We have 4 of the 8 pieces locked in for a deep tourney run | The Boneyard

We have 4 of the 8 pieces locked in for a deep tourney run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have always felt that we have all the pieces and talent on this team to make a Final Four run. Before the season even started KO said that this is the most talented team he has coached here at UCONN and I am sure KO still believes that. Given all our talent Coach has emphasized two key points that players must do in order to accomplish the high expectations that the coach, the players, and the fans have for this years team. Those two points are: 1) Players must know their roles and 2) players must fill their minutes.

Going into conference play, in my opinion, 4 players in what will be our 8 man rotation have accomplished both key points, those four being: 1)Shonn Miller, 2) Purvis, 3) Facey, and 4) Calhoun. The other four, Hamilton, Gibbs, Brimah, and Adams, are still in the process; some players are closer to understanding their roles and filling their minutes more so than others. If the rest of the players figure it out before March then I don't care who we face, I like our chances verses any other team.

The 4 Locked in Pieces:

1) Shonn Miller:

a) His role: He understands he is a physically gifted (strength and athleticism wise) power forward, and has been playing that way for most of the season. When he gets the ball he is not settling for jump shots but he is using his strength and athleticism to get to the rim and he either finishes with authority, draws contact and gets to the line, or he finishes with a soft touch within 10 ft of the basket. Miller does have a good looking shot where he can take and make the mid range shot, and he can even step behind the arc. However, the fact that he has taken less than five 3 pointers 12 games into the season as compared to when he took over 100 last year shows you the attacking mindset he has this year. I would have to think that is exactly what KO wants from him. The occasional 3 is certainly a bonus. KO has said (when interviewed by Joe D) that Miller has been playing well but Miller can play better once SM realizes just how good he is. From KO's own words he thinks that there is no one in the college bball who can guard SM one on one. KO wants to make SM the focal point of the offense b/c SM can score at very efficient rate and can draw the double team which allows the guards more room to operate.

b) Filling his minutes: Miller has been scoring at a very good rate. He is averaging 13ppg while playing 25 mpg, and at a very efficient 64% field goal percentage. He is also 2nd on the team in blocks and has a respectable 5 reb per game. I think he can improve in the rebounding category (and I believe he will, especially with Brimah injured). Miller needs to be more conscious of not making silly and early fouls that leads to him sitting on the bench for large stretches of the game.

2) Rodney Purvis:

a) His role: Being aggressive on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Rodney's is at his best when he takes advantage of his strength and speed. When Purvis is driving to the rim generally good things happen. While he has been shooting it very well from behind the arc he is at his best when he is aggressively looking to drive to the hoop; when he gets the momentum going its like watching a bull in a china shop. Purvis is also the best defender amongst the guards on the team.

b) Filling his minutes: Purvis is our leading scorer and he is scoring at very healthy 51% FG%, while shooting above 40% from behind the arc. He is clearly getting better at finishing at the rim compared to the start of the season, and hopefully he continues to improve on that part of the game. Purvis has attempted more free throws than anyone else on the team (42) just one more than Miller (41) and those two guys will likely be the top 2 for the rest of the season because of their style of game (aggressively taking it to the basket). However, as everyone knows Purvis' FT % is his achilles heel. Shooting at 50% from the charity stripe is just not acceptable and he knows that (Miller is shooting at 73% for comparison sake). I think his free throw shooting has improved over the course of the season but there is still much more to be desired. He needs to improve because we can't have other teams employ hack a Purvis (like texas did in the final minute). Can't have him subbing in and out at a critical time of the game and he can't leave critical points off the board against teams like SMU and when we get to March. But overall he has been playing very well and is one of the team leaders.

3. Kentan Facey:

a) His role: Bringing the energy and doing the dirty work. I love what Facey brings to the team. He is our best rebounder (in terms of per min), especially on the offensive end. It seems if he is not getting an offensive rebound he is always getting at least his hands on the ball which helps by reducing any chance the opposing team has in breaking out on a fast break. Although he is rather skinny he seems to hold his weight when facing guys who have 50 pounds on him. He will also be the one who receives most of Dham's lobs while Brimah is out.

b) Filling his minutes: He fills his minutes better than anyone else on the team. His per 40 is 12ppg and 13rpg. He has 2 career double doubles (1 against central and the other last year). I would be shocked if he doesn't double that (pun intended) before Brimah comes back. He is filling his minutes really well and as a result he is getting more minutes.

4. Omar Calhoun:

a) His role: Providing senior leadership, bringing energy off the bench, and being a offensive spark plug off the bench. Defense was never Omar's strong suit but this year he realizes that minutes are hard to come by with all the talent on the team and he seems to be giving a lot of energy on the defensive end. Calhoun has also matured over the past season as a basketball player. While he is shooting very well from behind the arc, he has been much more selective this year as to when to shoot the three, and he is looking to be more than just a 3 point shooter. I have been pleasantly surprised at how often Calhoun has looked to take it to the rim or shoot a mid range shot. He has the ability to get points in more ways than just from behind the arc. Most importantly while many of us know that Calhoun came in as a top 25 recruit and had a very promising freshman year things have not panned out has he and fans have hoped in terms of production and minutes, but through it all even now Omar has been nothing but smiles and positive energy. Many other players in his position would have jumped ship or be a cause for disfunction in the locker room, Omar has been the upset; loyal to the end and well liked by the coaches, teammates, and fans.

b) Filling his minutes: While Omar has been scoring in more ways than just the three, he is still looked at as three point threat that gives the team greater spacing, and Omar has been delivering from behind the arc shooting at a clip of 45% (his best season from behind the arc)! Omar is also shooting a team leading 87% from the free throw line. He came up big against Ohio State, while Omar does not need to average double figures and likely won't, I have no doubt that he will deliver that 10-15 point performance in other games going into the future.

The Likely next piece to fall in place:

At this point I am tired of writing, so I will just get straight to the question of why I don't consider Dham as a locked piece of the puzzle (I think most others can figure out Adams and Gibbs, and there are more than enough threads on Brimah). There is no doubt that Dham is a stud. He is clearly a special talent, and arguably our best player, and he is a triple double watch every time he steps on the court. His ppg, rpg, assists, FT%, FG%, steals and bpg are all up from last year. His Assist to turnover ratio has also significantly improved.

But here is whats missing:

a) His role: At this point Dham is lacking a bit of basketball maturity. On the defensive end he consistently leaves his man to double team the guy with the ball or to take a swipe at the ball from behind. On a number of occasions his on ball transition defense has been nothing more than lazy attempts to steal the ball only to have the guy go by him. On the offensive end he needs to be more aggressive in looking for his own shot and turn a few more of the lobs into floaters (which to be fair I think he has done a better job of that recently). The other aspect he needs to improve on is his body language. Too often after a turnover or a bad shot (or sometimes when he does nothing wrong) he has his head down. As one of the leaders on the team he needs to realize his teammates feed off of him and he can't let one bad shot affect his next shot. Dham is such a humble and great guy but he needs to realize that on the court he's got to be a fighter.

b) Filling his minutes: Dham fills his minutes probably better than any player in college basketball not named Kris Dunn and Denzel Valentine. The only part of his game that he can improve upon is getting to the line more often. Dham only gets to the line on average 2 times per game. As the star of our team he should be shooting from the charity strip about twice as often as he does right now. Yes a big variable are the zebras but some of it has to do with the style of play. For comparisons sake Valentine attempts 4 free throws a game, and this is even more amazing bc more than half (yes 7.5 out 13.3!) of Valentine's shots come from behind the arc. Dunn also shoots more than 5 times on average from the free throw line per game while taking about the same amount of 3s as Dham. Dham needs to look to draw more contact by going into the defender's body as opposed to fading away from contact when he drives to the hoop. Anyone who watches basketball knows that stars get a more favorable treatment on calls, we saw it happen with Kemba and Bazz. Hamilton is a star and he just needs to start believing he is one.

I know my take on Dham maybe a bit harsh but thats only because he has the ability to be an even better player. He is well on his way and I believe he will be the next solved piece of the puzzle.

As for Gibbs, Adams, and Brimah they are not there yet, and thats all I will write because I have written way too much at this point.

Reaction Score
I have always felt that we have all the pieces and talent on this team to make a Final Four run. Before the season even started KO said that this is the most talented team he has coached here at UCONN and I am sure KO still believes that. Given all our talent Coach has emphasized two key points that players must do in order to accomplish the high expectations that the coach, the players, and the fans have for this years team. Those two points are: 1) Players must know their roles and 2) players must fill their minutes.

Going into conference play, in my opinion, 4 players in what will be our 8 man rotation have accomplished both key points, those four being: 1)Shonn Miller, 2) Purvis, 3) Facey, and 4) Calhoun. The other four, Hamilton, Gibbs, Brimah, and Adams, are still in the process; some players are closer to understanding their roles and filling their minutes more so than others. If the rest of the players figure it out before March then I don't care who we face, I like our chances verses any other team.

The 4 Locked in Pieces:

1) Shonn Miller:

a) His role: He understands he is a physically gifted (strength and athleticism wise) power forward, and has been playing that way for most of the season. When he gets the ball he is not settling for jump shots but he is using his strength and athleticism to get to the rim and he either finishes with authority, draws contact and gets to the line, or he finishes with a soft touch within 10 ft of the basket. Miller does have a good looking shot where he can take and make the mid range shot, and he can even step behind the arc. However, the fact that he has taken less than five 3 pointers 12 games into the season as compared to when he took over 100 last year shows you the attacking mindset he has this year. I would have to think that is exactly what KO wants from him. The occasional 3 is certainly a bonus. KO has said (when interviewed by Joe D) that Miller has been playing well but Miller can play better once SM realizes just how good he is. From KO's own words he thinks that there is no one in the college bball who can guard SM one on one. KO wants to make SM the focal point of the offense b/c SM can score at very efficient rate and can draw the double team which allows the guards more room to operate.

b) Filling his minutes: Miller has been scoring at a very good rate. He is averaging 13ppg while playing 25 mpg, and at a very efficient 64% field goal percentage. He is also 2nd on the team in blocks and has a respectable 5 reb per game. I think he can improve in the rebounding category (and I believe he will, especially with Brimah injured). Miller needs to be more conscious of not making silly and early fouls that leads to him sitting on the bench for large stretches of the game.

2) Rodney Purvis:

a) His role: Being aggressive on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Rodney's is at his best when he takes advantage of his strength and speed. When Purvis is driving to the rim generally good things happen. While he has been shooting it very well from behind the arc he is at his best when he is aggressively looking to drive to the hoop; when he gets the momentum going its like watching a bull in a china shop. Purvis is also the best defender amongst the guards on the team.

b) Filling his minutes: Purvis is our leading scorer and he is scoring at very healthy 51% FG%, while shooting above 40% from behind the arc. He is clearly getting better at finishing at the rim compared to the start of the season, and hopefully he continues to improve on that part of the game. Purvis has attempted more free throws than anyone else on the team (42) just one more than Miller (41) and those two guys will likely be the top 2 for the rest of the season because of their style of game (aggressively taking it to the basket). However, as everyone knows Purvis' FT % is his achilles heel. Shooting at 50% from the charity stripe is just not acceptable and he knows that (Miller is shooting at 73% for comparison sake). I think his free throw shooting has improved over the course of the season but there is still much more to be desired. He needs to improve because we can't have other teams employ hack a Purvis (like texas did in the final minute). Can't have him subbing in and out at a critical time of the game and he can't leave critical points off the board against teams like SMU and when we get to March. But overall he has been playing very well and is one of the team leaders.

3. Kentan Facey:

a) His role: Bringing the energy and doing the dirty work. I love what Facey brings to the team. He is our best rebounder (in terms of per min), especially on the offensive end. It seems if he is not getting an offensive rebound he is always getting at least his hands on the ball which helps by reducing any chance the opposing team has in breaking out on a fast break. Although he is rather skinny he seems to hold his weight when facing guys who have 50 pounds on him. He will also be the one who receives most of Dham's lobs while Brimah is out.

b) Filling his minutes: He fills his minutes better than anyone else on the team. His per 40 is 12ppg and 13rpg. He has 2 career double doubles (1 against central and the other last year). I would be shocked if he doesn't double that (pun intended) before Brimah comes back. He is filling his minutes really well and as a result he is getting more minutes.

4. Omar Calhoun:

a) His role: Providing senior leadership, bringing energy off the bench, and being a offensive spark plug off the bench. Defense was never Omar's strong suit but this year he realizes that minutes are hard to come by with all the talent on the team and he seems to be giving a lot of energy on the defensive end. Calhoun has also matured over the past season as a basketball player. While he is shooting very well from behind the arc, he has been much more selective this year as to when to shoot the three, and he is looking to be more than just a 3 point shooter. I have been pleasantly surprised at how often Calhoun has looked to take it to the rim or shoot a mid range shot. He has the ability to get points in more ways than just from behind the arc. Most importantly while many of us know that Calhoun came in as a top 25 recruit and had a very promising freshman year things have not panned out has he and fans have hoped in terms of production and minutes, but through it all even now Omar has been nothing but smiles and positive energy. Many other players in his position would have jumped ship or be a cause for disfunction in the locker room, Omar has been the upset; loyal to the end and well liked by the coaches, teammates, and fans.

b) Filling his minutes: While Omar has been scoring in more ways than just the three, he is still looked at as three point threat that gives the team greater spacing, and Omar has been delivering from behind the arc shooting at a clip of 45% (his best season from behind the arc)! Omar is also shooting a team leading 87% from the free throw line. He came up big against Ohio State, while Omar does not need to average double figures and likely won't, I have no doubt that he will deliver that 10-15 point performance in other games going into the future.

At this point I am tired of writing, so I will just get straight to the question of why I don't consider Dham as a locked piece of the puzzle (I think most others can figure out Adams and Gibbs, and there are more than enough threads on Brimah). There is no doubt that Dham is a stud. He is clearly a special talent, and arguably our best player, and he is a triple double watch every time he steps on the court. His ppg, rpg, assists, FT%, FG%, steals and bpg are all up from last year. His Assist to turnover ratio has also significantly improved.

a) His role: At this point Dham is lacking a bit of basketball maturity. On the defensive end he consistently leaves his man to double team the guy with the ball or to take a swipe at the ball from behind. On a number of occasions his on ball transition defense has been nothing more than lazy attempts to steal the ball only to have the guy go by him. On the offensive end he needs to be more aggressive in looking for his own shot and turn a few more of the lobs into floaters (which to be fair I think he has done a better job of that recently). The other aspect he needs to improve on is his body language. Too often after a turnover or a bad shot (or sometimes when he does nothing wrong) he has his head down. As one of the leaders on the team he needs to realize his teammates feed off of him and he can't let one bad shot affect his next shot. Dham is such a humble and great guy but he needs to realize that on the court he's got to be a fighter.

b) Filling his minutes: Dham fills his minutes probably better than any player in college basketball not named Kris Dunn and Denzel Valentine. The only part of his game that he can improve upon is getting to the line more often. Dham only gets to the line on average 2 times per game. As the star of our team he should be shooting from the charity strip about twice as often as he does right now. Yes a big variable are the zebras but some of it has to do with the style of play. For comparisons sake Valentine attempts 4 free throws a game, and this is even more amazing bc more than half (yes 7.5 out 13.3!) of Valentine's shots come from behind the arc. Dunn also shoots more than 5 times on average from the free throw line per game while taking about the same amount of 3s as Dham. Dham needs to look to draw more contact by going into the defender's body as opposed to fading away from contact when he drives to the hoop. Anyone who watches basketball knows that stars get a more favorable treatment on calls, we saw it happen with Kemba and Bazz. Hamilton is a star and he just needs to start believing he is one.

I know my take on Dham maybe a bit harsh but thats only because he has the ability to be an even better player. He is well on his way and I believe he will be the next solved piece of the puzzle.

As for Gibbs, Adams, and Brimah they are not there yet, and thats all I will write because I have written way too much at this point.

Great analysis!

I love Miller and Purvis. Love how they played against Texas. It's amazing how athletic Miller is. He's got pogo sticks for legs. It was nice watching him play with his back to the basket, and go up with a little jump hook. Purvis showed a lot of poise and maturity. Really carried the team late in the game.

Kentan has been excellent. I love how hard he plays - you're always gonna get a 110% effort out of the kid. And Calhoun has been a pleasant surprise. He's returned to form if you will. I am very happy for him. It's a nice luxury to bring in a sniper off the bench. Both these guys truly understand their roles.

I totally agree with what you said about DHam. Kid's so versatile, can do so many things. I'm always amazed at his rebounding. His passing ability is sensational. He does a little bit of everything. He's a stud, but he needs to step out on the court, and realize he's the best player out there every night. And definitely agree on taking it into the defenders body more. Just be more aggressive. He'll get there - it's been real nice watching his development. He is a joy to watch.

As far as Gibbs, Adams, and Brimah:

I think Gibbs is still getting acclimated to his new team, and a new role. At Seton Hall, he was The Man. He's playing with much better players, and I think he's kind of stuck in-between a guy who is a gunner and a playmaker. His role as a playmaker is severely diminished on this team. He's a very experienced player, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Adams is a freshman. He's an exceptional talent, and will be the next great guard here. He'll have those games where he will leave you breathless, and others where you will be scratching your head. Like all freshman. He'll come along and be counted on to do much more next year. And I'm sure he will deliver.

Brimah is........injured.
He is what he is a long, athletic shot blocker. He makes the team better at the defensive end. The team is better with him. He had shown great improvement from last year. He's never gonna dominate offensively, but so far, he has played to his strengths.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

The 4 Locked in Pieces:

1) Shonn Miller:

2) Rodney Purvis:

3. Kentan Facey:

4. Omar Calhoun:

Agree about Hamilton being close but not quite there yet.

I want him to develop a killer instinct, finish through contact at the hoop (like Miller), and just generally staying aggressive and confident always.

Easier said than done, but I hope he gets there.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You're forgetting that as a unit, this team plays wildly inconsistent defense. I think this thread is more applicable come March just to see if our ability on the defensive side of the ball matures or not.

Reaction Score
I like what I've seen from Dham as of late. He's not only trying to shoot more, he's actually doing it pretty successfully. IMO all he's really missing is some three point shooting consistency.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nice write-up, it was very enjoyable to read. I agree with a lot of what you said. Have to disagree with one point on Hamilton; he's a guy whose game is predicated on high-percentage looks, either through shots of his own or setting up teammates for open looks from 3 or easy dunks or layups. I don't want him bowling into defenders and making his shot more difficult; unlike Purvis, he's got the height to get an easy look over defenders in the paint. He's doing just fine offensively; I'm more confident with the ball in his hands than anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score
Nice write-up, it was very enjoyable to read. I agree with a lot of what you said. Have to disagree with one point on Hamilton; he's a guy whose game is predicated on high-percentage looks, either through shots of his own or setting up teammates for open looks from 3 or easy dunks or layups. I don't want him bowling into defenders and making his shot more difficult; unlike Purvis, he's got the height to get an easy look over defenders in the paint. He's doing just fine offensively; I'm more confident with the ball in his hands than anyone else on the team.

I definitely understand what your saying and I agree that I'm most confident with him having the ball in his hands than just about anyone else (and this is not a knack on the other players). As KO said before the Texas game (paraphrasing here): "Everyone calls Dham a point forward, and they can call them whatever they would like, but to us he is our point guard" So KO trusts him with the ball and he is a great facilitator.

But as the star of the team he needs to get to the line more. For comparison sake Kemba in 2011 and Bazz in 2014 went to the line on average of 6 time per game; that is three times the rate Dham is currently averaging! And unlike last year Dham has been a great free throw shooter this year. Besides the freebie points from the charity stripe getting into the line helps out by getting the opposing bigs in early foul trouble.

When we look at the Maryland game it shows the importance of drawing contact and getting to the free throw line. Melo shot 15 (yes 15) free throw against us! And as a result he got 14 freebie points. Dham played well and didn't miss one free throw the entire game, the problem was that he only shot 4 free throws in total. At the same time Diamond Stone had a big game against us and he only had 2 fouls the whole game. Diamond was the only other player on Maryland besides Melo who scored in double figures. If we had Dham getting to the line more and getting Stone in early foul trouble we would not have trailed by so much and may have had a different ending. This example is meant to highlight and give more meaning to the importance of the stats behind our star player drawing contact and getting to the line.

Dham doesn't need to necessarily "bulldoze" people over (to be frank only three guys can really do that on our team Purvis, Miller, and Enoch). Kemba and Bazz couldn't bulldoze people over either, but they were very savvy with using body contact to draw the fouls. To be fair both Kemba and Bazz mastered the art as upperclassmen, Dham is still a sophomore. I hope he gets better at it, and I think he will. This is why I labeled what he is missing as basketball maturity (nothing to do with talent or ability), sometime it just takes time, and this is why I think Dham would really benefit from staying one more year (but thats a whole another topic that we are a few months away from!)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I definitely understand what your saying and I agree that I'm most confident with him having the ball in his hands than just about anyone else (and this is not a knack on the other players). As KO said before the Texas game (paraphrasing here): "Everyone calls Dham a point forward, and they can call them whatever they would like, but to us he is our point guard" So KO trusts him with the ball and he is a great facilitator.

But as the star of the team he needs to get to the line more. For comparison sake Kemba in 2011 and Bazz in 2014 went to the line on average of 6 time per game; that is three times the rate Dham is currently averaging! And unlike last year Dham has been a great free throw shooter this year. Besides the freebie points from the charity stripe getting into the line helps out by getting the opposing bigs in early foul trouble.

When we look at the Maryland game it shows the importance of drawing contact and getting to the free throw line. Melo shot 15 (yes 15) free throw against us! And as a result he got 14 freebie points. Dham played well and didn't miss one free throw the entire game, the problem was that he only shot 4 free throws in total. At the same time Diamond Stone had a big game against us and he only had 2 fouls the whole game. Diamond was the only other player on Maryland besides Melo who scored in double figures. If we had Dham getting to the line more and getting Stone in early foul trouble we would not have trailed by so much and may have had a different ending. This example is meant to highlight and give more meaning to the importance of the stats behind our star player drawing contact and getting to the line.

Dham doesn't need to necessarily "bulldoze" people over (to be frank only three guys can really do that on our team Purvis, Miller, and Enoch). Kemba and Bazz couldn't bulldoze people over either, but they were very savvy with using body contact to draw the fouls. To be fair both Kemba and Bazz mastered the art as upperclassmen, Dham is still a sophomore. I hope he gets better at it, and I think he will. This is why I labeled what he is missing as basketball maturity (nothing to do with talent or ability), sometime it just takes time, and this is why I think Dham would really benefit from staying one more year (but thats a whole another topic that we are a few months away from!)

Yeah, but you keep comparing D-Ham to guards that are 6 to 8 inches shorter than he is. The reason Shabazz and Kemba and Melo draw more fouls is because they can't shoot over the trees in the paint; their best bet to score is to use their quickness to force the big man to foul them so they get free throws, and maybe are fortunate enough to have the heavily contested shot going in as well. D-Ham is much taller and can see over those big men, and shoot over them much more easily. If he can get off a high percentage shot, or set up an easy two for Brimah or Miller I'd rather he do that than force himself into contact to try to draw a foul.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but you keep comparing D-Ham to guards that are 6 to 8 inches shorter than he is. The reason Shabazz and Kemba and Melo draw more fouls is because they can't shoot over the trees in the paint; their best bet to score is to use their quickness to force the big man to foul them so they get free throws, and maybe are fortunate enough to have the heavily contested shot going in as well. D-Ham is much taller and can see over those big men, and shoot over them much more easily. If he can get off a high percentage shot, or set up an easy two for Brimah or Miller I'd rather he do that than force himself into contact to try to draw a foul.

Dham is listed at 6-7; shoots at 46% and 33% from the 3. Comparing him to other stars similar to his height:

- Caris LeVert (6-7): 4.8 Free throw Attempts per game, and LeVert shoots has a better field goal percentage (51% from field, and 45% from 3%)
- Kyle Wiltjer (6-10): 4.5 FTA/per game, shoots at 46% from the field and 41% from 3.
- Damion Lee (6-6): 5.0 FTA/game, shoots at 49% from the field and 38% from the 3.
- Jaylen Brown (6-7): 6.1 FTA/game, shoots at 46% from the field and 27% from the 3.
- Ben Simmons (6-10): 7.3 FTA/game, shoots at 57% from the field

Everyone listed is either the same height or taller than Dham and shooting at the same or better rate than DHam from the field, but the other players are getting to the line at two to three times higher rate than Dham. The fact that Dham is taller than either Kemba or Bazz means he has a higher chance of finishing through the contact around the rim.

When playing in March free throws and fouls will play an important role in getting wins against really good teams. Dham can still shoot the mid-range shot and be a playmaker for his teammates (not an either or situation), but it makes his job much easier when the defendants are giving him a little more room to operate in hopes of avoiding getting another foul called.

At this point I guess we can agree to disagree.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Well another problem with this that he only goes to the rim a few times a game and settles for close range jumpers or those one handed floaters he loves. He has the size to just lay it up or dunk sometimes and he doesn't even try to. He isn't very assertive.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller seems to be getting more comfortable of sure and he is a great piece, one we haven't really had for a while.

Rodney is getting better every game, tough kid and has made himself a solid 3 point shooter. Needs to make FT's so we have our best players in at the end of games though. But his defense has been the best on the team and he gets the tough assignments and for the most part has been great.

Kentan is a pleasant surprise. He has proven to be a very good rebounder, and in traffic while above the rim. Has a nice little offensive game underneath also using both hands on put backs. His minutes will go up, needs to stay out of foul trouble with Miller too.

Omar is a great story and has proven he can be firepower off the bench. His minutes will vary based on making shots and play on offense. But it's a nice piece to have come off the bench capable of throwing in 12-18 on a given night.

Sterling is taking a little time to get settled and seems to be getting there. 0 TO's the other night was excellent and his FT's makes him someone we can get the ball to late. He will improve his 3 point shooting and the best is yet to come. I will add Jalen to this portion because he is the key to Sterling getting even more looks. He's the guy who can help penetrate and kick, like DHam and get SG more looks.

DHam has been very good on the offensive end, now looking for his shot a little more than last year. I like him even better down there without AB because he's not really going to the basket thinking he has that outlet lob to AB, rather looking to finish himself. D needs to get better but I think he'll be fine. Special kid (watched UCLA last night his brother does so many things the same, run, pass, dribble and even stand it's crazy)

AB will be a nice piece when he comes back obviously and will share more time with Facey now I believe. The could potentially play a few together too, but the need to protect the hoop will be a nice thing especially late or when someone is getting to the hole. But KF's advantage rebounding and battling for others has impressed and becomes a very important part as we try to score and run. He also threw a great outlet off a rebound to Purvis for a lay in which AB doesn't do. I expect these 2 to always see similar minutes but a nice 1-2 in that area.

Reaction Score
Excellent assessment.

I think the Gibbs/Adams roles are a bit uncomfortable to fill out, because you have a 5th year senior and a freshman, both new to the team, both struggling to determine what level of leadership and responsibility they should claim.

I want to see Adams in the Khalid El-Amin role, a freshman who, despite his age, is the on-ball leader of this team. Gibbs should play mostly off the ball and be the spot-up shooter who benefits from the attention drawn by Adams or Hamilton.

Gibbs has struggled big-time as a facilitator and on the dribble-drive, but if he focuses on positioning himself to be a 40-45% shooter from deep, that's an element we really need and that he can provide.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Dham is listed at 6-7; shoots at 46% and 33% from the 3. Comparing him to other stars similar to his height:

- Caris LeVert (6-7): 4.8 Free throw Attempts per game, and LeVert shoots has a better field goal percentage (51% from field, and 45% from 3%)
- Kyle Wiltjer (6-10): 4.5 FTA/per game, shoots at 46% from the field and 41% from 3.
- Damion Lee (6-6): 5.0 FTA/game, shoots at 49% from the field and 38% from the 3.
- Jaylen Brown (6-7): 6.1 FTA/game, shoots at 46% from the field and 27% from the 3.
- Ben Simmons (6-10): 7.3 FTA/game, shoots at 57% from the field

Everyone listed is either the same height or taller than Dham and shooting at the same or better rate than DHam from the field, but the other players are getting to the line at two to three times higher rate than Dham. The fact that Dham is taller than either Kemba or Bazz means he has a higher chance of finishing through the contact around the rim.

When playing in March free throws and fouls will play an important role in getting wins against really good teams. Dham can still shoot the mid-range shot and be a playmaker for his teammates (not an either or situation), but it makes his job much easier when the defendants are giving him a little more room to operate in hopes of avoiding getting another foul called.

At this point I guess we can agree to disagree.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see D-Ham making poor decisions with the ball out there; he usually takes good shots, and he assists at a much better rate than anyone you listed above. He really is unique, although I wouldn't mind him going to the basket a little more often when he has an open lane. Just don't want to see him force his way into the paint when there's a defender there and he's got a wide open 10 footer.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You're forgetting that as a unit, this team plays wildly inconsistent defense. I think this thread is more applicable come March just to see if our ability on the defensive side of the ball matures or not.

True, and it's really going to be hard to judge this until amida not only gets back on the floor, but returns to form (no snark please).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Without accounting for match ups or foul trouble, this is what you should be seeing. Crunch time minutes go to the hot hands amongst the OC and the three guards. At the end of the game RP and his 54% FT percentage is on the bench.

PG - Gibbs (20) Adams (20)
SG - Purvis (30) Gibbs (10)
SF - DHAM (25) OC (15)
PF - Miller (25) DHAM (10) Facey (5)
C - Brimah (30) Facey (5) Enoch/Nolan (5)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Without accounting for match ups or foul trouble, this is what you should be seeing. Crunch time minutes go to the hot hands amongst the OC and the three guards. At the end of the game RP and his 54% FT percentage is on the bench.

SF - DHAM (25) OC (15)

Facey needs more than 10 minutes though. 20 at least. Brimah with likely end up w 25, given fouls, so Facey would pick those up.
And in meaningful games, Enoch/Nolan don't have to leave the bench. So there's another 5 for Facey.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

SF - DHAM (25) OC (15)
I bet Brimah fouls out every game if he gets 30 minutes. And if Facey gets 5 minutes less than what he's getting now we're doing him and our team a huge disservice.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment of DHam and the others.
I'm not seeing a F4 run unless something drastically changes with our defensive aptitude and energy.

I think we're all still hoping this team finds a cohesive rhythm known by most as "chemistry".
Gibbs is struggling with it mightily and it seems to be slowing this entire team's progress.
I'm in favor of more inside-out play with Adams, DHam and Miller controlling the action with all the other guards spacing outside the arc (including Purv).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom