We knew Boise would be brutal | The Boneyard

We knew Boise would be brutal

Reaction Score
But. . . . wow.

Over 800 yards of offense. Even their backups made us look like Pop Warner.

Holding them to a FG on their 1st drive was the highlight of the night. The rest of this fiasco was one big blur.

Never seen a team get beat so badly on both sides of the ball on every single play so consistently.

It’s gotten so hard to be a fan of this program - to see where we once were and to endure every bad thing that’s happened to us since 2010, now to the point where people want the program shut down or returned to FCS status so basketball can go to the Big East again, and you see less and less leverage as to why they shouldn’t do that. I’d never jump ship, but not sure how much longer we’ll have a ship.

URI next week will say a lot about this team. I’ll be there loud and angry. We need something to build on. To feel remotely good about. Anything. Time for this team to sack up and resemble a football team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We knew it would be brutal but knowing it and watching it are two different things.
Boise had the benefit of tape that showed how limited we are this year (not that they learned much new - stop pindell and throw deep).
The big difference between this team and two top 20 teams is speed and strength. You can't scheme your way out of that. It take years to build that up through recruiting, redshirting and conditioning.
Our O and D Lines were completely overwhelmed. We gave up 20, 30 or more yds after contact on many running plays. Couldn't stay with recievers on deep routes.

We know now how far we are below the top tier teams. While the rest of the schedule is not as brutal as the first two games we will get a more realistic view of where we are over the next two weeks.

Reaction Score
I knew it would be brutal our defense is not coached right. My high school defense was better than them last night. We really need a defensive coach that is defensive minded. Betty Crocker is a crock of . I’m betting Edsall will change things up and hopefully fire him

Reaction Score
I knew it would be brutal our defense is not coached right. My high school defense was better than them last night. We really need a defensive coach that is defensive minded. Betty Crocker is a crock of . I’m betting Edsall will change things up and hopefully fire him

I doubt you were playing 15 year olds against 19 year olds in HS. That is the equivalent of what we are trying to do this year.

Reaction Score
I doubt you were playing 15 year olds against 19 year olds in HS. That is the equivalent of what we are trying to do this year.
Actually I was sixteen playing against 18 year olds and yes we could hold our own

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geesh, just stop. No one is, or at least no one should be, surprised that the UCF and Boise games were brutal. The moment that the schedule was set these two bloodbaths were preordained. It sucked, but let's put it behind us and hope the guys can as well.

As much as it pains me to sound like Red Pants, our season starts Saturday. We will know a lot more about who we are after the gun sounds. Squeak by and we're in trouble. Win decisively and maybe we will compete the rest of the year.

Let's spare ourselves a week of bitching. We know practically nothing about this team until URI.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Geesh, just stop. No one is, or at least no one should be, surprised that the UCF and Boise games were brutal. The moment that the schedule was set these two bloodbaths were preordained. It sucked, but let's put it behind us and hope the guys can as well.

As much as it pains me to sound like Red Pants, our season starts Saturday. We will know a lot more about who we are after the gun sounds. Squeak by and we're in trouble. Win decisively and maybe we will compete the rest of the year.

Let's spare ourselves a week of bitching. We know practically nothing about this team until URI.
I want to believe what you say, but would any other AAC team have lost these two games like we did? No.

Youngstown State would have given Boise a better game than we did.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I want to believe what you say, but would any other AAC team have lost these two games like we did? No.

Youngstown State would have given Boise a better game than we did.
Does it matter? We are young team of borderline D1 kids. It was always going to bloodbath. Let's see what we do against URI before we surrender.

Reaction Score

If you google “youngest college football teams in 2018” uconn shows up as one of the oldest with an average age of 23.1. Only 8 schools have an average age of players older than 24.1. Arizona State and Arizona are the only P5 schools with older teams.

Reaction Score
Does it matter? We are young team of borderline D1 kids. It was always going to bloodbath. Let's see what we do against URI before we surrender.
We hear that very year and then a bunch of guys go to the NFL.

Our players are NOT as bad as they are playing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

At our present level of ineptitude, there's a third possibility. We could lose to the Rams, they get to take the Ramnapping Trophy out of our trophy case in the sports museum, and back to Kingston with them.

Reaction Score
If you google “youngest college football teams in 2018” uconn shows up as one of the oldest with an average age of 23.1. Only 8 schools have an average age of players older than 24.1. Arizona State and Arizona are the only P5 schools with older teams.
Starters on defense most are 1st or 2nd year players.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We hear that very year and then a bunch of guys go to the NFL.

Our players are NOT as bad as they are playing.

Yeah one or two guys a class hanging onto NFL jobs means the rest of the players are better than they play.

Makes a ton of sense.

Reaction Score
The old saying "It's not about the X's and O's; it's Jimmy's and Joe's" was never more evident. One play stands out in my mind late in the 3rd Q. UConn had the ball, brought a receiver in motion from the outside to the corner on a run play to block the OLB. Everything went according to the scheme, except the OLB threw the blocker 5 yards and blasted the RB. The coaching was there. BSU just had an immensely better Jimmy.

This is a young team. A very, very young team. They were playing a top 20 team on the road. They were playing a team that needs to slaughter inferior competition to attempt to impress the voters and computer that gives as a default massive pop to P5 schools in the polls. They were coming off a beating from the team that was arguably the National Champion last year. What did anyone expect?

Only time will tell if the guys that HCRE has brought in have the mental makeup to take their lumps, learn from game to game, and move the program forward. But, IMHO, aside from HCRE's recruiting, it's up to Jimmy and Joe.

Reaction Score

I hope this was sarcasm because those numbers are very wrong. Think about it. Your average freshman comes in at 18 (sometimes 17) so he is 21 when his senior year starts. Your average redshirt senior probably wouldn’t even be 23.1 years old.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What pisses me off most is that randy didn’t light into his team after the game in his press conference. They need to hear that an effort like that is unacceptable. The number of false starts and missed tackles, running half heartedly towards ball carriers before making equally half hearted arm tackles is not just a talent issue. A wideout carried our entire defense ten yards down the field to the end zone. You mean to tell me that was our best effort? The level of play here is making 2016 look like fun

Reaction Score
What pisses me off most is that randy didn’t light into his team after the game in his press conference. They need to hear that an effort like that is unacceptable.

Gotta win the press conference...

Reaction Score
What pisses me off most is that randy didn’t light into his team after the game in his press conference. They need to hear that an effort like that is unacceptable. The number of false starts and missed tackles, running half heartedly towards ball carriers before making equally half hearted arm tackles is not just a talent issue. A wideout carried our entire defense ten yards down the field to the end zone. You mean to tell me that was our best effort? The level of play here is making 2016 look like fun

There was a ton of bad technique, but i think its more of a case of being shell-shocked, overwhelmed, and the game being too fast for them than not trying.

Reaction Score
I hope this was sarcasm because those numbers are very wrong. Think about it. Your average freshman comes in at 18 (sometimes 17) so he is 21 when his senior year starts. Your average redshirt senior probably wouldn’t even be 23.1 years old.

I have no idea whether these numbers are correct. I googled “the youngest college football teams 2018”. This information came from the first article that came up. It was a ranking of the average age of the players on each team. It’s possible that this site (Hero Sports) has an issue with certain teams or conferences.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom