We need to take a breath..... | The Boneyard

We need to take a breath.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all need to take a breath and back off from the ledge. I am as die hard a UCONN fan as anybody, but I think the 4-0 start (now 4-1) got us all a little ahead of ourselves. We all knew there were going to be challenges going into this season, even before Coach Calhoun retired. Those challenges/facts still remain with Coach Ollie, and will be there for most the season. Some may even take a couple recruiting classes to fix.

1. Lost 5 players early (2 to the draft, 3 transfers). 4 of which we all assumed would have heavy rotation this year.
2. Post-season ban
3. Long-term coaching instability being used against us in recruiting (Calhoun & now Ollie).
4. 6'4""/6'5"" and under, we can compete with anybody and in most cases, are better
5. 6'5" and above, we are average at best -- rebounding was going to be an issue

We can't change those facts this year. It is going to be a work in process this year. There will be highs & lows. Our entire team is learning on the job this year. Coach is learning the nuances of being the lead guy and the players are learning how to follow a new leader. I think the team will continue to follow Coach's lead and try to outwork everybody. We can't out talent people this year. I don't doubt for a second that they will be better come February than they are right now in November. The wins & losses may not reflect that, be we are building for the future right now. I would gladly have a year or 2 of average, but improving results, for another run like Coach Calhoun gave us.

We are not the 1st top tier program to go through this type of rebuilding/transition stretch. You can look as recently as Indiana, UNC, and Kentucky. They are all now better off having dealt with the transition & growing pains.

We have been spoiled for the last 20 years and it has been great. This is now our time to rebuild and ready ourselves for the next 20 years. As painful as it can be, sometimes you have to take 2 small steps back to make 5 giant steps forward. Myself, I am looking forward to the ride.

Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
You know, I don't see as much overreaction and ledge-jumping around here as I expected.

Reaction Score
I think it will be almost impossible to overreact with this team. The expectations of the fans are different from the rankings out there. To a large extent this is a 'practice season' with all underclassmen (sans Evans) and a new coach, and no postseason. Its kind of stress free for once.

Reaction Score
You know, I don't see as much overreaction and ledge-jumping around here as I expected.

You have Shabazz Napier's heroics against Quinnipiac to thank for that. Most of the board is able to stomach last night's loss. Losing to QU however...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You have Shabazz Napier's heroics against Quinnipiac to thank for that. Most of the board is able to stomach last night's loss. Losing to QU however...
The sad things is when they jump it doesn't end their suffering. Or ours either.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom