We need Boatright | The Boneyard

We need Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm really hoping Boat is cleared soon, we will be a completely different team with him. Having Lamb play point guard really hurts his game and our overall game. Shabazz and Lamb are also simply playing too much and having to carry too much of the load. We will become much more of a running team once he suits up and it should really help our bigs.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
dam right we need him, and soon!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I agree ... and I'm kind of surprised Allen didn't play more.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lamb didn't come out the whole game. Should've played Allan some more and yes boatright back ASAP

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping Boat is cleared soon, we will be a completely different team with him. Having Lamb play point guard really hurts his game and our overall game. Shabazz and Lamb are also simply playing too much and having to carry too much of the load. We will become much more of a running team once he suits up and it should really help our bigs.

I was thinking the same thing. It will really help to have another ball handler, especially such a quick and explosive one, to bring the ball up and help initiate the offense. I'm not sure if it was just fatigue or what, but Lamb pulled a Stanley Robinsonesque disappearing act for a good portion of the second half. A second ball handler would help to break a press, and would also allow Lamb to get down court a grab a quick rest without having to worry about taking the ball up (a la Shabazz stepping in to allow Kemba to grab a quick breather as the 2 last season). DD needs to attack the defense off the dribble a bit more (right now he's doing to much of that Giffey catch and pass without ever attempting to put the ball on the deck). I'll say this though, DD sure has a sweet stroke from range. It looks like we'll be much more well balanced from three point range this year (We'll definitely hit more than 1 during the Final Four this year).

Also, what happened with AD at the end of the second half in terms of minutes? I thought he was having a pretty impressive game, and should have been rewarded with more playing time in order to help him to grow in confidence.

Reaction Score
you can look at our team like its the mega-zord from power rangers the first movie. They made the mega-zord without the white ranger and it was good, but then the white ranger added his zord. After that it became the ultimate machine. we need him.

Reaction Score
I'm very concerned about the minutes Bazz is playing. Wagner pressed UConn all night long and Bazz had to work very hard. By the end of the game, JC played him off the ball to rest him like he did with Kemba last season. He also subbed him in on offense, and out on defense.

We need to get Boatright back before the Battle of the Atlantis. No way Bazz will be able to log the type of minutes he's playing now on back to back to back nights.

Reaction Score
I agree that Napier is playing too many minutes, and that Lamb is being asked to do too much bringing the ball up the court. We could definitely use Boatright. However, I believe this could be a blessing is disguise for this team. I feel that it is good to put us in some different situations and let different players play different roles, that way when we get into foul trouble or have an injury (heaven forbid) we can be more prepared as a whole. This is making our team better and more prepared for the future and Big East/Tournament play. All in all, I am really excited to get Boatright into the mix because I think he could be just the catalyst that sparks this team to the next level.

Reaction Score
There is so much going on w/ the team right now with lineups, new personnel, JC tactics, etc., that it's wonderfully dizzying to watch these early games. I'm eager for Boatright to check in, too. I will say this: Right now if we took a poll, there would be a lot of us saying that Shabazz looks the best/most complete/confident so far.

Not as many people as normally would be are complaining about his shot selection right now. He's getting that time (as the Man) and confidence now, and maybe he wouldn't be if RB was competing with him.

The only one getting as much ironclad PT right now is Lamb. TO looked great against Columbia; Daniels is suuuuper-composed and navigating JC's frothy early-season whitewater (disgusting sounding, i know) much better than AO, AD, and Roscoe. Anyway, like I said, fun but crazy watching these games this time of year. Fun to see the puzzle pieces compete under the tutelage of the mad coach.

RE: energy. Kemba didn't tire till the 2nd half of the Arizona game. Napier's still a young pup. I'm not worried yet!

Reaction Score
I think we're expecting too much too soon from Boatright. PG is the toughest position to learn and Boat is used to being a scorer. He could see the hook quite a bit if he's not doing what JC requires.

Reaction Score
I think we're expecting too much too soon from Boatright. PG is the toughest position to learn and Boat is used to being a scorer. He could see the hook quite a bit if he's not doing what JC requires.
All Boatright has to do is handle the ball and run the offense for 10-15 minutes a game and we immediately become a better team, simply due to the fact that Napier and Lamb will be fresher. Anything else he gives us would be a bonus.

Reaction Score
I'm not.
Think about it. The Wagner guards were giving Shabazz a good working over all game. They forced 6 turnovers on him alone. They applied 40 minutes of close-contact D.
If you put in the walk-on, he gets annihilated.
It's like D-Bev last year - the guy played great against big guards, and turned it over regularly against small ones.
Allen has a really high dribble from what I can see - needs to get his hands closer to the floor.

Reaction Score
+1 Why do people expect freshman to be saviors? Bazz needs relief and help, which is all RB needs to supply. Wagner figured out that they must cut off the head of the dragon (Bazz), and we looked awkward with anyone else playing point. Ryan should help here because we need a 2nd ball handler, not to challenge/push Bazz but to help and compliment him, and certainly spell him.

Reaction Score

This is and understatement! Agree 100%...With RB we have that 2nd ball handler with quickness that can create...JL is not a PG...

Reaction Score

Is it just me?

Or did some of you also get the feeling that Roscoe looked like a player unsure of which role to play.

He didn't appear to have much energy.

Just my opinion, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wonder what Giffey's fit is right now more than Smith's. I think Giffey has to be the energy guy because it's going to be hard for him to get many minutes at the 2, especially when Boat gets back.

I agree that Allen's lack of PT was probably due to fears of how he would handle the on-ball pressure Wagner was putting on which, once again, was really something to watch. Man, Hurley can friggin' coach.

Reaction Score
It was reported that "Bazz was fighting the flu. He looked winded last night, but he took over down the stretch when everyone else stood around. Giffey is not at full strength, TO was gassed and RB is on the sidelines. And still they responded pretty well to the Sea Hawk onslaught at the end. JC says he wants a commitment to 40 minutes from them, so he's not buying fatigue. Thursday should be interesting!

Reaction Score
We need Boatright right now. I wish we played Allen more cause we will need the kid at some point. We should learn from CUSE and add up to 10 kids as walk-ons. CUSE is doing that right now. Walk-ons' APR do count for the team so we need to pick kids with good grades. This is a loophole and we need to exploit like every all other programs out there.

Time to free Ryan Boatright.

Reaction Score
There is so much going on w/ the team right now with lineups, new personnel, JC tactics, etc., that it's wonderfully dizzying to watch these early games. I'm eager for Boatright to check in, too. I will say this: Right now if we took a poll, there would be a lot of us saying that Shabazz looks the best/most complete/confident so far.

Not as many people as normally would be are complaining about his shot selection right now. He's getting that time (as the Man) and confidence now, and maybe he wouldn't be if RB was competing with him.

The only one getting as much ironclad PT right now is Lamb. TO looked great against Columbia; Daniels is suuuuper-composed and navigating JC's frothy early-season whitewater (disgusting sounding, i know) much better than AO, AD, and Roscoe. Anyway, like I said, fun but crazy watching these games this time of year. Fun to see the puzzle pieces compete under the tutelage of the mad coach.

RE: energy. Kemba didn't tire till the 2nd half of the Arizona game. Napier's still a young pup. I'm not worried yet!
I agree, the byproduct of no RB is Bazz is getting a lot of PT and is forced to play through his mistakes and continue to develop his game.

As for him being young and OK playing so many minutes, I'm not so sure. I had great seats last night, 5 rows from the floor, and Bazz looked spent at the end of the game. JC had Lamb bring up the ball late in the game and let Bazz rest along the sideline during a number of late trips down the floor. During the last few minutes of the game, he subbed Bazz in on offense but out on defense, and it was more due to fatigue than match-ups.

With that said, he played very well. Handled the ball pressure throughout the game. Reminded me a little of how Kemba looked last season, having to play some yeoman minutes, but still seemed to perform at a high level even when gassed. The problem here, is we're just 2 games into the season. It will take its toll on him if he has to continue to play this much, especially in the Bahamas where it's 3 games in 3 days.

Reaction Score
Expecting too much, like playing? Maybe some are expecting a lot. I think he's very talented and will help this team on and off the ball. What they need most from him, is another guard who can spell both Bazz and Lamb so that those two can play at a very high level when they are out there. I'm hopeful that Ryan can run the half-court well enough that they get off good shots and don't end up with a long string of empty trips down the floor.

Maybe I'm over estimating what he'll be capable of, but I think this team will be greatly improved once he plays his way into the rotation. It's more a chemistry thing that will make all the parts work better.

Reaction Score
From all accounts RB will be a lot like Bazz was last year. He can shoot- distribute the ball and break down the other team in the half court.

That all we need from him- 15 minutes. I think it will make all the difference in the world- imagine Kemba playing with only D Bev to back him up last year- it would have been a whole different team.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
you can look at our team like its the mega-zord from power rangers the first movie. They made the mega-zord without the white ranger and it was good, but then the white ranger added his zord. After that it became the ultimate machine. we need him.

Yeah, totally!

Wait, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member