We may never win again | The Boneyard

We may never win again

Reaction Score
Geno can recruit. Geno can develop players. But in close games, I don’t feel confident.
He refuses to use TOs in the 1st half. He’s stubborn in many ways.

Tonight. azura played 27 minutes out of45. Walker played zero. No screens set for Lou in 2nd half. Very little hi-lo v zone.

We should’ve been up double-digits at half. He refused to use a USE IT or LOSE IT timeout ALL YEAR.

And it looked to me Collier refused to pass to an open Lou ... but if I have the stomach to watch the game again, I can confirm it then

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looks at the thread title

953.gif

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, despite the "lackluster" season, Geno improved his winning percentage since the team won 97.3% of its games. If the Red Sox played .973 ball this year...

Reaction Score
I mean, I guess it's technically true, but is also true for every other program.

Kind of meaningless.

Reaction Score
Geno can recruit. Geno can develop players. But in close games, I don’t feel confident.

Tonight. azura played 27 minutes out of45. Walker played zero. No screens set for Lou in 2nd half. Very little hi-lo v zone.

We should’ve been up double-digits at half. He refused to use a USE IT or LOSE IT timeout ALL YEAR.

And it looked to me Collier refused to pass to an open Lou ... but if I have the stomach to watch the game again, I can confirm it then
Been watching Uconn-Notre Dame for years. The one constant I have seen is Muffit McGraw knows Geno better than any other coach. She usually out coaches him.

Reaction Score
I guess we have “GoUconn7961” at one end telling everyone to calm down, it’s only a game and we always have next year and “huskyblooz” at the other end of the spectrum suggesting the team may never win another close game again. I think most of us are somewhere in the middle Still trying to comprehend what happened.

Reaction Score
I guess we have “GoUconn7961” at one end telling everyone to calm down, it’s only a game and we always have next year and “huskyblooz” at the other end of the spectrum suggesting the team may never win another close game again. I think most of us are somewhere in the middle Still trying to comprehend what happened.
We know what happened. Same $H! T different year.

Reaction Score
She doesn't do it all the time - no one could. And there were plenty of years when UCOnn simply was on a higher level than ND and was not going to lose no matter what. But I think that was can be said is that if anyone could come up with a strategy to use limited resources and beat UConn., it's probably Muffet.

Reaction Score

There is no USE IT OR LOSE IT time out. You get 4 for the entire game.
Why did he need to call a time out ? They were down 13 and took a 7 point lead?
They lost because they missed shots.
If they shot the way they did against South Carolina they win by 15.

Reaction Score
She doesn't do it all the time - no one could. And there were plenty of years when UCOnn simply was on a higher level than ND and was not going to lose no matter what. But I think that was can be said is that if anyone could come up with a strategy to use limited resources and beat UConn., it's probably Muffet.
We should have made our open shots and didn't, and Nurse missed multiple bunnies, but I didn't like the calls against us and the no calls against ND late in the game. Young lowered her shoulder a couple of times going up for shot, and no call, while Azura got nailed with an offensive foul doing the same thing and I don't blame Geno for going off on the refs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Been watching Uconn-Notre Dame for years. The one constant I have seen is Muffit McGraw knows Geno better than any other coach. She usually out coaches him.
Too bad she gets beat so often by other coaches. 11>1.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
She's done more with less over the years, knows how to prepare her team against UConn better than any other coach Geno faces, always knows what Geno will throw at them.

Does more with less? She gets plenty of great recruits and coaches at the second biggest money making school in the NCAA, and in a P5 conference.

Knows how to prepare her team better against UConn than any other coach Geno faces? OK, but she ought to, considering she's played against him more than any other coach.

Always knows what Geno will throw at them? See above.

Sorry, but when you lose almost two out of every three games in a series, you're not outcoaching your opponent. It also took a mini win streak of 7 of 8 games when she had a bad matchup problem for UConn with one player just to get close to one out of every three games won.

I will acknowledge that Geno got outcoached last night. There's no question about that. It happens to the best on rare occasions.

Reaction Score
Does more with less? She gets plenty of great recruits and coaches at the second biggest money making school in the NCAA, and in a P5 conference.

Knows how to prepare her team better against UConn than any other coach Geno faces? OK, but she ought to, considering she's played against him more than any other coach.

Always knows what Geno will throw at them? See above.

Sorry, but when you lose almost two out of every three games in a series, you're not outcoaching your opponent. It also took a mini win streak of 7 of 8 games when she had a bad matchup problem for UConn with one player just to get close to one out of every three games won.

I will acknowledge that Geno got outcoached last night. There's no question about that. It happens to the best on rare occasions.
You don't understand, they knew each other very very well even before both became head coaches, were both trained and mentored by the same people. The old pictures they showed yesterday of Geno and Muffet together with Geno wearing the Notre Dame shirt was funny. I think on certain occasions she knows what he's going to do even before he knows. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Parity at the Top is the answer to your questions. A reality check is the other strong Colleges and University Women's Basketball Programs are getting and holding onto just as good, if not better talent, as UCONN is presently getting. The recent track record of UCONN recruits leaving during or after 1 season is NOT a good sign for Geno or the program. It is apparently scaring off some top notch recruits. This is not to say that UCONN will not get their fair share of really great High School BBall talent. They will and they always will. But programs like Notre Dame, Baylor, South Carolina, Texas, and Louisville (who, I think is going to be very dangerous over the next several years, and to who rumors have it that they will land Aubrey Griffin for the incoming Class of 2019). Then you have those West Coast Teams, such as Oregon, UCLA and others who are taking the "International Approach" in recruiting.

Reaction Score
But in close games, I don’t feel confident. We should’ve been up double-digits at half. He refused to use a USE IT or LOSE IT timeout ALL YEAR.

What is YOUR record in life? I'll bet not one "equivalent achievement" to a national title. Not even close, I'm betting. Geesh!

Reaction Score
Parity at the Top is the answer to your questions. A reality check is the other strong Colleges and University Women's Basketball Programs are getting and holding onto just as good, if not better talent, as UCONN is presently getting. The recent track record of UCONN recruits leaving during or after 1 season is NOT a good sign for Geno or the program. It is apparently scaring off some top notch recruits. This is not to say that UCONN will not get their fair share of really great High School BBall talent. They will and they always will. But programs like Notre Dame, Baylor, South Carolina, Texas, and Louisville (who, I think is going to be very dangerous over the next several years, and to who rumors have it that they will land Aubrey Griffin for the incoming Class of 2019). Then you have those West Coast Teams, such as Oregon, UCLA and others who are taking the "International Approach" in recruiting.
Scaring off recruits? Hmm..... Next year Uconn gets #1 and #5. Scared??? Um No.

Reaction Score
Scaring off recruits? Hmm..... Next year Uconn gets #1 and #5. Scared??? Um No.

Yes, for the Incoming Class of 2018, we do have the # 1 and # 5 recruit coming in (they committed awhile ago). But start looking at who Louisville, Notre Dame, Oregon, South Carolina and Texas has marked to come in for 2019, 2020, and 2021. (and I didn't even mention MSS with their recruiting class added to AEH transferring out of UCONN)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

No such thing this season, all 4 carried over I believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom