We lost because....... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We lost because.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The one stat I haven't seen mentioned is ND had 16 assts. on 29 baskets and Uconn had 13 on 31. Very un-Uconn like.

How 'bout this stat courtesy of Rich Elliott and Bob Joyce: Before hitting those two huge 3s in OT, Brittany Mallory was 1-15 on 3-pointers in the NCAAs and had missed 14 straight. As Geno said, they let the right player take the shots. This is what makes sports so fascinating.

Reaction Score
It was a really great season and a gutsy team with a short bench achieved more than I expected.

Geno is too classy to say it, but the game came down to us (in his past words) "playing like our hair was on fire" toward the end of the game.

A more experienced and deeper team will overcome that next year.

I can't wait !

If they didn't play like there hair was on fire they would never have come as close as they did..
Geno said it right ,it was his fault why didn't he have a post player in at least one and why was Doty in..If you saw the picture in the Courant she was laying on the ground and why does he have a Freshmen in at a time like that and why didn't he call a time out when we scored

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If they didn't play like there hair was on fire they would never have come as close as they did..
Geno said it right ,it was his fault why didn't he have a post player in at least one and why was Doty in..If you saw the picture in the Courant she was laying on the ground and why does he have a Freshmen in at a time like that and why didn't he call a time out when we scored
She was lying on the ground because she had been bowled over by Diggins trying to get a charge.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the replay of the game and there was no way that the ref was going to call a charge on Diggins. Faris (or was it Dot?) was already falling backward before any contact was made. Had she remained vertical she may have drawn a charge.
Well you said it. It was a foul but they werent going to call it. Thanks. IMO if the same play occurred and a UConn player tried to block Skylers shot and touched her the refs wouldve called a foul or not???? I think they wouldve called the foul. Its too bad much like the Baylor TN game a few years back with .002 sec left and they called a foul that wasnt committed.

Reaction Score
I went crazy during the last few minutes of regulation time that I thought we had won the game. And then for the few last seconds, everything went right and then wrong. And so we lost, time to move on. But I am with TonyC on this. Refs were not calling any foul at the end of the game particularly against ND.

Reaction Score
She was lying on the ground because she had been bowled over by Diggins trying to get a charge.

if you had the right people in it wouldn't have mattered if Doty was on the ground..what was she doing there she can't rebound, she didn't belong in the game..you had 5 guards in there what were they going to do and then lewis gets boxed out because she is inexperienced

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
if you had the right people in it wouldn't have mattered if Doty was on the ground..what was she doing there she can't rebound, she didn't belong in the game..you had 5 guards in there what were they going to do and then lewis gets boxed out because she is inexperienced
Lewis did not get boxed out for inexperience, she made a decision to cover McBride and Mallory both of whom were spotting up. When Mallory turned towards the basket and Diggins committed to the hoop she correctly went to the hoop there was no opportunity box out. If she had not given coverage to the spotters the game might have ended in regulation.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We lost because were young and ND is led by seniors. Next year with the experience from this year we'll be ready.

Yeah, all that and missing the last reboun. That's all---just one freakin' rebound.

Reaction Score
Lewis did not get boxed out for inexperience, she made a decision to cover McBride and Mallory both of whom were spotting up. When Mallory turned towards the basket and Diggins committed to the hoop she correctly went to the hoop there was no opportunity box out. If she had not given coverage to the spotters the game might have ended in regulation.

does it really matter if Lewis got boxed out or not she was behind her and Doty was on the ground and there wasn't any post player in the game which even Geno said himself that he made a terrible mistake and didn't have any post players in.i can't talk about what mite have happen but what did happen and weather we like it or not Geno made a big mistake and he admitted it

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
does it really matter if Lewis got boxed out or not she was behind her and Doty was on the ground and there wasn't any post player in the game which even Geno said himself that he made a terrible mistake and didn't have any post players in.i can't talk about what mite have happen but what did happen and weather we like it or not Geno made a big mistake and he admitted it

I think all of your 5 sides are negative. They lost. Geno was protecting his players as usual.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is it possible that Geno simply didn't want the players to carry blame into the off season?

Reaction Score
I'm completely satisfied with Geno's decision. It could have worked out, it just didn't. Diggins could have been called for the charge. If Doty didn't fall down, she might have been called for a block. If a post player was in the game, she could have been called for a foul on Diggins' drive. The layup under the basket could have been missed by Mallory, she was in a bad position under the basket to take the shot. If a post player was in the game, Diggins might not have driven and instead sunk a short jumper. The real reason we lost the game is we didn't score enough points. Larry, if you told us all this stuff before the game, we probably would have won.

Although I'm disappointed that we lost, I'm happy that it was a good game, worthy of a semi final matchup. We'll get 'em next year.

Reaction Score
It was the best semifinal game in a long time by far. Either team could have won or lost during the final few minutes of regulation time. I thought we lost and won in matter of seconds. So we lost because of a rebound missed, did not call TO, replaced Stokes with Doty, etc..ND played well enough to win. End of story.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand that but wanted to correct the misstatement about KML's position because there was a legitimate reason for her position and inability to box out Mallory. If Kiah was on the floor, however, if she was in Doty's poisition she blocks Diggins shot and there never is a rebound or if she is anywhere down low she simply rebounds the ball over top of everyone on the floor with her size and reach. Even in KML's position Kiah has no problem out out rebounding Mallory.

Geno took responsibility no matter what woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Reaction Score
I understand that but wanted to correct the misstatement about KML's position because there was a legitimate reason for her position and inability to box out Mallory. If Kiah was on the floor, however, if she was in Doty's poisition she blocks Diggins shot and there never is a rebound or if she is anywhere down low she simply rebounds the ball over top of everyone on the floor with her size and reach. Even in KML's position Kiah has no problem out out rebounding Mallory.

If, if ,if , if Maya was playing we would win by 10. cmon, how do you know Stokes would be in position to block Diggins shot,
noone was outrebounded on that last missed shot it skimmed the rim and fell into the hands of a ND player who was not in a good rebounding position she was under the basket and the ball fell into her hands, Why does somebody have to be to blame ? Unfortunate
yes, blsameable no.

Reaction Score

this is history and they learned and only way you learn is with misstakes and this goes for Geno and the coaches too
niece talking wit you have a good EASTER

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
21 turnovers and sending ND to the line too much. ND shot twice as many free throws and made twice as many free throws. Had TOs and fouls been kept lower UCONN would have won.

Reaction Score
I'm completely satisfied with Geno's decision. It could have worked out, it just didn't. Diggins could have been called for the charge. If Doty didn't fall down, she might have been called for a block. If a post player was in the game, she could have been called for a foul on Diggins' drive. The layup under the basket could have been missed by Mallory, she was in a bad position under the basket to take the shot. If a post player was in the game, Diggins might not have driven and instead sunk a short jumper. The real reason we lost the game is we didn't score enough points. Larry, if you told us all this stuff before the game, we probably would have won.

Although I'm disappointed that we lost, I'm happy that it was a good game, worthy of a semi final matchup. We'll get 'em next year.

i guess iam angry because i watched N.D. play and they played like a bunch of people who were intimadated by one person and i know Uconn would not have been intimadated no matter what.. there mind set is different
if Geno would have asked me i would have told him, but iam not in the same league as him.iam just a monday morning quarterback with a big mouth

hope you have a good EASTER

I saw Muffet on a interview and she was very upset and crying for her players especially the ones leaving.i kind of feel sorry for her..she is a class act

Reaction Score
21 turnovers and sending ND to the line too much. ND shot twice as many free throws and made twice as many free throws. Had TOs and fouls been kept lower UCONN would have won.

notre dame used there strength by driving to the basket ,thats what they do in all there games and they know what we are going to do before we do it

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Geno simply didn't want the players to carry blame into the off season?

i don't think you understand Geno you don't think of the off season when you are in the final four you are taking a lossing attitude.you didn't get with worrying about the off seson..Geno admitted he was wrong and that take a BIG MAN to do that..he will be back bigger better than before
have a good EASTER

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
notre dame used there strength by driving to the basket ,thats what they do in all there games and they know what we are going to do before we do it

Baylor only committed 9 fouls against ND. I suspect that the game earlier in the year where Baylor sent ND to the line 28 times was a learning experience that paid dividends in the championship game.

Reaction Score
Baylor only committed 9 fouls against ND. I suspect that the game earlier in the year where Baylor sent ND to the line 28 times was a learning experience that paid dividends in the championship game.

intimadition is a great tool and when your big person gets in foul trouble like N.D. did, thats the end and add to it what they learned from there last game thats the being of the end.to many factors against N.D. your right

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Somebdy said that "Notre Dame wanted it more." I will never buy that. Not for a moment.

Another commented about our "weak senior leadership." Ditto.

Still another: It was the refs. Ridiculous.

Mallory made two treys in the clutch that she normally misses.

I'll stick with Vince Lombardi's line: "We didn't lose the game. We just ran out of time!"

Reaction Score
Somebdy said that "Notre Dame wanted it more." I will never buy that. Not for a moment.

Another commented about our "weak senior leadership." Ditto.

Still another: It was the refs. Ridiculous.

Mallory made two treys in the clutch that she normally misses.

I'll stick with Vince Lombardi's line: "We didn't lose the game. We just ran out of time!"

i like that saying and you are a 100percent right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom