We got what we deserved. | The Boneyard

We got what we deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was a wildly inconsistent team. No one ever figured out their roles. And they made a million unforced errors. Yes, they showed a lot of toughness. But if we're honest, they also made bad things go worse.

So as Bill Parcells says, "You are what your record says you are." And we are.

When the NIT starts I will root for the Huskies to win. Since we're in it we might as well win it. But we're in it because we couldn't beat Houston or Yale. We got what we deserved.

Reaction Score
This is why you can't get too bent out of shape about today's result. In the immediate aftermath, sure, but this team was in a win or go home situation for a reason.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just feel so empty. You saying that doesn't even make me mad. It just goes right through the hole in my heart.

Reaction Score
How happy were you typing up this post?
No, I'm not. This year killed me. But it is what it is.

I will be wildly optimistic next year but that is a long time away. So, I'll watch the NIT.

But the truth is the truth. And someone had to write it. And it helps me cope.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe we are left out of the Tournament until I see the whole field of 68 revealed. ESPN can only make an educated guess. Maybe someone in the selection committee gave us a chance. I mean we have 20 wins for Gods sake. And we beat SMU once and gave them a fight today. us getting to the final should be enough proof we can win games. We could probably surprise a lot of people if we were given a chance to defend our title. Complete bs to leave us out.

Reaction Score
Your right though. I mean we had the tourney at home. What more can we ask for?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This was a wildly inconsistent team. No one ever figured out their roles. And they made a million unforced errors. Yes, they showed a lot of toughness. But if we're honest, they also made bad things go worse.

So as Bill Parcells says, "You are what your record says you are." And we are.

When the NIT starts I will root for the Huskies to win. Since we're in it we might as well win it. But we're in it because we couldn't beat Houston or Yale. We got what we deserved.
What I saw was grit and pluckiness by this team. The run today was without Ryan. It was a young team construction wise. Every thing hinges on how quick Jalen figures how to fit in with this team. If he can do it right away, play defense (my big concern with him) this team has a lot to be excited about next season.

Reaction Score
What I saw was grit and pluckiness by this team. The run today was without Ryan. It was a young team construction wise. Every thing hinges on how quick Jalen figures how to fit in with this team. If he can do it right away, play defense (my big concern with him) this team has a lot to be excited about next season.
I'm just not ready for next season.

I just want to win the first game in the NIT.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm just not ready for next season.

I just want to win the first game in the NIT.
Not jumping ahead. And yet I am. Going to the NCAA would have been great for the fans and Ryan even if they were eliminated in the first game. But going deep in the NIT gives the core group next season more tournament experience. If we had a decent shot to make the sweet sixteen I would have been devastated by not making it. But my feeling is that was unlikely with this team.

Hopefully Ryan looks at the big picture, gets over his disappointment and tries to motivate his team mates in the NIT tournament to prep them for next season.

Reaction Score
Ryan has been a great Husky. He has a ring. But let's judge him on what he has accomplished. A nice season. But we didn't make the NCAA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This team exemplified the Parcells' quote. Know who really hates that quote? Fans of teams who are inconsistent. They want to believe the good was better than it was and that the bad really wasn't that bad. But Parcells was right. A 20-14 college bball team means you beat most of the teams you were supposed to beat, beat a few you weren't supposed to beat and lost to teams you shouldn't have lost to but did.

I said in the chatroom today that this team is the island of misfits from "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer". So many pieces that don't perform their function. TSam is a PG that can't shoot or dribble and is average at defense and getting to the rim. He isn't above average in any PG skill. Omar is a SG that refuses to shoot when he is open from 3, can't dribble or beat a defender off the bounce. Facey is a PF that doesn't guard the rim. Phil is a PF/C that can't do anything substantive and Amidah is a C who can't rebound. Sam Cassell Jr is a combo guard who is slow and can't shoot.

The only returning players with plus skills for their position or that can do things outside the expected skillset for their position are Purvis and DHam. Rubin is what you expect from a broad shouldered undersized freshman PF.

So that's it. Two players who are above average for their position, a freshman reserve PF who may develop and a C who is a terrific shotblocker and average offensive player.

This team needs Adams to come in from day 1 with El-Amin's swagger and needs one more recruit from any position willing to grab 20 minutes a game by the throat.

Reaction Score
This team exemplified the Parcells' quote. Know who really hates that quote? Fans of teams who are inconsistent. They want to believe the good was better than it was and that the bad really wasn't that bad. But Parcells was right. A 20-14 college bball team means you beat most of the teams you were supposed to beat, beat a few you weren't supposed to beat and lost to teams you shouldn't have lost to but did.

I said in the chatroom today that this team is the island of misfits from "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer". So many pieces that don't perform their function. TSam is a PG that can't shoot or dribble and is average at defense and getting to the rim. He isn't above average in any PG skill. Omar is a SG that refuses to shoot when he is open from 3, can't dribble or beat a defender off the bounce. Facey is a PF that doesn't guard the rim. Phil is a PF/C that can't do anything substantive and Amidah is a C who can't rebound. Sam Cassell Jr is a combo guard who is slow and can't shoot.

The only returning players with plus skills for their position or that can do things outside the expected skillset for their position are Purvis and DHam. Rubin is what you expect from a broad shouldered undersized freshman PF.

So that's it. Two players who are above average for their position, a freshman reserve PF who may develop and a C who is a terrific shotblocker and average offensive player.

This team needs Adams to come in from day 1 with El-Amin's swagger and needs one more recruit from any position willing to grab 20 minutes a game by the throat.
Pretty good summation and a very accurate analogy. Basic fundamentals are sorely lacking, both with guards that can't dribble and forwards that can't rebound. Brimah better LIVE in the weight room this off-season and Omar should be strung up if he doesn't have a basketball in his hands for every waking moment between now and next season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pretty good summation and a very accurate analogy. Basic fundamentals are sorely lacking, both with guards that can't dribble and forwards that can't rebound. Brimah better LIVE in the weight room this off-season and Omar should be strung up if he doesn't have a basketball in his hands for every waking moment between now and next season.

I don't care if Brimah spends a second in the weight room. I'd play him pick up games four hours a day. Every time a shot goes up and he doesn't box out, it's fifty push ups and two sets of stairs. He'll be plenty strong.

Reaction Score
I don't care if Brimah spends a second in the weight room. I'd play him pick up games four hours a day. Every time a shot goes up and he doesn't box out, it's fifty push ups and two sets of stairs. He'll be plenty strong.
i like it

Reaction Score
The two guards he gets compared to had a hell of a lot more to work with than Boatright did.
Yes, that's true. But. We didn't make the tourney. Those guards won the NCAA.

I love Ryan. Just as I love every Husky. But I believe we had enough to make the tourney.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's true. But. We didn't make the tourney. Those guards won the NCAA.

I love Ryan. Just as I love every Husky. But I believe we had enough to make the tourney.

As someone who saw all these AAC teams up close the last 4 nights, as deeply flawed as UConn was this year, there was enough to be better than what we were. Those are all beatable teams. And the fact we finished in 6th? Disturbing.

There is no reason why this team should be losing by 17 on their home court at any point with the crowd they had today.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Yes, that's true. But. We didn't make the tourney. Those guards won the NCAA. I love Ryan. Just as I love every Husky. But I believe we had enough to make the tourney.

We did have enough. But we didn't play D against Yale, Texas, Memphis and Houston at the end of games we had won. So we earned our lot.

Reaction Score
not gonna win games scoring 18 points in the half. Teams are going to double boatright any chance they get to put the ball in someone elses hands. Purvis was making shots, but its no secret Uconn doesnt have many consistent offensive weapons.

C

Chief00

We controlled our own destiny on Selection Sunday. That's all you can ask for. We did not have the talent or chemistry to beat a better team.

Reaction Score
not gonna win games scoring 18 points in the half. Teams are going to double boatright any chance they get to put the ball in someone elses hands. Purvis was making shots, but its no secret Uconn doesnt have many consistent offensive weapons.

The staff had plenty of chances to try to fix those abysmal starts and find a way, any way, to generate some O and couldn't figure it out. Concerning. The team was at their best playing free, fast, and loose (usually when down late and with strong sense of urgency).

I'll accept SMU is a better team. I'll be damned if I accept falling down 17 points in front of an electric home crowd. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom