We need to stop playing ring around the rosey outside the 3 pt line | The Boneyard

We need to stop playing ring around the rosey outside the 3 pt line

Reaction Score
We are wasting way too much time on the shot clock with all these dribble hand offs and not being aggressive enough. Get into the paint or drive baseline and then dish or kick it. RJ Cole did that once at the end of the game when we drove baseline and kicked it too Martin for 3. Gaffney did that twice to Sanogo for baskets. They need to do that throughout the game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
That ring around the rosey is another UConn tradition for years. To include our bigs playing defense on top of the key which leads to drives and ack door.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley needs to call someone up who knows how to run/coach an offense. Because he doesn’t know how to. It’s clear.

I'm honestly curious what you're seeing on the floor if this is your takeaway or it's just fans being insufferable. Did you want more Whaley isos from the wing maybe?

They were playing without one of the most dynamic scorers in college basketball. That's a big loss. You coach the personnel you have available. If they were going to steal this one it was going to be with defense and rebounding, and they came close for about 35 minutes.

They couldn't manufacture enough points to keep up with Creighton down the stretch. Without Bouknight they're limited in terms of guys who can manufacture points. It's genuinely bizarre to me that you think today's game means Hurley can't coach offense.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I’m not a Xs and Os guy but are opponents just scouting us better so Polley isn’t getting looks? Seems like he had more open shots a few games back.
However FT was improved so there’s that.

Reaction Score
I’m not a Xs and Os guy but are opponents just scouting us better so Polley isn’t getting looks? Seems like he had more open shots a few games back.
Definitely part of it. More defensive attention and more awareness/tracking of him. He's also been guarded by mostly smaller guys the last few weeks, and he doesn't shoot it well when a guy is up in his grill. And he's too big and slow to go by those smaller guys. And he can't post them up. And he's not a great passer. And so he can't do anything.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm honestly curious what you're seeing on the floor if this is your takeaway or it's just fans being insufferable. Did you want more Whaley isos from the wing maybe?

They were playing without one of the most dynamic scorers in college basketball. That's a big loss. You coach the personnel you have available. If they were going to steal this one it was going to be with defense and rebounding, and they came close for about 35 minutes.

They couldn't manufacture enough points to keep up with Creighton down the stretch. Without Bouknight they're limited in terms of guys who can manufacture points. It's genuinely bizarre to me that you think today's game means Hurley can't coach offense.

The weave is a practice drill it’s not an offense to run in d1 or even d3 level basketball.

Watch teams like creighton and nova and how they move the ball.

If you can’t create off the dribble you create with the pass. Dribbling around and handing backwards, 30 feet from the basket is not offense

Reaction Score

Obviously it’s difficult without Bouk but even with him, Hurley’s offensive a scheme is so vanilla. And having Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo catch the ball at the top of the key is just not it, they don’t know what to do with the ball up there. The weave is overused, not much cutting besides an occasional back cut, and doesn’t use a man at the free throw line enough. Only running plays to get Polley open for a 3 just isn’t enough.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The high weave is designed to bleed down the clock and shorten the number of possessions on the game.

Hurley is on record as saying he wants games on the 60's (At least while Bouk is out).

I do agree once Hurley loosened the reigns with about 5 min to go in 5 glad offense went much smoother rest of the game.

First 15 minutes were painful to watch.

Polley either needs to sit or Hurley needs to figure out how to get him open.

I am a big fan of what Polley's 3's do for the team, but he has done nothing with rebounds, steals, assists, whatever. One nice block today.

Sanogo is going to be special. His shot is so soft and he can get it off at will. Huge, solid base for guards and wings to give entry passes.

If teams are going to give Whaley wide open threes, fire away. He made two today and I would think is easily a 30% or better shooter. I wouldn't be surprised if could shoot 35% from there in games.

Gaff was almost getting in to a groove when he tweaked his ankle/foot/leg.

Martin and Cole still making so many mistakes when they get near the rim.

Reaction Score

Just not a fan of standing around for 20 seconds (neither is Donny Marshall apparently) and then doing absolutely nothing with that possession. Why can’t we move the ball more? Why can’t Hurley seem to get a play off for his best 3 point shooter to get open? Instead he’s getting the ball with a hand in his face and putting it up- that’s NOT his game. The defense is not good enough of late to allow our offense to play pass with each other for 20 seconds and then score under 70 points. All I hear is we don’t have Bouknight, but that doesn’t prevent Hurley from trying to beef up the offense with better offensive play calling. Haven’t seen it yet.

Reaction Score
The weave is a practice drill it’s not an offense to run in d1 or even d3 level basketball.

Watch teams like creighton and nova and how they move the ball.

If you can’t create off the dribble you create with the pass. Dribbling around and handing backwards, 30 feet from the basket is not offense

Yeah you're right without Bouknight they don't have quite the ball movement of #3 Villanova. As far as Creighton, they were straight up for about 35 minutes.

Saying "create with the pass" is completely meaningless without accounting - again - for the people you have available to play.

Maybe it's me. I just find the takeaway that Hurley can't coach offense to be monumentally insufferable after a game like today. This fan base managed to flip the switch from beaten down to incredibly spoiled faster than I thought possible.

Reaction Score

Pretty much this. Without Bouk, there is really no one on the team that is going to break down the defense off the dribble, so I'm not sure why people are expecting that to happen. It's just not part of their skill set.

Reaction Score
Yeah you're right without Bouknight they don't have quite the ball movement of #3 Villanova. As far as Creighton, they were straight up for about 35 minutes.

Saying "create with the pass" is completely meaningless without accounting - again - for the people you have available to play.

Maybe it's me. I just find the takeaway that Hurley can't coach offense to be monumentally insufferable after a game like today. This fan base managed to flip the switch from beaten down to incredibly spoiled faster than I thought possible.
Pretty much this. Without Bouk, there is really no one on the team that is going to break down the defense off the dribble, so I'm not sure why people are expecting that to happen. It's just not part of their skill set.
Carlton can't pass or playmake, Sanogo can't really pass or playmake yet, Polley can't pass or playmake, Gaffney thinks for 2 seconds before passing or playmaking, Cole has a hard time passing through/around defenders but at times can playmake, Adams can pass when he doesn't puts his head down on drives, Whaley can actually do both but he's been playing 35+ minutes a game and has a lot of muscle on his frame and gets tired, Akok can't pass or playmake.

Bouk and Andre should be able to pass and playmake (at least eventually for Andre), but they're both hurt.

We don't have the roster at the moment to play that way. We need to win with defense and playing matchups.

Reaction Score

I'm convinced a lot of posters don't know what they're watching. We're playing with a starting backcourt that doesn't have the necessary skills/ability or confidence to break down a defense, they are serviceable but they can't make many plays to get guys easy looks. They don't have one of the best players in the nation, they don't have their best passer/athlete, and they don't have one of the best shotblockers in the nation from last year. The offense has to work from the inside out as we did but Sanogo is the only capable scorer down low, he's going to be a beast. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Polley is the anti-Bill Bradley. If you remember him(played at Princeton and later for the Knicks), he excelled at moving without the ball. Polley does not do that well, if at all.

The other problem is that Cole is short and has trouble seeing over defenders. This makes it difficult for him to see open players. So even if Polley or any other player is open, his field of vision is limited by his height and inability to find the open man.

Reaction Score
Polley is the anti-Bill Bradley. If you remember him(played at Princeton and later for the Knicks), he excelled at moving without the ball. Polley does not do that well, if at all.

The other problem is that Cole is short and has trouble seeing over defenders. This makes it difficult for him to see open players. So even if Polley or any other player is open, his field of vision is limited by his height and inability to find the open man.
Cole is the same height as Taliek and Shabazz - the #1 and #3 all time assist leaders. Height isn't the issue

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You don't need a dribble heavy offense to get decent shots. We are going to be a big underdog to Creighton without Bouk, but the offensive problems go back to last season.

The dribble handoffs by bigs above the 3 point line are just stupid. it creates an easy trap for the other team, and if the big rolls and gets the pass (which never happens) he is still 15 feet from the basket so he is just taking a jumper rather than in a position to score. Our best case on that play is Cole dribbling out of a trap and starting the offense again with under 20 seconds on the shot clock.

We never go inside. It is really easy to play gap defense on penetration when there is no one inside.

We have the wrong people taking shots and the wrong people getting minutes. Adams and Gaffney are shooting in the 30's from the field. It is time for them to get a yellow light on their shot selection.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
No Book, no offense

It's not Rocket science, not enough options

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

One of the most fundamental tenets of good offense is not letting one defender guard 2 players. Guess what the weave does?

If you can’t win off the bounce you need to create it with good passing and off ball movement. Running the weave is the absolute last thing to run without bouk. You do that when you have a bouk.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They were doing this to deliberately kill time today to keep the ball out of Creighton’s hands.

Have they changed the rules of basketball? I thought each team got the ball an equal number of times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom