We hired the wrong hurley !!! | The Boneyard

We hired the wrong hurley !!!

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
BBEB56FE-3876-494E-8701-06C622A1510A.jpeg

Reaction Score
We can still hire him (as an assistant once Kamani gets a HC job)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I keep wondering if Bobby would rather be an assistant here than a mid major HC. Might be fun with pops supporting the team as well. His ego probably wouldn’t allow it though.

Reaction Score
I keep wondering if Bobby would rather be an assistant here than a mid major HC. Might be fun with pops supporting the team as well. His ego probably wouldn’t allow it though.
lol, making 1/10 the salary of his brother? No way he would go for that.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
He's gonna be an awesome recruiter for big bro next year.
As much as I can’t stand Duke and never ever liked Bobby Hurley. I would welcome him as an assistant coach/recruiter with open arms.

Reaction Score
As beat them handily but beating UCLA was big.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He already was his assistant in the past, I highly doubt he would care about that. Usually guys that get fired don't immediately get hired that season. I was just making a joke but I don't think it's out of the question.

Reaction Score
What if he does get hired and they disagree with one another during the game? Siblings are more likely to do that, than non-relatives.

Is Bobby an emotional guy? I haven't really followed him or seen any in-game videos for him.

What a thread that would be for the BY, though.

Reaction Score
Kinda weird how no one seems to be talking about Arizona.

Highly publicized exit of previous head coach.

First-year with the new coach and they've got a top 5 ranking and are on track for a #1 seed. They are legit national title contenders.

So many programs struggle after moving on from an established coach but they've seemed to hit an absolute home run.

Reaction Score
Kinda weird how no one seems to be talking about Arizona.

Highly publicized exit of previous head coach.

First-year with the new coach and they've got a top 5 ranking and are on track for a #1 seed. They are legit national title contenders.

So many programs struggle after moving on from an established coach but they've seemed to hit an absolute home run.

He and Shaka are two of the reasons why I don't buy the "we're in a rebuild!" nonsense. You either win or you don't--period. I'm not nearly as down on this team as some of the lunatics on this board, especially after road losses vs ranked teams. But winning is winning is winning. Everything else is just fluff.

Roster turnover happens so quickly compared to the past. You can be a brand new team in a season or two.

Reaction Score
What if he does get hired and they disagree with one another during the game? Siblings are more likely to do that, than non-relatives.

Is Bobby an emotional guy? I haven't really followed him or seen any in-game videos for him.

What a thread that would be for the BY, though.
Emotional would be a good word to use :). They coached together at Wagner before he went to Buffalo and Danny to URI. If you have the time, check out the Hurley E60/30 for 30. I can't remember which it was. It was a good watch.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He and Shaka are two of the reasons why I don't buy the "we're in a rebuild!" nonsense. You either win or you don't--period. I'm not nearly as down on this team as some of the lunatics on this board, especially after road losses vs ranked teams. But winning is winning is winning. Everything else is just fluff.

Roster turnover happens so quickly compared to the past. You can be a brand new team in a season or two.
...I dear hope you aren't comparing UConn's situation after Ollie to Arizona's current situation.

There is a lot more nuance to a rebuild period than just either "buying it" or "not buying it". The level at which you have to rebuild from is too big of a consideration to stand on one side of the fence.

Tommy Lloyd took over from a team that finished 17-9 and 5th in the Pac-12. That's a little different than where we were at with Ollie.

Lloyd's rebuild at Arizona has been nothing short of extremely impressive, and unlikely, especially given the roster departures. But you can't just take two outliers like Shaka and Lloyd and discount all other rebuild periods as being nonsense.

Shaka is a big name guy- he brought in a solid recruiting class and some good, under-the-radar transfers. Again, still impressive the level of improvement in such a short time... but it's not the norm.

Reaction Score
LLoyd at Arizona, according to Wikipedia, was an assistant coach for a few years at Gonzaga and his specialty was international recruiting, and player development.

While at Gonzaga, he developed several players for the NBA, such as Turiaf, Adam Morrison, Jeremy Pargo, Austin Daye, Sacre, Olynyk, Kyle Wiltjer, Sabonis, Zach Collins, Hachimura, and Brandon Clarke.

So, he had a niche and was a good developmental guy, though no previous head coaching experience.

He did not exactly inherit a struggling team as far as I can tell from their record.

Who knows how a coach will turn out. Let's see what the rest of this season and a few more will bring.

Reaction Score
...I dear hope you aren't comparing UConn's situation after Ollie to Arizona's current situation.

There is a lot more nuance to a rebuild period than just either "buying it" or "not buying it". The level at which you have to rebuild from is too big of a consideration to stand on one side of the fence.

Tommy Lloyd took over from a team that finished 17-9 and 5th in the Pac-12. That's a little different than where we were at with Ollie.

Lloyd's rebuild at Arizona has been nothing short of extremely impressive, and unlikely, especially given the roster departures. But you can't just take two outliers like Shaka and Lloyd and discount all other rebuild periods as being nonsense.

Shaka is a big name guy- he brought in a solid recruiting class and some good, under-the-radar transfers. Again, still impressive the level of improvement in such a short time... but it's not the norm.

I'm aware the situations aren't comparable. I'm still tired of the "rebuild" nonsense. Every single player on this roster is someone Hurley chose to have on the roster. We've been ranked most of the season. We are not still rebuilding. Our roster is full of experience and 4-star players--exactly what you'd want in a team. If we are missing key pieces of a team like more ball-handling and shooting, that is Hurley's fault. Period.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately both Hurleys have the same ceiling. Danny has been able to recruit better just because of geography and brand, but they are both similar in game, unfortunately.

I wonder if Bobby will get canned this year, and Dan hires him on our staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom