we lose a game like this each and every year | The Boneyard

we lose a game like this each and every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
without exception

we lose a conference road game we think we should win at the beginning of January every year since the dream season (there may be an exception or two)

the most memorable one for me? when Marq destroyed us in their conference opener, a home opener for them

some white dude couldn't miss

sometimes I can't wait for March, but I've learn to enjoy the ride (well, not entirely and not always, but you know what I mean)

rematch is circled BTW

Reaction Score
The 2011 National Champs got annihilated by a mediocre SJU team. happens. This was a perfect storm and will be a great coaching tool for JC.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall outplayed us, shot lights out and we didn't. They were also able to turn us over with good D. Every time teams shoot lights out against us all I can think of is Lindsey Hunter.
It isn't the end of the world but i thought some TO's in the first half were called for.

Reaction Score
The 2011 National Champs got annihilated by a mediocre SJU team. happens. This was a perfect storm and will be a great coaching tool for JC.

Do we really want another 9-9 regular season? Kemba Walker will not be there to regroup them for March if that happens.

Reaction Score
not gonna overreact. all of our great teams since 99 have laid eggs, and in the end its largely irrelevant

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm surprisingly calm right now and was throughout most of the game. Bazz was getting on my nerves but that's really all. I'm thinking/hoping that this will be a game where Calhoun can use it to wake these guys up for the stretch run.

Reaction Score
Travis Diener I believe.

Nah, I think it was Steve Novak, whose on the Knicks now actually. Strictly a 3 point shooter, as he did in that game as well, but damn he could hit them.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
without exception

we lose a conference road game we think we should win at the beginning of January every year since the dream season (there may be an exception or two)

the most memorable one for me? when Marq destroyed us in their conference opener, a home opener for them

some white dude couldn't miss

sometimes I can't wait for March, but I've learn to enjoy the ride (well, not entirely and not always, but you know what I mean)

rematch is circled BTW
Of course I usually don't have the pleasure of sitting in the middle of opposing fans for them.

Reaction Score
not gonna overreact. all of our great teams since 99 have laid eggs, and in the end its largely irrelevant
14 point loss at home to St Bonaventure in 2002...won the BET and elite 8 that year. It happens I guarantee Uconn wins by double digits when they play again later. People write the season off after games like this because thats the easy thing to do. Uconn does have some holes right now but i think a lot of it is mental. Im not worried yet

Reaction Score
Do we really want another 9-9 regular season? Kemba Walker will not be there to regroup them for March if that happens.

Thank you for your brilliant insight. I saw no one say anything about "wanting" a 9-9 regular season record again this year. Fact is, seemingly every year we the bed in a game much like this one and often times it is irrelevant. OSU has 3 losses right now I believe, Louisville 2 losses, among one or two other top 10 teams that have 2 losses. This will be a game for JC to use as a teaching tool and hopefully it will put a chip on the shoulder of this YOUNG (keyword: YOUNG) team. As mentioned quickly on the post-game show... much of the game we had 3 freshmen and 2 sophs on the floor. Seton Hall is more a veteran team, and experience is going to make a big difference in some games like this.. until our freshmen continue to learn how to play within the system and the entire team gels together they way I think they will by season's end.

If there is one thing that I hope JC takes away from these 3 games is that Giffey NEEDS to be in the game much more than Calhoun has had him involved thus far this season. Not only is the kid very good from 3, but he hustles his *ss off and is a "glue" player as described in the past. We need this type of player in the mix with the "potential" stars that we have that can't seem to find their perfect fit within the team (i.e. Drummond, Lamb, etc. are all superb and show spurts of stardom, but we can't seem to find a perfect balance for them all within the team... glue players like Giffey help bring everything together in my opinion). Bottom line: Giffey has brought nearly nothing but positives to the table and it is time for him to get back in the mix the way he was last year.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

My guess is Kemba won't be there to regroup the team in March, regardless of the team's record.

Reaction Score
When we look back at this loss, it's not going to look all that bad. SHU is a much better team than people realize and I think will finish in the upper third of the BE. If that turns out to be the case, a loss on their home court where they are currently undefeated isn't as bad as it people are making it out to be.

SHU played very well. The refs allowed them to bump and reach in but to their credit they took advantage of it. UConn never responded to the way the game was being called. Bazz really struggled with the ball...I think it's partly because he's really banged up (wrist? foot? both?). The Pirates shot lights out from deep. We shot like from any location on the floor. The Pirates defending like their lives depended on it. Our defense was spotty but our rebounding was worse. They out-rebounded us 32-29 and 13-9 on the offensive glass which is unacceptable. I don't know how many 2nd chance baskets they scored, but it sure seemed like plenty.

What's good about this loss is JC can point to the lack of fundamentals and effort on the glass among other shortcomings to get them to play like they did last year. They're not the high effort team we saw last March. It's a classic JC coached team that doesn't realize how hard they can play early in the season. I hope he gets their attention and they come out with greater fire. What's funny about this game was how one of the areas that I hoped for improvement was to start the game with more energy. Well they sort of did that but then got flattened like road kill when Seton Hall began their come back and never looked back. It is hard to believe the team we saw for the last 35 minutes was the same team we saw for the first 5.

Bottom line, 2-1 start w/out JC, I'll settle for that. There's a lot of ball to be played. No team has won the NC in early January. Let's not lose perspective here.

Reaction Score

Here are the last three games I attended:

Georgetown at UConn, late December 2008
UConn at St. John's, early 2011
UConn at Seton Hall, tonight

Reading the tea leaves: I suppose it augurs well for our March/April prospects? Tonight reminded me very much of the SJU game at MSG last year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
16-17 from the line, Giffey's 2011-12 breakout, and (is this last one really true?) 13 TO's in the first half & 14 for the game.

See, it's not so bad.

Reaction Score
Giffey sure is a bright spot and this will be the game we will all look back on if he breaks out....but completely agree with this thread overall, a loss in early January to a what i believe is a tournament team is not that big of a deal. if anything, it has exposed some issues with this team and will hopefully help to resolve them and help refocus and motivate the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom