We got out-toughed today | The Boneyard

We got out-toughed today

Reaction Score
Very much so. The full court pressure didn’t cause a lot of turnovers but it wore out guys down and made them tentative. We were outcoached badly too. Sanogo not returning to the game after being dominant in the beginning of the second half was weird.

Reaction Score
And outcoached. If there was no one on the sidelines for SJ we still would’ve been outcoached. Hurley and Martin being allergic to making easy shots lost us this game.

Reaction Score
Danny doesn’t trust Gaff because he’s shaky. Cole needs help.

Reaction Score
We just aren’t that deep when it comes to scoring, we and I have said it before, NEED Gaffney to do something. Only Bouknight and Polley can get us points and only if Polley is on. Everyone else you just can’t count on. I do like Martin, need a guy like that but he is what he is and I can live with that. Missing that one other scorer and I think Gaffney or Jackson has to be that guy and I’m not sure they’re ready.

Reaction Score
Out coached and cmon we are not that good without Bouk and Polley being on fire. Polley cooled off and we are now have a team full of role players with no star.

Reaction Score
Out coached and cmon we are not that good without Bouk and Polley being on fire. Polley cooled off and we are now have a team full of role players with no star.
Sanogo looked like a star today. It was probably the match up but he was awesome today.

Reaction Score
When you let your opponent drive inside for layup after layup its not hard to see why they lost this game. Hate to agree but the Johinnies just out fought UConn for the win. That should never happen, especially at home.

Reaction Score
At some point you have to sit Martin for a period of time if he keeps missing these layups also. Love the kid and he’s a very good all around player, but these things add up to losses.

Reaction Score
Sad to say.
Completely agree. St Johns had a little junkyard dog in them that we couldn’t match right now. Maybe we got a little full of our press clippings. A good gauge should be the first half of next game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Completely agree. St Johns had a little junkyard dog in them that we couldn’t match right now. Maybe we got a little full of our press clippings. A good gauge should be the first half of next game.
Even when we were controlling the game early, Posh was confident, like he knew he was the best and toughest guard on the floor and he would will it to happen one way or another.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley's terrible coaching yesterday notwithstanding, I really like Mike Anderson as a coach. His teams always play fast and hard. I think he would have made a Final Four or two by now if he hadn't taken the Arkansas job. Arkansas is one of the worst jobs in college basketball. There is no natural recruiting region where Arkansas has an advantage, it doesn't play in a great conference, and no kids remember a time when the program was any good.

Nolan Richardson was able to succeed during a window of time when Prop 48 dramatically changed recruiting, and allowed coaches like him and Tarkanian to scoop up top talent that they otherwise would have had no shot at. No coach has been able to come close to their success at Arkansas or UNLV since. That is not an accident.

Anderson wasted the prime of his career at a place where he could not be really successful.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just don’t understand how Posh can score in the paint against our shotblockers with ease but Cole literally gets his shot blocked EVERY time he drives.

Because other than that one drive on the fast break where Cole pseudo-Eurostepped there is no nuance to his penetration game. He's slow, with short arms and can't touch the rim. Compared to AG, he doesn't fall down as much. But, Cole has to realize his man oftentimes funnels him into the heart of the defense because Cole isn't an on the fly distributor and can't finish for himself. Give Cole two dribbles towards the rim in the halfcourt set and results are rarely good for UConn.

I don't think Gaff has shown the ability to run this team but I did mention in another thread he's had one drive each of the past three games where he just exploded (well, kinda exploded) past his man, got separation and elevated for a layup. Those are plays Cole is unable to make. Unfortunately, Gaff isn't doing anything elese to warrant playing time.

Reaction Score
Even when we were controlling the game early, Posh was confident, like he knew he was the best and toughest guard on the floor and he would will it to happen one way or another.
St Johns had five junk yard dogs on the floor for their second half run.. I say that as a compliment.. They didn't back down.. Kept playing D.. Kept attacking the rim.. Challenging UConn to stop them.. Which they didn't do this game..

Give credit where credit is due.. Their coach took away one of our advantages ..AS..by going small.. Their team toughness was evident to me..

Reaction Score
If we left Sanogo in, we wouldn't have been out-toughed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom