We need a bait and switch detector | The Boneyard

We need a bait and switch detector

Reaction Score
How often do you open a thread, particularly a long thread, and find that the discussion has long ago migrated to something far from the topic? Then you have to tediously page back until you find the last relevant (to topic) post and work backward from there.
An automatic bait and switch detector would come in real handy. Any volunteers to write the impossible software? Head bang

On a serious note though some threads become just too darn big to be useful (to me) especially when the topics are too broad. The most common examples are the recruiting threads. Grouping several players into one thread makes it nearly impossible to look up information on any one of them.

So, in summary I'm for more specific posts and sticking to the title topic.:)

Reaction Score
I can understand your point, but sometimes the asides are so damn interesting. And then there are thne ones that are so far afield that you wonder, fascinated, how they ever got from there to here.:p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I purchased and installed a couple new ceiling fans last year and they're very nice. :rolleyes:

the-ceiling-is-the-roof-according-to-michael-jordan-RHOMd.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought this was gonna be about the click bait thread titles.

Reaction Score
How often do you open a thread, particularly a long thread, and find that the discussion has long ago migrated to something far from the topic? Then you have to tediously page back until you find the last relevant (to topic) post and work backward from there.
An automatic bait and switch detector would come in real handy. Any volunteers to write the impossible software? Head bang

On a serious note though some threads become just too darn big to be useful (to me) especially when the topics are too broad. The most common examples are the recruiting threads. Grouping several players into one thread makes it nearly impossible to look up information on any one of them.

So, in summary I'm for more specific posts and sticking to the title topic.:)

Easy software--either -or -not----Either me or an guy with a towel or a few others --tend to find
extraneous subjects within the subject--just say not when you see who posted last.
But, I would assume this is not localized on me and a few others.

I do wonder how football gets such a play in UConn Women's basketball?????

Reaction Score
Hosting a picnic tomorrow.

Anybody got a good potato salad receipe?
My recipe --I wrote it and wiped it out--there must be 999 exactly like it---add mustard--.

Tell the number of people expected--for quantities of potatotes, egges, etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To attempt a return to the original post topic, there is just such a detector already in place: The Replies counter. It works as follows:
> 5 replies to an OP you are assured that at least one post has strayed off topic.
> 20 replies = two completely unrelated topics have taken hold
> 50 replies = the original topic has long since been forgotten
> 100 replies (and not locked) = the moderators have already fired off three or four 'watch your step' PMs due to posts drifting into either politics or personal attacks which have been deleted meaning some responding posts are already quite meaningless.
> 200 replies = The following topics will have surfaced already and accumulated at least 20 responses: UNC sanctions (see above already), TN, DD, Uconn being about to go on a minimum of two years winning streak, the height of a current or former Uconn player, the MVP of the Uconn program, and next years starting Uconn lineup.
> 500 replies = the moderators have gone on strike because the thread should have been locked two weeks ago!

(I rather like the recruits/signees threads as they are a running account of lots of minor things occurring with the prospects and incoming class - whenever really newsworthy stuff happens we end up with at least one new thread on that player.)

Reaction Score

Tip - leave out the potatoes. Sorry, I just have no use for them.:D

Reaction Score
Tip of the hat to you guys who made an almost instantaneous shift off topic.:p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tip of the hat to you guys who made an almost instantaneous shift off topic.:p
Anyone know where the phrase "tip of the hat" came from?

Are you sure it isn't "tip of the cat?"
Feral-Cat-Colony-Quick-Tips.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I know I'm late, but I like beauty in simplicity, and this is simple -- maybe you can use it later.

Potatoes
mayonnaise (Seidner's was perfect, but alas hasn't been available for a couple of decades)
salt, pepper, paprika, parsley
onion
hard boiled eggs (optional)

Boil potatoes till done, peeling is optional
Cut into 1/2-1" dice
add mayo, enough to coat all the potato and stick it together, more if you like it really gushy
Cut the end off an onion, and run a knife along the cut to get some juice into the salad (knife perpendicular to the cut surface, scrape parallel to the surface); cut off another 1/4" and repeat till there's enough onion flavor*
Add salt, pepper, and parsley to taste
Garnish with paprika and egg slices

*I don't like crunchy stuff in my "salads" (tuna, potato, chicken, etc.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know I'm late, but I like beauty in simplicity, and this is simple -- maybe you can use it later.

Potatoes
mayonnaise (Seidner's was perfect, but alas hasn't been available for a couple of decades)
salt, pepper, paprika, parsley
onion
hard boiled eggs (optional)

Boil potatoes till done, peeling is optional
Cut into 1/2-1" dice
add mayo, enough to coat all the potato and stick it together, more if you like it really gushy
Cut the end off an onion, and run a knife along the cut to get some juice into the salad (knife perpendicular to the cut surface, scrape parallel to the surface); cut off another 1/4" and repeat till there's enough onion flavor*
Add salt, pepper, and parsley to taste
Garnish with paprika and egg slices

*I don't like crunchy stuff in my "salads" (tuna, potato, chicken, etc.)

Way way way too complicated for me...... whenever I want potato salad.... I just head to Ms Winners (Fried Chicken Chain) and get an order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom