We Have A Week To Get Ready | The Boneyard

We Have A Week To Get Ready

Reaction Score
There’s time to kill and it’s my favorite time of year when we’re in the tourney. So I’m wondering already about next season because I’m hearing here how next year we’ll have better talent. If we lose Cole, Whaley, and Martin what is our likely roster and talent wise how will we measure up against this year’s team? No Martin is walking through that door.
I’m of the opinion that Akok can not be a big factor and Hawkins will make a big jump up in production.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to say, there's at least 2 and likely more open scholarships still and we haven't been recruiting any freshman. So logic would say those spots will all go to transfers, hopefully ones who can make day 1 impact

Reaction Score
Sanogo and AJax will be our leaders. I expect AJax will drastically improve offensively in the off season and can actually be a go to option on offense next season. Kids a gym rat. Hawk will be a monster next season. Hopefully Gaffney can improve We also have a ton of young talent with Diggins, Johnson, Karaban, Floyd already there and Clingan coming in. I’m thinking 23-24 season we will be a top 5 team in the country.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Akok transfers after this season seems like he just isn’t part of the future plans.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking about this. If Cole, Polley, Martin, and Whaley are all gone, he are some lineup possibilities:

1. AJax
2. Hawkins
3. Floyd/Karaban
4. Samson/Akok
5. Sanogo

1. Gaffney
2. Hawkins
3. Ajax
4. Samson/Akok
5. Sanogo

Smaller
1. Gaff/Diggins
2. Hawkins
3. Karaban/Floyd
4. Ajax
5. Sanogo

If we lose all 4 guys, i think we have room for a portal add or 2 also. It could go one of many possible ways. It will definitely look different, and may even get a little weird.

Clingan will obviously play somewhere and sometime, but i cant realistically see a way to move Sanogo to the 4, unless his skillset changes a bit this offseason.

Looking back at these, if TM and RJ stay, we could be really good. If not, who knows ?

Reaction Score
If Cole and Martin leave, which is most likely the case, I think we take a step back next year as I see it as more of a transition year. Thats why last nights loss stings a little bit more, simply because we were all expecting this team to finally put it together and make a run. Now, we turn all of our attention to Sunday night to see where we go and who we play. There is more basketball to be played, but I hope we can take that next step and finally win a NCAA Tournament game for the first time in 6 years.

Reaction Score
It honestly depends on what we do in the transfer portal. I’m assuming Cole and Martin are moving on. We are going to need at least 1 impact guard. Whoever this year’s Kellan Grady is, we need him.

I think we’re going to be up and down until mid February which is when it usually starts to click for the freshman. Hurley just absolutely needs to hammer the portal and get the most talented guys out there.

Reaction Score
Sanogo and AJax will be our leaders. I expect AJax will drastically improve offensively in the off season and can actually be a go to option on offense next season. Kids a gym rat. Hawk will be a monster next season. Hopefully Gaffney can improve We also have a ton of young talent with Diggins, Johnson, Karaban, Floyd already there and Clingan coming in. I’m thinking 23-24 season we will be a top 5 team in the country.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Akok transfers after this season seems like he just isn’t part of the future plans.

Agree re 23-34. This team's greatest asset is that both Sanogo and Jackson are four year players. Sanogo could be the best center in the nation as a senior, and Jackson, if he develops right, will be a force with a chance to be a first rounder. Couple that with guys like Castle, Floyd, Diggins, Karaban, etc. etc. all having a little bit of experience. It'll be scary.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Cole and Martin leave, which is most likely the case, I think we take a step back next year as I see it as more of a transition year. Thats why last nights loss stings a little bit more, simply because we were all expecting this team to finally put it together and make a run. Now, we turn all of our attention to Sunday night to see where we go and who we play. There is more basketball to be played, but I hope we can take that next step and finally win a NCAA Tournament game for the first time in 6 years.
Absolutely.

Reaction Score

Agree here. But a real good grad transfer or transfer period I believe is a necessity especially if they both take off. Need DH to get back in that game.

Reaction Score
Hawkins, Jackson, and sanogo will be as good of a trio as anybody in the BE. Hope for one or Cole/Martin back.

I expect Samson, Karaban, and Floyd, at the minimum, to be the young guys in the rotation. Each can score and have had time in the system.

Would like to hit the transfer market for a stud primary ball handler (if the coaches don’t think Diggins will be ready). Also, either a sharpshooter or a big body that can control the paint when Adama needs rest (hopefully this will be Clingan and no transfer will be needed; not sure if she coaches see him as ready to play yet or not.) I say ‘either’ because I don’t think the staff will want to take in 3 transfers in one year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Cole is gone, our PG next year is not on the roster and Diggins is our backup.
Agreed. Diggins and Floyd should be battling for the backup role even if Cole is back. It’ll be interesting to see what Hurley does with Gaff, Diggins, and Floyd in the off-season in regards to roster formation

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I was just thinking about this. If Cole, Polley, Martin, and Whaley are all gone, he are some lineup possibilities:

1. AJax
2. Hawkins
3. Floyd/Karaban
4. Samson/Akok
5. Sanogo

1. Gaffney
2. Hawkins
3. Ajax
4. Samson/Akok
5. Sanogo

Smaller
1. Gaff/Diggins
2. Hawkins
3. Karaban/Floyd
4. Ajax
5. Sanogo

If we lose all 4 guys, i think we have room for a portal add or 2 also. It could go one of many possible ways. It will definitely look different, and may even get a little weird.

Clingan will obviously play somewhere and sometime, but i cant realistically see a way to move Sanogo to the 4, unless his skillset changes a bit this offseason.

Looking back at these, if TM and RJ stay, we could be really good. If not, who knows ?
Jackson can run the point if we surround him with shooters. Otherwise we need a guard who can get his own shot

Reaction Score
If Cole is gone, our PG next year is not on the roster and Diggins is our backup.
More than troubling. That means that right now we need 2 quality guards. I admit that I haven’t seen a lot of Diggins, but what I saw isn’t that great. Does Jackson have a stop and pop mid range jumper that isn’t a floater? I don’t think he can change his shot because it would have happened last summer, but even that said the kid is a huge asset. Can Karaban play 2 guard? I just rewatched his tapes and he has a nice handle but at his height he might get stripped.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any news on Floyd during practice? I’m hoping this year with the team makes him ready to make an impact. That’s huge as well.

Reaction Score
If Cole and Martin leave, then the only starters written in ink are Jackson, Hawkins, and Sanogo.

We should hit the transfer portal for a starting-caliber PG, or at least a backup-caliber PG if Cole stays. We can't count on a leap from Gaffney -- though I think he'll be a steady backup -- and Diggins may have just been a complete whiff.

As far as who plays the 4, I agree that Akok can't be counted on and would just be a bonus on the roster if he stays. It would be nice if we could get a legit stretch 4 in that role. Whaley has admirably added an outside shot and of course does all the little things, but we need more production from that position, especially if Jackson continues to be more of a distributor and not much of a scorer on his own.

This may be another portal option, to let Karaban and others ease into it, more like the Polley role for him.

Johnson and Clingan are better off as backup options at the 5, I don't want either of them playing alongside Sanogo.

Basically, I think we need to hit the portal for Cole and Martin's exact replacements.

Reaction Score
<snip> Basically, I think we need to hit the portal for Cole and Martin's exact replacements. <snip>
Given the potential firepower we have sitting at the 2-3 in Hawkins, Floyd and Karaban, I would suggest that an exact Martin replacement is very nearly the last thing we need. Hate to think of the congestion it would create at that position.

For the same reason, we can't have AJ logging 32 minutes at the 3, especially with likely open holes at the 1 and 4. Barring some tournament-class portal pickups, AJ is a good bet to be running the team from the 4 next year, with Gaffney the nominal PG.

Reaction Score
Agree here. But a real good grad transfer or transfer period I believe is a necessity especially if they both take off. Need DH to get back in that game.
Regardless of how a coach/staff feels about the portal, I think this off season is the perfect situation where we need to go that route. Too many unknowns going into next season.

Reaction Score
Given the potential firepower we have sitting at the 2-3 in Hawkins, Floyd and Karaban, I would suggest that an exact Martin replacement is very nearly the last thing we need. Hate to think of the congestion it would create at that position.

For the same reason, we can't have AJ logging 32 minutes at the 3, especially with likely open holes at the 1 and 4. Barring some tournament-class portal pickups, AJ is a good bet to be running the team from the 4 next year, with Gaffney the nominal PG.
I just checked Karaban and Floyd’s highlight reels and based on what I’m seeing they rarely miss any shots.

Reaction Score
I just checked Karaban and Floyd’s highlight reels and based on what I’m seeing they rarely miss any shots.
Do I correctly sense a bit of dislocated tongue here? Funny thing, we lament that we never recruit a shooter, then when we recruit a shooter on the clear evidence that he can shoot, we assume he can't shoot because he makes all his practice shots. It makes you appreciate the forum; you can't find this reasoning just anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom