

You're right, we do this every year. I've yet to see any group of 5 come close to being agreed on by at least 90% of the participants in the discussion. Everyone has their favorites. One would think Diana Taurasi should be on everyone's top 5. After all, she is considered the GOAT of the program, and thus should be given the recognition and respect that comes with it. Geno on Diana: "The greatest teammate ever."

Hard to believe, but some folks don't have Maya or Stewie on their top 5. :eek: Dee, Maya and Stewie are on MY Mt. Rushmore. We can't even agree on the four faces on UConn's Mount Rushmore. There are just too many great (and some very good) players that have come through the program to narrow it down to five. We can't even agree on who the starting 5 should be on THIS team. What's a yarder to do? :confused:

For those who can't make up their mind, perhaps this replay of SNY's "Best of the Best" will help refresh your memory. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely! Slim and none. :)

Reaction Score
That's exactly the five I picked. Except for head coach - I'd go with CD, after 30+ years she is, after all, undefeated !!
And 12 National Championships for CD!

Reaction Score
I would go by NC and only their play at UConn. After their last 2 years at UConn and winning 4 NCs Moriah and Morgan both deserve it. A 2 time AA AND 3 time NC KML. A 2 time AA and winning 2 NCs Stephanie Dolson. The 95, 96 and 97 WCBB Players of the Year Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti and Kara Wolters with 1 NC. These 7 players were important for their NCs and 3 NPOY how can they not be on!

Some UConn players that were great but couldn't win the big one don't belong here. Collier and Samuelson IMO.
HM: Sveta Shea Swin Bria Aisha Rene.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It is worth noting that all five of those five starters picked could play with each other today. They are all active...Bird and Taurasi are in the twilight of their careers. Tina Charles is not far behind but still has a few good years left, Maya has taken off two seasons and there is some question on whether or not we will see her in uniform again but there is no doubt that if she were to put on a uniform her skill level would still be there. And, of course, Stewie is just getting started.

Reaction Score
Again, who was better, Musial, Williams, Clemente, Snider, or one hundred other great players who played during our youth. Jim Brown or Tom Brady. If you lived in the fifties or sixties I'm sure the majority of the answers would be Brown. Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzoti, Kerry Bascomb. People who saw them during their career might very well choose one of them. This is a never ending question with never ending answers but they are fun and give us a break from the Jumble or Gunsmoke.

Reaction Score
Never saw her play, but from what Geno and others have said, Kerry Bascomb should be one of the reserves. Nykesha Sales, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Swin Cash, Shea and Mo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom