We do not have the management to be Big Time | The Boneyard

We do not have the management to be Big Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sad, sad reality this morning. We do not have the administrative commitment to be a big time program in football.

There is no reason that Paul Paqualoni, and George Deleone should be employed as football coaches for the University of Connecticut, other than the administration is not committed, understanding.

Anyone watchign the game, seeing all those LOAFs out there, seeing the players giving up. Combined with the body of work that has led to 10-18, reduced down to the common denominator of the past 2 weeks, and the complete, undeniable demonstration that these players are playing for these coaches, not because they want to, but because they have to.....

It's time for change.

I can honestly say this morning, that I'm so very disappointed in my alma mater's management of this program, that I don't know where to go from here. In the past several years, I don't spend a lot, but I'm increased what i send in regularly, to the point that this past year was the most ever - for my budget.

I simply don't see the need to do that anymore if the administration can't see how glaringly necessary change is right now.

I'll continue buying my tickets, because I love football, but above and beyond that. I'll have a hard decision to make in a few months - because nothing was done now.

Reaction Score
Its early Carl. By 11am, Warde will have had enough time to make an announcement. Hughes as interim, PGDL out.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Serious question: Even if Warde pulls the trigger on PP now, what guarantee do we have that GDL also goes? Usually the staff remains until the end of the season. Without PP there, no one has to listen to GDL on play calls.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd accept them being fired as late as tomorrow... but only reluctantly. No reason to wait. Otherwise I largely agree, Carl.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Nothing to keep Hughes from making GDL the Get Back coach.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Sad, sad reality this morning. We do not have the administrative commitment to be a big time program in football.

There is no reason that Paul Paqualoni, and George Deleone should be employed as football coaches for the University of Connecticut, other than the administration is not committed, understanding.

Anyone watchign the game, seeing all those LOAFs out there, seeing the players giving up. Combined with the body of work that has led to 10-18, reduced down to the common denominator of the past 2 weeks, and the complete, undeniable demonstration that these players are playing for these coaches, not because they want to, but because they have to.....

It's time for change.

I can honestly say this morning, that I'm so very disappointed in my alma mater's management of this program, that I don't know where to go from here. In the past several years, I don't spend a lot, but I'm increased what i send in regularly, to the point that this past year was the most ever - for my budget.

I simply don't see the need to do that anymore if the administration can't see how glaringly necessary change is right now.

I'll continue buying my tickets, because I love football, but above and beyond that. I'll have a hard decision to make in a few months - because nothing was done now.

The jury is still out. But the verdict will be in shortly...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Serious question: Even if Warde pulls the trigger on PP now, what guarantee do we have that GDL also goes? Usually the staff remains until the end of the season. Without PP there, no one has to listen to GDL on play calls.

I've said this on a few other threads last night but I'll say it again to put everyone's mind at ease: There is a HIGHER likelihood that GDL is gone than that PP is gone. So that means if PP is gone, they're both gone.

The reason I'm saying that is due to the fact that the only move....THE ONLY MOVE....that Warde made in the off-season was a forced OC removal of GDL. That's why Weist is here. Warde understands the source of the problem. Now, let's see if he has the stones to do something about it...

Reaction Score
Why wait? Look at USC, they fired Kiffin a few hours after that pathetic display they put on last night. When a guy isn't "the guy", you can't be afraid to pull the trigger. Pasqualoni is a pathetic has been that shouldn't be in charge of anything.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The two of them go together. It's that simple. Anything else is foolishness.
Well there's also the matter of having a staff down two coaches. So you bump up one of the coordinators to interim HC, and you're down two position coaches. Who can you find to fill those positions at this time of year? Nobody wants to take that job when they know WM's going to clean house at the end of the year.

I'm not saying it's not possible to fire both PP + GDL, but I am saying it makes 0-12 much more of a possibility. 2-10 may not mean much to fans but 0-12 probably gets UConn a bit more bad press and maybe hurts recruiting more.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well there's also the matter of having a staff down two coaches. So you bump up one of the coordinators to interim HC, and you're down two position coaches. Who can you find to fill those positions at this time of year? Nobody wants to take that job when they know WM's going to clean house at the end of the year.

I'm not saying it's not possible to fire both PP + GDL, but I am saying it makes 0-12 much more of a possibility. 2-10 may not mean much to fans but 0-12 probably gets UConn a bit more bad press and maybe hurts recruiting more.

Coaches can do two things at the same time, right? I mean, GDL used to be the OC AND the OLine coach, so... :confused:

But seriously. You move Foley to take care of the OLine AND the TE's. Weist stays WR AND OC, as he currently is. And Hughes is the interim AND the DLine. Worst case scenario, if you are worried about the DLine suffering from Hughes' other duties, is you bring in a former player to work with them (Martin? Wirth? whatever).

The only difficulty will be following the recruiting targets properly. But finding two new coaches would not be necessary to change our fortunes, IMHO...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Warde has to put together an announcement, have a press conference, be ready to field some questions

although he should have been working on his announcement for the last two seasons. If he hasn't been, well that's just lack of preparation.

I'm sure glad the kids work hard in practice, I hope he still doesn't consider that enough to keep PeePee

Reaction Score
2-10 and 0-12 are the same thing to recruiting. More important is being decisive and making a change for a turnaround. I won't profess to know coaches, but whoever takes over better be high energy, high personality guy who can connect with and appeal to kids.

Reaction Score

Managment, AD's, administration at "big time" football schools earn their money by having plans and lists of coaches, and courses of action to take regarding all this stuff - ready at all times. The concept of a coaching staff remaining intact for long periods of time, and by that more than a few years at most, is NOT the normal thing in college football. Having Randy Edsall in place for 12 years, is not the normal thing in college football. Having a head coach go 5-7, 5-7 and then 0-4 in the fashion we have, and still have a job - is NOT the normal thing in football.

I have not had any sense....YET....that Warde Manuel is over his head and not up for the job we need to be in place.....but I'm worried this morning.

There should be a swift course of action ready to be taken, to establish an interim system, identify a new head coach, and shuffle the coaching staff in the interim, and it should have been a plan of action ready to be put in place as of last December, and if not by then, certainly after the opening night blowout loss to Towson.

The fact that it has not yet happened, is a problem.

Reaction Score
I should amend that - the only reason that coaching staff's in college football remain intact to a relative degree over long periods of time, is when they win regularly over time.

Warde Manuel, is used to having consistent head coaching in his experiences iwth Michigan, becuase they win regularly.

Dick Rod, brought them two losing seasons and was out on his .

What's the difference here? I'm getting more and more angry as every minute passes that Pasqualoni is still the head coach, and Deleone still has an office at my alma mater, and his. Insulting.

Reaction Score
I should amend that - the only reason that coaching staff's in college football remain intact to a relative degree over long periods of time, is when they win regularly over time.

Warde Manuel, is used to having consistent head coaching in his experiences iwth Michigan, becuase they win regularly.

Rod, brought them two losing seasons and was out on his .

What's the difference here? I'm getting more and more angry as every minute passes that Pasqualoni is still the head coach, and Deleone still has an office at my alma mater, and his. Insulting.
He should be on the phone with Burton as we speak..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom