We need a current UConn player to be a NBA star player | The Boneyard

We need a current UConn player to be a NBA star player

Reaction Score
Thats the one thing missing from the past decade. I guess Kemba & Drummond are the closest. I'm hoping Sanogo or Hawk can be elite at the next level, but I'm not sure. Hawk needs another year of development (physically and mentally) to be able to have an NBA impact, imo. I hope he doesnt turn into a Bouknight who wasnt ready.

Reaction Score
Bouk rocking his UConn uni for the game shows love and maybe some buyer’s remorse in leaving so early. I say we don’t need stars to keep the program running. It needs to happen organically like under Calhoun. We just need to win. Have a type of game that wins but looks fun to play. And a monster fan base. UConn nation showed up every game. Every where. We are a lot bigger a fan base than most,even I , thought. Otis don’t hurt though. Castle is coming

Reaction Score
It's still a 2 yr college career and head to the Pros league. Having UConn have their players in the Show is the best recruiting strategy!

Reaction Score
I think Hawk can be a star in the new style NBA, but I'd like to see him take another year to get stronger and work on his overall offensive game. He's amazing from three, but can improve in other aspects.

Reaction Score
Kemba and Drummond count as NBA stars I would say. Both multi-time All-stars, both made All-NBA, etc. If you are looking for one of our players to become a bigger star than that, it's going to be hard. There aren't many superstars of that level, and some of them don't go to college. Not every big basketball school is going to have a guy like that in recent history. Look at UNC for instance - blue blood, lots of recent on-court success, lots of NBA draft picks, but their best current NBA player is Cam Johnson (role guy, will likely never make an Allstar team).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hawkins needs to fully grow into his body but he should be a very good NBA two guard. If Bouk gets things in order, he still has a chance at becoming a good pro as well. I'm convinced that he needs both a change of scenery and a lightbulb moment.

Sanogo needs the correct situation but he can be a very useful NBA player if he lands in the right spot.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hawkins needs to fully grow into his body but he should be a very good NBA two guard. If Bouk gets things in order, he still has a chance at becoming a good pro as well. I'm convinced that he needs both a change of scenery and a lightbulb moment.

Sanogo needs the correct situation but he can be a very useful NBA player if he lands in the right spot.
Tyrese Martin probably has a better shot at a longer NBA career than Bouknight at this point.

Hawkins needs to go since he’s projected first round. Get the bag. He’ll do better than Bouknight because he’s a pure shooter and has a level head.

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins could be a very good NBA player. Kind of like a later career Ray as the 2nd or 3rd guy on a good team scoring 17-20ppg as a knockdown shooter.

Reaction Score
Depends on the team he goes to, he would be horrid on Charlotte. Why, because everyone is horrid on Charlotte. Don't draft Hawkins MJ.
Agree. IMHO Charlotte is a place where promising careers go to die.
Of all the Huskies who have been drafted there or briefly touched down there , I can't think of one who went on to build a career, post Charlotte. Kemba's body was literally used up. Likewise Mek. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Drummond fared better in Detroit where they decided to groom him and ease him into the rotation as a young rookie.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Depends on the team he goes to, he would be horrid on Charlotte. Why, because everyone is horrid on Charlotte. Don't draft Hawkins MJ.

MJ is cashing out on his Charlotte investment. Going forward that shouldn't be an issue.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think Jackson has a lot of potential due to his unique skill set and great defense. Kind of make a name for himself like Marcus Smart (with a different offensive skill set, of course).

Maybe not an NBA MVP level guy, but definitely someone even casuals know, probably makes all star games and on all NBA defense team.

If Hawkins is on a contender I think he could be in the same boat as someone who can make a name for himself that even the casuals know, even as just a sharpshooter.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Sanogo is interesting… I think he can play the 4 in the NBA. Really hope he gets drafted and is given a shot.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the NBA is migrating towards seeing the value of inside play again. Embiid's likely MVP will be a move in that direction. The Cleveland Cavaliers are the 4th best team in the East leaning heavily on an inside game.

Brook Lopez or Al Horford are good models for what Sanogo could be at the next level. Sanogo has to speed up his 3 point shot release, but pro teams will work with him on that. The important thing is that he can hit that shot now. He is shorter than those two, but he has long arms so he should be able to defend.

Reaction Score
For Sanogo it will be about Fit and trust. He will have to show he can cover Stretch 4s on the perimeter.

I personally just question weather his defense will be good enough to put him at the five position in the NBA

Reaction Score
Don't look now, but Bouk might just be starting to figure things out. He's been up with Charlotte much more frequently than he was last year, and his playing time has increased. He just had his 2 best back-to-back games (see screenshot). Still a work in progress at the NBA level obviously, but I'm hoping that he's turned the corner and has left some of the maturity concerns behind him.

Here's some highlights from his recent games:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-05 085547.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-05 085547.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 52
Reaction Score
I think Hawkins could be a very good NBA player. Kind of like a later career Ray as the 2nd or 3rd guy on a good team scoring 17-20ppg as a knockdown shooter.
I’m thinking more one dimensional like Allan Houston which in itself is good as they were smith g the elite Knick teams if the era. Needs 20 lbs of muscle though.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I’m thinking more one dimensional like Allan Houston which in itself is good as they were smith g the elite Knick teams if the era. Needs 20 lbs of muscle though.
Already a better defender than Houston…..

Poe

Reaction Score
I don’t know if a star is needed (a this point a starter would be nice), but we do need to get bodies into the NBA at a consistent level again.

Bouknight and Martin are a nice start. If Hawkins, AJ and Sanogo all make it, that would be even better, with Clingan, Karaban and Castle in the pipleline.

Hurley can tell recruits, hey 7-8 recent former players are in the league, another reason to come to UConn. Particularly if those recruits are in the 25-100 range.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if a star is needed (a this point a starter would be nice), but we do need to get bodies into the NBA at a consistent level again.

Bouknight and Martin are a nice start. If Hawkins, AJ and Sanogo all make it, that would be even better, with Clingan, Karaban and Castle in the pipleline.

Hurley can tell recruits, hey 7-8 recent former players are in the league, another reason to come to UConn. Particularly if those recruits are in the 25-100 range.
We start getting recruits in the 1-10 range, problem solved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom