We Have A Top 10 Team | Page 8 | The Boneyard

We Have A Top 10 Team

Reaction Score
If you are using the DePaul (#106) game as a metric in judging this team, especially in relation to Auburn, how does Auburn winning by 5 at USF (#241), or 1 at Mizzu (#138), or 9 at Ole Miss (#117) come into play?

I find it so strange that people expect to win road games in conference by 20 points.

Are we better than Auburn right now? I do not know, but we were absolutely the the better team that game. It was not some fluky win, UConn controlled that game for the vast majority of and should have cruised if not for some poor play and brain farts down the stretch

View attachment 72832

UConn may not be a top 10 team, they may be, but I 100% agree with @BigErnMcCracken that we have not played a team better than us to date.
Better team that game and better team in general are two different things. We shot the lights out that game. We have four losses, they have one. They are #1 because a lot of people that know college basketball think they deserve it and they have earned it by improving and not losing since that game. They have beaten Kentucky, Bama and LSU since then. We have beaten Marquette. This isn't difficult. I don't need a chart. Just need to take off my blue tinted glasses. Doesn't mean I don't think we are good. I don't think we should beat teams by 20 on the road, but it's ok to aknowledge that it wasn't our best game and we struggled to put the ball in the basket. We still won on the road while playing our C- game. Decent sign.

Reaction Score
If you are using the DePaul (#106) game as a metric in judging this team, especially in relation to Auburn, how does Auburn winning by 5 at USF (#241), or 1 at Mizzu (#138), or 9 at Ole Miss (#117) come into play?

I find it so strange that people expect to win road games in conference by 20 points.

Are we better than Auburn right now? I do not know, but we were absolutely the the better team that game. It was not some fluky win, UConn controlled that game for the vast majority of and should have cruised if not for some poor play and brain farts down the stretch

View attachment 72832

UConn may not be a top 10 team, they may be, but I 100% agree with @BigErnMcCracken that we have not played a team better than us to date.
Auburn was down a big player in that game, right?

Reaction Score
That's the narrative that some people continue to mention but it just isn't true. They were missing 6-6 junior guard Allen Flanigan. He was really good as a sophomore (14 ppg) but he's not starting this year and averaging less than 7 ppg. Other players have emerged ahead of him. Nice piece off the bench but he's not one of their better players this season.

Reaction Score
A guard who averages 6 points a game with a 1 to 2 assist to turnover ratio. He has a lower efficiency rating than Gaffney this year.. Keep grasping at straws.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Flanigan averaged 14 points last year and is slowly coming back. What would the boneyard be like if we didn’t have that type of player for half the season?
You can spin all the narratives you want, he's nowhere close to their best player this year. I'm sure their fans use it as the excuse why they lost to us, same as the Boneyard would. But that doesn't make it true. But if it'll get you to shut up I'll just say UConn sucks and move on

Reaction Score
Are Auburn, MSU, and Marquette better than us? Auburn, DePaul, and Marquette also had players out too.

If UCONN fans can spin losses because we missed players, then teams we played who were missing players can too.

If UCONN had who Marquette Auburn and DePaul did and they didn’t play, we’d spin it as much as possible. If people are gonna say we could be undefeated, well we’ve also been fortunate too

Flanigan averaged 14 last year. Morsel was the big 10 Defensive player of the year who ate our lunch in the tourney and up until the last month was Marquettes best player. And the conference leader in points per game was out in Liberty for DePaul
You seem to struggle with comprehending what people say.

You are using WV game as a barometer for the team, not sure why this being silly is difficult for you to understand?

You are asking if two teams we beat, neither at home, and are better than us?

Flanigan is averaging 6 points a game with a 1 to 2 assist to turnover ratio. He has a lower efficiency rating than Gaffney this year. Cool.

Very confusing post to try to talk other into sharing your opinion that UConn stinks. You have made your feelings clear on the team and DH, time will tell who is right, my guess is it not you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Better team that game and better team in general are two different things. We shot the lights out that game. We have four losses, they have one. They are #1 because a lot of people that know college basketball think they deserve it and they have earned it by improving and not losing since that game. They have beaten Kentucky, Bama and LSU since then. We have beaten Marquette. This isn't difficult. I don't need a chart. Just need to take off my blue tinted glasses. Doesn't mean I don't think we are good. I don't think we should beat teams by 20 on the road, but it's ok to aknowledge that it wasn't our best game and we struggled to put the ball in the basket. We still won on the road while playing our C- game. Decent sign.
Why reading is so difficult for some really makes me question my alma mater's education.

"Are we better than Auburn right now? I do not know, but we were absolutely the the better team that game." I said it for you, I do not need a paragraph to convince me Auburn may be the better team today.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Are we a top 10 team? we'll according to our ranking we are 20. Could we be a top 10 team if we win out in feb? Yes absolutely. Can anyone make that determination right now? Absolutely not. Can we use our Auburn game to dictate how good this team is right now? Likely not. Will people who post here do it anyway? Absolutely. Welcome to the boneyard enjoy your stay.

Reaction Score
We have not played a team that is better than us yet this year. The losses have been our own doing. I can’t be alone in feeling that way. It’s okay to think this team is better than “okay.”

Exactly. I don’t think there are that many good teams in college basketball. I’m watching this big stiff on Purdue and salivating thinking about all the posters we will put him on

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You can spin all the narratives you want, he's nowhere close to their best player this year. I'm sure their fans use it as the excuse why they lost to us, same as the Boneyard would. But that doesn't make it true. But if it'll get you to shut up I'll just say UConn sucks and move on
Lol fine I’ll take out “best player” but the point still stands. And why are you getting mad? All I did was point out he’s a very important and good player for them that they didn’t have.

Reaction Score
When they can make the 3 consistently and free throws down the stretch in clutch then I will consider them a contender for No 5..
Our great teams did both.
How many open 3s did we miss yesterday?
We are the best shooting team in the BE by the numbers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's the narrative that some people continue to mention but it just isn't true. They were missing 6-6 junior guard Allen Flanigan. He was really good as a sophomore (14 ppg) but he's not starting this year and averaging less than 7 ppg. Other players have emerged ahead of him. Nice piece off the bench but he's not one of their better players this season.
Isn't it curious how much this parallels that 2013 Florida game. They lost because they were down a star and when said star came back he didn't start, iirc.

Reaction Score
Some of you are overthinking this. We're 15-4. We're very good. What happens 2 months from now has no determination on that. The NCAA tournament doesn't determine whether you were good or not.

Reaction Score
Lol fine I’ll take out “best player” but the point still stands. And why are you getting mad? All I did was point out he’s a very important and good player for them that they didn’t have.
Your schtick just gets really old, really fast. You come on here spewing one narrative after another based on "facts" that are all easily disproven. But it's certainly a me problem, you very well could enjoy being miserable as a fan

Reaction Score
Why reading is so difficult for some really makes me question my alma mater's education.

"Are we better than Auburn right now? I do not know, but we were absolutely the the better team that game." I said it for you, I do not need a paragraph to convince me Auburn may be the better team today.
All you do is create false narratives and argue against them. You suggested i thought our win was flukey which I never said. This whole thing started when I responded to Big Ern and i disagreed that every team we have played so far we are better than. It wasn't about just that game. Of course we were better that day. We won and shot the lights out captain obvious. Perhaps you are the one with the reading issues and you also insult and judge people who you know nothing about. Quite a killer combo. I'm done. Not gonna waste my Sunday responding to "the smartest guy in the room."

Reaction Score
we've struggled with St. Johns and Depaul (without their best player) lost to wvu, lost seton hall. I don't see Auburn having the same issues. They also didn't have one of their best players
Yep, and West Virginia and Seton Hall are showing that they are not that good, I agree with what you are saying here. This team is ugly offensively and if fans don't see that then they are just being entitled UConn fans. Are we a good team, yes, but certainly not a top 10 team. Would we beat Texas Tech right now, how about Arkansas, Kentucky, Villanova? I'm not so sure. Let's see how we do against Creighton, who has struggled but can show that they can score during season.

Reaction Score
Flanigan averaged 14 points last year and is slowly coming back. What would the boneyard be like if we didn’t have that type of player for half the season?
I'm not sure what you are arguing about. The fact that Flanigan has only played in 9 of Auburn's 21 games and is averaging less than 7 ppg means Auburn is pretty good without him. They haven't missed him. Would they be better if they had him for a full season completely healthy? Sure, I'd bet on that. But they're 20-1 and ranked #1 without that Flanigan.

But if you're going to argue this point about Auburn then ask yourself where would UConn be if they were completely healthy all season? What if everyone played every game? Would they have only 2 losses? 1 loss? So it goes both ways here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The next 4 games will tell us if UConn is a very good team, good team or average team. DH bragged about his depth yet he doesn't use it to his advantage and that will be his Achilles heal. His leash on some are way too long and on too many too short.
DePaul has played teams very well at home but to be missing by far their best player and to walk away with that crappy victory is something the top teams don't do. Without Cole that is a 15 point loss to a 1 league win opponent. Sanogo looked like he didn't want to play in the 1st half and Martin was very sub par. These are supposedly the teams two strongest players on the front line - can't have that. You can excuse poor shooting but you can't excuse lack of desire and execution - more than 13 turnovers which resulted in over 16 points for the opponent is pitiful.
Let's cast this performance as an anomaly, however, I am afraid this team is very capable of more of these going forward unless certain things change. It's crunch time.

Reaction Score
Wrong. We're not a one and done team at all. Too many upper class men and we have Adama and Andre.

I believe it said potentially an Elite 8 team but also “could be one and done.” Last nights team hardly deserved a seeding and one and done would have a good chance to occur.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I believe it said potentially an Elite 8 team but also “could be one and done.” Last nights team hardly deserved a seeding and one and done would have a good chance to occur.
I'll remain a big picture guy. Can't sweat the small stuff in January.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom