We got that one right. | The Boneyard

We got that one right.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looking back at some posts and comments from October of last year, I came upon this one that the voters got right, how did they know???

Which returning player do you think will show the greatest amount of improvement this season?
Poll closed Nov 6, 2016.

1. Katie Lou
    23 vote(s)
    13.4%

2. Gabby Williams
    17 vote(s)
    9.9%

3. Napheesa Collier* winner of the poll vote.
    74 vote(s)
    43.0%

4. Natalie Butler
    41 vote(s)
    23.8%

5. Saniya Chong
    12 vote(s)
    7.0%

6. Kia Nurse
    3 vote(s)
    1.7%

7. Tierney Lawlor
    2 vote(s)
    1.2%

8. And it begs the same question for the upcoming season, who will be the most improved of all the returning players?

Reaction Score
I'll go with Dangerfield. Sometimes the digestive process of experience takes a little while, but for the good ones, once they "get it" it sticks. I have a feeling that at some point this year maybe early, she's going to " get it".

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Last year there were ample opportunities for 2015-16 role players to get more shots and play longer minutes. That will not be the case this upcoming year with 3 All Americans/Nurse/Stevens back.

That said, if you look at players who return and have a good chance and being rotation players, you have:
-Collier, I don't see how she can have a much better season than last year...maybe improved ability to create her own shot? Have a better showing at the Final Four? That's all I have.

-KLS, she was "streaky" by UCONN standards in stretches last year. She could do a better job of creating for herself off the dribble or driving and dishing but that has never been a point of emphasis for wings in Geno's offense. Won't be her.

-Williams, if she develops a better perimeter shot she'll be truly unstoppable. I think her ceiling is the highest of anyone at Connecticut.

-Nurse, she has been a very consistent role player for 3 years now. You know what you'll get night in and night out. She could also work on creating her own shot and driving to create for others, but I don't see her being markedly better this upcoming season

-Dangerfield, she's my pick. I think she is the rawest of the 5 returnees and is the least developed when you look at her potential. I think she'll improve and take on a bigger role, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see her make a bigger jump the following season when she'll likely be a starter.

My guess is player improvement isn't going to be a story line this upcoming year like it was in 2016-17. It'll be how UCONN blends in new talent with their 4 returning starters and Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
".....who will be the most improved of all the returning players?"

:rolleyes: My two are Azura and Batouly. Both averaged 0 min, 0 reb, 0 asst, 0 blks, 0 steals. I see a 1000% increase easy ;).

Of the returning players that actually "played" last year I believe Kyla will make a huge jump. She is only averaged 2 ppg last year and should easily double to triple that amount.

Reaction Score

:rolleyes: My two are Azura and Batouly. Both averaged 0 min, 0 reb, 0 asst, 0 blks, 0 steals. I see a 1000% increase easy ;).

Of the returning players that actually "played" last year I believe Kyla will make a huge jump. She is only averaged 2 ppg last year and should easily double to triple that amount.

1000000% of 0 is still 0.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While my head says Danger will be the most improved, my heart says Kyla.

Kyla demonstrated steady improvement as a freshman, and I believe she will be much stronger, quicker and more effective as a sophomore. I don't believe Kyla will passively sit back and concede playing time to the redshirts or incoming freshmen, and that competition will be good for all concerned.

Reaction Score
Yes, Dangerfield.

Danger started like a house on fire---had defense and concussion issues. Near the end of the year and in NCAA games--Danger got the nod from Geno--it is not always how much time a kid gets--it's when that time is given. I think Geno showed his trust of her as the season wound down.
Danger was, is and shall be high on my list of WCBB point guards.

Reaction Score

Interesting math! Because Kyla showed jumps of improvement last year---I'd say Molly may be the most improved starting this year.
Yet saying that--unless that improvement is huge--i suggest she'll sit more than some new kids (Megan/Gordon).

Reaction Score
I'm most surprised that Kip or another one of our diction police didn't point out the incorrect use of the phrase "begs the question" in #8. ;)

Seriously, I also like Kyla as the dark horse here. It depends on whether she can establish herself over and against Batouly for playing time as first sub coming in for the front court.

Like BroadwayVA, I'd love to see Molly here, but I also think that the remarkably talented freshmen guards will take those opportunities.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Last year there were ample opportunities for 2015-16 role players to get more shots and play longer minutes. That will not be the case this upcoming year with 3 All Americans/Nurse/Stevens back.

That said, if you look at players who return and have a good chance and being rotation players, you have:
-Collier, I don't see how she can have a much better season than last year...maybe improved ability to create her own shot? Have a better showing at the Final Four? That's all I have.

-KLS, she was "streaky" by UConn standards in stretches last year. She could do a better job of creating for herself off the dribble or driving and dishing but that has never been a point of emphasis for wings in Geno's offense. Won't be her.

-Williams, if she develops a better perimeter shot she'll be truly unstoppable. I think her ceiling is the highest of anyone at Connecticut.

-Nurse, she has been a very consistent role player for 3 years now. You know what you'll get night in and night out. She could also work on creating her own shot and driving to create for others, but I don't see her being markedly better this upcoming season

-Dangerfield, she's my pick. I think she is the rawest of the 5 returnees and is the least developed when you look at her potential. I think she'll improve and take on a bigger role, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see her make a bigger jump the following season when she'll likely be a starter.

My guess is player improvement isn't going to be a story line this upcoming year like it was in 2016-17. It'll be how UConn blends in new talent with their 4 returning starters and Dangerfield.
thanks for your interest in "UConn Womens Basketball"... lol (one of the dumbest comeback lines in forums history). :rolleyes: I wonder if a UConn fan could get away with a similar post on a LV board. This is the greatest board in America

seriously, thanks for the solid summary

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For me no one rushes to the head of the line. I do hope that the Crystal supporters are right, because we need it to be right, but I have to say my totally baseless gut feeling is that there is a chance we may be seeing just about the best Crystal right now.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
For me no one rushes to the head of the line. I do hope that the Crystal supporters are right, because we need it to be right, but I have to say my totally baseless gut feeling is that there is a chance we may be seeing just about the best Crystal right now.
most thought of Jefferson the same way... her jumper was awful

Reaction Score
I somewhat sympathize, Rocky. But I also think about how supremely talented a passer Crystal is and how when the game slows just a little for her she will have such deliciously inviting targets in the fast-break and up-tempo offense, especially this year when rebounding won't be as much of a problem.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I find it amazing 43 people voted for Butler. Great kid but lost in the UCONN system. You could see the distrust of her teammates. She would be wide open and a teammate would look at her and pass to someone else. Possible exception was Chong. I think it was an empathetic thing.

For 2017-18 I am voting for the same kid I voted for last season - Collier. Her overall game will be even better.

Most improved implies the kid must have played the year before? What about a kid that did not play a single game. I suspect perhaps many BYers don't see the greatness that is in Stevens. Or at least we seem more pessimistic about Stevens (She won't start?!) and we were more optimistic about Butler. Azure will blow the minds of most BYers with a stellar season. While she was at Duke I tried to watch as many games as I could. Even as a frosh she was really good. Having been tutored by CD and Marisa for two years she will have a much better season than we, including me, hoped for Butler. I am not demeaning Butler. She is a great kid. Stevens is just much more talented and skilled.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Last year there were ample opportunities for 2015-16 role players to get more shots and play longer minutes. That will not be the case this upcoming year with 3 All Americans/honorable mention AA Nurse & Stevens back.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
My guess is player improvement isn't going to be a story line this upcoming year like it was in 2016-17. It'll be how UConn blends in new talent with their 4 returning starters and Dangerfield.

It'll be how UConn blends in new talent with their 4 returning plus Stevens starters and Dangerfield.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
supremely talented a passer Crystal is

I agree, but she also will telegraph and refuse to pull back and toss one away. This, I would hope, will become a thing of the past.

Reaction Score
I find it amazing 43 people voted for Butler. Great kid but lost in the UConn system. You could see the distrust of her teammates. She would be wide open and a teammate would look at her and pass to someone else. Possible exception was Chong. I think it was an empathetic thing.

Wow. I think I saw every game that was televised (and was at a bunch) and never drew that conclusion. I think we all knew that, if she were just 3/4 the player of Stef Dolson, all would be well in Storrs. So a lot of the voting was wishful thinking. It turned out that, had Natalie become that, the semi-finals might have turned out differently.

I agree that she's a wonderful, wonderful kid, but again, I just don't get your assessment that she was "lost in the UConn system." I don't even know what that means. Are suggesting that at some point the coaches gave up on her? I ask that honestly. It wasn't my impression, but that's the sort of stuff that's hard to know for outsiders like myself.

Reaction Score
I'm most surprised that Kip or another one of our diction police didn't point out the incorrect use of the phrase "begs the question" in #8. ;)

Seriously, I also like Kyla as the dark horse here. It depends on whether she can establish herself over and against Batouly for playing time as first sub coming in for the front court.

Like BroadwayVA, I'd love to see Molly here, but I also think that the remarkably talented freshmen guards will take those opportunities.

As for me --I only BEG forgiveness--not questions, unfortunately I have more of them/those than answer--
You are correct. Also, IMO Molly gives Uconn, even the bench, a wholesome look--I cheered her loudly this past year. I hope she see fit to break losses and forget her class status, which I think hindered her this past season.

Am I pauxatawany (sp) phil--but didn't some of those listed Graduate/leave??

Reaction Score
Wow. I think I saw every game that was televised (and was at a bunch) and never drew that conclusion. I think we all knew that, if she were just 3/4 the player of Stef Dolson, all would be well in Storrs. So a lot of the voting was wishful thinking. It turned out that, had Natalie become that, the semi-finals might have turned out differently.

I agree that she's a wonderful, wonderful kid, but again, I just don't get your assessment that she was "lost in the UConn system." I don't even know what that means. Are suggesting that at some point the coaches gave up on her? I ask that honestly. It wasn't my impression, but that's the sort of stuff that's hard to know for outsiders like myself.

Butler wasn't lost in the UConn system. My early opinion, which I kept to myself, was she shouldn't have been picked up by Geno. She was not as I believe she would have been. BUT--BUT, she was needed often during the year and she handled her assignments to the best of her ability.
IMO she performed to the extent of her physical being and talent. Vowel guy didn't like me saying this in a previous; Butler posting:
I believe there was a game or 3 that without her, Collier/Gabby may have fouled out --thus IMO Butler saved those game. And I credited her with those wins.
Butler is not without intelligence and departed rather than sit--I believe.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I think about the premise of this thread, I just might beg to differ. While Pheesa's improvement was tremendous, you can make the case that the greatest improvement last season was "Big Game" Gabby Williams, who went from solid reserve to AA & DPOY.

Here's another thought. While I've already backed Kyla for "most improved player" this coming season, just think about the possibility that Gabby, with her incredible work ethic, just might be the most improved player this coming season... :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score

Because of the timing of this OP thread it is near impossible to assess any of the past season and new incoming players ---for "most improved"

I confess, I'm a Danger lover since before she wore a UC uniform. Biased as can be. Collier is in that category, but she mostly proved her abilities this past year--yet, she shall improve. I could list KLS, Gabby, Nurse--but that would be redundant.

Your assesssment that we shall need Crystal Dangerfield this coming year, I believe is accurate. We had only one real opportunity to see that talent take over a game --and Geno rode that horse to the end of the game--with his go win em comments. Geno knows she can do it and if pushed hard will do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom