We Don't Chase Victories, Victories Chase Us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We Don't Chase Victories, Victories Chase Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
I wish people would stop taking Ollie's quotes and sticking them into places where they make absolutely no sense. Victories aren't "chasing" UConn Football.

And since we're apparently in an exhibition season that I didn't know existed before HCBD told me about it last weekend, we aren't chasing victories until Week 4 either. But yeah...ten toes in and we take the stairs and whatever else. Woo hoo!

You utterly missed the point of Ollie's statement.

Right now, victories are to UConn football as national championships are to UConn basketball. You have to pursue excellence for a while before either victories or championships arrive. But, they will arrive. Not because you schemed your way to victory with better play designs, George DeLeone style. Because you pursued excellence in all aspects of the sport for an extended period of time. Championships seek out the most excellent team. Victories seek out the excellent football team. Pursue excellence, and victories will chase the team.

Reaction Score
You utterly missed the point of Ollie's statement.

Right now, victories are to UConn football as national championships are to UConn basketball. You have to pursue excellence for a while before either victories or championships arrive. But, they will arrive. Not because you schemed your way to victory with better play designs, George DeLeone style. Because you pursued excellence in all aspects of the sport for an extended period of time. Championships seek out the most excellent team. Victories seek out the excellent football team. Pursue excellence, and victories will chase the team.

Since you feel compelled to call out the BY in your OP, this is the dumb. Beyond dumb. It's not inspirational at all. What is the point of this post other than telling everyone who criticized Diaco's handling of the BYU game to shut up? This supposed to make us all feel better Stuart Smalley?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
FWIW, someone played an apologista card in one these threads w/in the last couple of days. I think it's way too early to be drawing those lines, but if it comes to that, I want to be on record as preferring the term diacolyte.

pj

Reaction Score
Since you feel compelled to call out the BY in your OP, this is the dumb. Beyond dumb. It's not inspirational at all. What is the point of this post other than telling everyone who criticized Diaco's handling of the BYU game to shut up? This supposed to make us all feel better Stuart Smalley?

Did I tell anyone to shut up? No. Did I say I was trying to inspire anyone? No. Do I think the people who want to maximize the chances of winning game 1 and object to playing a large fraction of the roster, when the whole roster needs to improve and younger inexperienced players may be able to leapfrog older more experienced players, are misguided? Yes. Do I think playing time for the younger players, and competition for playing time for the older players, will help both to improve? Yes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did I tell anyone to shut up? No. Did I say I was trying to inspire anyone? No. Do I think the people who want to maximize the chances of winning game 1 and object to playing a large fraction of the roster, when the whole roster needs to improve and younger inexperienced players may be able to leapfrog older more experienced players, are misguided? Yes. Do I think playing time for the younger players, and competition for playing time for the older players, will help both to improve? Yes.

I don't think anyone has complained about playing the whole roster. They have only pointed out that playing the whole roster was evidence that the game wasn't the first priority.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hide behind a bush and then club the victory in the head when it ambles past. Or, put a rope loop on the ground and then tie the other end to the top of a tree - when the victory steps in the loop, the tree snaps up and you can just go cut the victory down. (Saw that one in a roadrunner cartoon.) Or, get a mannequin and make sure it's showing some leg - the victory will get those crazy spinning eyes and come running over where you can grab it. (Heckle and Jeckle.)

There's more than one way to skin a cat, you guys.

reclaiming_gods_hope.jpg
I can live with either the Roadrunner or the Heckle & Jeckle approach. Both are an improvement over what we had here for a little more than two seasons, when victories were Bugs Bunny and we were Elmer Fudd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom